Going back to Windows 8.1 without a recovery disk

bobbob1016

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to try Windows 10 on my Winbook TW801, and it works well. However, I'm a little weary of the reporting home thing I've read about. I understand and agree with it, just I didn't think they'd be taking what I type. Again, I agree with their reasoning, just it isn't for me. I want to go back to 8.1, but as it came with 8.1 with Bing, and my backup of the recovery partition apparently didn't work, so I don't have that anymore. I have found that I can't really get Windows 8.1 with Bing without going to Microcenter (the manufacturer), which is in Atlanta and I'm in South Florida... I have a copy of 8.1 Pro on USB (with a legit serial of course), does anyone know if that is installable on a tablet that shipped with 8.1 with Bing?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
You can get the correct, non-pro recovery media here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

However, why did your backup image not work? Assuming you used Windows own mechanism to make the image, and assuming you have a modern UEFI booting PC, and assuming you are backing up to a large external HDD partition (over 2TB in size) which is common these days, I know why it failed.

Whilst you can back up a GPT partition (all Windows UEFI boot partitions are GPT) to another GPT partition (all Windows partitions over 2TB are GPT and smaller ones may be GPT), trying to restore results in a cryptic error. You need to move the backed up image over to an MBR partition, then you will be able to restore it to your GPT boot drive.

This is a tough tip to come by, as few 'experts' seem aware of it. So note it down in a readme file on your backup drive. It does mean your backup image will probably still work, so no need to mess with a repair install.

bobbob1016

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
You can get the correct, non-pro recovery media here:
Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help

However, why did your backup image not work? Assuming you used Windows own mechanism to make the image, and assuming you have a modern UEFI booting PC, and assuming you are backing up to a large external HDD partition (over 2TB in size) which is common these days, I know why it failed.

Whilst you can back up a GPT partition (all Windows UEFI boot partitions are GPT) to another GPT partition (all Windows partitions over 2TB are GPT and smaller ones may be GPT), trying to restore results in a cryptic error. You need to move the backed up image over to an MBR partition, then you will be able to restore it to your GPT boot drive.

This is a tough tip to come by, as few 'experts' seem aware of it. So note it down in a readme file on your backup drive. It does mean your backup image will probably still work, so no need to mess with a repair install.

It wouldn't boot for some reason, even though I used the tool built in to Windows. I'm more of a Linux/Android guy (typing this from a Linux machine). I've tried that link, but that brings me to Windows 8.1, not "Windows 8.1 with Bing", which is what I have the key "baked in to my BIOS" for. I found a script on HowToGeek that gave me my serial, but that is once I was on Win10. Not sure if that was for Win10, or Win 8.1 w/Bing, but it didn't work with Win 8.1 either way. I've been told I can't get 8.1 w/Bing without returning to the manufacturer, in this case Microcenter. The issue there is I bought it from a reseller on Amazon, and Microcenter has issue there, as that was bought 3rd party (didn't think new in box would matter really with that, lesson learned there).

I have a key for 8.1 Pro, my basic question is whether it would work on this, Winbook TW801, as the installer doesn't see my touchscreen, but I'm not sure if it'll get drivers eventually, or if I'm making things worse.

madgibbon

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
Sure, you can install Windows 8.1 Pro on your Winbook. The initial Windows installation will require at least a mouse as it doesn't have the drivers for your touch screen. Once Windows has installed you might be lucky and Windows Update will find a driver for your touch screen and any other missing drivers. Failing that you might have to rely on Google/Forums to find the correct drivers.

While it wont help you now I use Double Driver to extract and backup all drivers from my machines before installing/reinstalling Windows. Once Windows has installed you can use Double Driver to restore any missing drivers. This has worked great for me when playing some of they lesser known Chinese tablets where the company doesn't supply drivers on their web sites.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte