Not able to pin apps to start screen WIndows 10 10159

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone else having problems not being able to pin apps to the start screen? It doesn't matter what app I try to pin. I upgraded from 8.1 and used the 10130 ISO, then used windows update to get to 10159.

I'm also not able to get Library folders to pin in the Quick Access toolbar in file explorer.​

Jim Oles

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
Same problem: Windows 8.1, Windows Update to 10130, Windows Update to 10159 (Surface Pro 3, 256, 8)
Works on 2nd PC: Window 8.1, Update to 10130, Windows Update to 10158, Windows Update to 10159 (Surface Pro 3, 128, 4)

Removing all the tiles and rebooting and refining seems to fix the problem .... so far.

Last edited:

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a lot for chiming in with your solution. I started unpinning tiles and got my "Office" section that was pinned in the third column of grouped tiles all the way to the right. I decided to reboot before unpinning all the rest of my tiles and try to see if I could then pin a tile. Well, it worked. lol. So, I got to thinking it was a problem with a tile in that group. So, I started pinning them one at a time. After the first one was pinned, I could no longer pin any tiles again. So, I moved that group so that I only ended up with 2 columns of grouped tiles instead of 3 and low and behold I could pin tiles again. Come to find out, the real problem is you can't pin tiles if you have 3 columns of tiles. If you move whatever groups of tiles you have in the 3rd column so that you only have 2, everything works fine.

Jim Oles

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site
I also found that I could drag apps from the app list to the Start Screen, but the right-click, pin to start does not work.
I was able to pin only 1 website to the Start Screen.

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a lot for chiming in with your solution. I started unpinning tiles and got my "Office" section that was pinned in the third column of grouped tiles all the way to the right. I decided to reboot before unpinning all the rest of my tiles and try to see if I could then pin a tile. Well, it worked. lol. So, I got to thinking it was a problem with a tile in that group. So, I started pinning them one at a time. After the first one was pinned, I could no longer pin any tiles again. So, I moved that group so that I only ended up with 2 columns of grouped tiles instead of 3 and low and behold I could pin tiles again. Come to find out, the real problem is you can't pin tiles if you have 3 columns of tiles. If you move whatever groups of tiles you have in the 3rd column so that you only have 2, everything works fine.

Thanks so much! This did the trick for me and saved me from having to do a clean install!

pbike908

Feb 19, 2015
Visit site
No problems pinning tiles in 10162. Highly recommend downloading the 10162 ISOs and doing a clean install. By far BEST build. I am seriously considering switching to slow ring since I like 10162 so much. Build 10162 is REALLY nice!

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I'm on vacation with my surface 3 for another week. I don't have a USB that is big enough to put the ISO on and I was hoping to not have to reinstall everything. But, with the bugs that I am seeing, I am now tempted to go find a larger USB and get it done.

kwill

May 25, 2012
Visit site
No problems pinning tiles in 10162. Highly recommend downloading the 10162 ISOs and doing a clean install. By far BEST build. I am seriously considering switching to slow ring since I like 10162 so much. Build 10162 is REALLY nice!

The problem I have right now with doing a clean install, is that I have a lot of apps and data to those apps. There's not currently a way to backup and restore like you can in Windows 8.1. Not to mention, at this juncture, Microsoft has to assume that there will be tons of people that re simply upgrading to windows 10 from 8.1. The basic function of the start menu is pinning apps to the start menu, so it should at least function without a clean install. I also have the same problem trying to pin Libraries to the Quick Access in File Explorer.

EL620

May 29, 2014
Visit site

Thanks a lot.
I just did a clean upgrade of windows 10 then installed office 2013, after placing the shortcuts on my start screen I noticed my pin to start function was broken. Finding this post saved me.

Marvin Kapllani

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Re: Not able to pin apps to start screen WIndows 10

Hello!
I don't know what the problem is but after u deactivate windows powershell, you can pin everything to start. After u finished activate it again.
Search for "Windows Features"
Deactivate "Windows Powershell"

soundscu

Sep 22, 2015
Visit site
I had this problem for several weeks, read forums including this one, none of the solutions fixed it for me. Then I tried something of my own, and it worked:

Go to Start Menu -> All Apps, right click on any program, and choose Open file location. Not all programs offer this option, hunt around and find one that does. It doesn't matter which program it is. This takes you to the Start Menu folder where all the Start Menu short cuts are.

Copy that entire Start Menu folder to somewhere outside the Windows system, just to back it up.

Delete the entire Start Menu folder from the system. You will be told you need permissions. Accept this, and continue with the deletion of the folder so that it is gone. If it goes to your trash, empty your trash. Get rid of it completely. Remember, you made a copy so you have what's in there.

Go to Task Manager, find Windows Explorer, right click, and Restart it. The screen will black out, then recover.

Go to the Start Menu. The system will rebuild it from scratch. The rebuilt version -- for me, at least -- works as it should and I can pin anything I want there. If you had shortcuts in your old Start Menu that you want to use, get them from the backup you made. Just right-click and select Pin to start.

I had my new personalized Start Menu looking exactly as I like it in about 10 minutes.

Darkdoll mAhAntA

Jun 7, 2016
Visit site
Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > in the flashing prompt, type powershell > press Enter.

Now copy and paste the following command. To avoid typo, please do use copy/paste method.

Get-AppXPackage | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
> press Enter.

When finished, restart computer.
See if that makes any difference.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes