Hi guys,

Site: https://orthodox.io/edge

I really wanted to use Microsoft Edge, but without Google being the default search it led me away. So I read up on the Open Search Standard and added a way that Google Search can be added for you to use.

Let me know if you have any feedback. This site was created as a quick exercise to do what it needs to do. If you have any requirements for the Country selection please let me know and I'll add them.

The site also provides adding search options for

• Reddit
    • Yahoo
    • Ask
    • Yandex

If you'd like any more please let me know. You can access the site @ https://orthodox.io/edge

Thanks Sandeep
    07-13-2015 01:03 PM
    Wow, amazing. Bing is horrible in Norway so this is very welcome. Any chance you could add Norway as a location? Thanks
    07-13-2015 02:05 PM
    Updated with Norway, enjoy!
    07-13-2015 02:09 PM
    Amazing. Thank you so much
    07-13-2015 02:13 PM
    I definitely understand why a lot of people, especially outside the US, would like to use something other than Bing. Bing isn't very efficient outside the US. Not exactly a closely guarded secret. For me in the US, it's great, so I am glad to do without Google. Very glad.

I applaud your efforts at assisting people to have choice and usability. Thanks for that.

I would like to point out, though, since your title stated that "not having Google as the default led you away". Can you imagine if Google Chrome browser came with Bing as the default search engine? Same analogy. Just as any browser by Google should have Google as the default search engine, any browser by Microsoft should have Bing as the default. It's a no brainer, if you think about it.

However, at the same time, in order to be open and allow competition, I believe that all browsers should allow you to change the default search engine. I'm not sure how that would affect Edge, though, since Cortana is deeply integrated and must use Bing in order to function. This is why Bing has to be the default for Edge: Cortana.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-13-2015 04:34 PM
    I understand where you're coming from, I personally prefer the results that Google provide - I had tried using Bing previously but just found more on what I was looking for with Google. I'm not bad mouthing Bing - it's just I've always found Google to provide the results I'm looking for with what I usually search (A lot of programming based searches).

The only thing the search extension does is allow someone to type through the address bar and submit to a different site. The search suggestions from the address bar are from Bing and so would everything powering Cortana. So technically you can use different search engines and not lose functionality from the browser.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    07-13-2015 04:59 PM
    Oh god! Thank you for this, bing was the only thing holding me back from using Edge as my standard browser.
    07-13-2015 07:25 PM
    Nice!!
    07-13-2015 07:47 PM
    I don't understand. In edge settings you can add all the search engines you want. It's in the advanced settings. What does this do that the setting doesn't allow?
    07-14-2015 01:43 PM
    I don't understand. In edge settings you can add all the search engines you want. It's in the advanced settings. What does this do that the setting doesn't allow?
    What do you mean? The whole issue I'm addressing is that Google isn't available as an option to be used as a search engine to search within the address bar.
    07-14-2015 01:44 PM
    What do you mean? The whole issue I'm addressing is that Google isn't available as an option to be used as a search engine to search within the address bar.
    Sorry didn't realize it only lets you select a few. Honestly Bing would get better if more people used it. It's a neural network like Google. So if people keep switching it will never become as good. I never have issues with Bing. Sometimes may need to type things more accurately and look through multiple pages. It has the capability of becoming better than google. Bing images apparently is insane compared to google. It can tell the tiniest differences apart.
    07-14-2015 02:46 PM
    Very nice and simple. Thanks.
    08-21-2015 07:06 PM
    Sorry didn't realize it only lets you select a few. Honestly Bing would get better if more people used it. It's a neural network like Google. So if people keep switching it will never become as good. I never have issues with Bing. Sometimes may need to type things more accurately and look through multiple pages. It has the capability of becoming better than google. Bing images apparently is insane compared to google. It can tell the tiniest differences apart.
    Bing is made and designed for USA only.
    Google is for everyone.

Have ever heard that people using bad service to make it as good as Google which already available.

Well a normal person will do it when he get incentives for using bad services even though good services are available.

So who will do it for free. - fans.

And do not think everyone as fans.
    Good luck with using Bing.
    08-21-2015 07:28 PM