Edge is awful

API_Rock

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
NO backward forward, no video download, no support for exchange server, are they MS going backward with their new browser, i fill IE was much much batter then Edge, I am missing IE in my windows 10 phone :(

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
NO backward forward, no video download, no support for exchange server, are they MS going backward with their new browser, i fill IE was much much batter then Edge, I am missing IE in my windows 10 phone :(

It will get updated over time. Remember they are building this from scratch.

API_Rock

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes they are but even a basic browser has these features, and if it is not final version then why they removed IE ? they should keep both till they make it final, (I know WP10 is not a final release though)

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
It will get updated over time. Remember they are building this from scratch.

No they're not. Edge uses the same rendering engine as IE, buttons, text boxes, and menus all look like IE. MS has also said they have reused some code from IE.
I'm highly skeptical of the traction Edge will gain after launch. It may be called "just IE with a new name"

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Edge is such a CPU hog when rendering web page. Not to mention it tends to hang for heavy sites (like this one). I gave Edge a try but am using Chrome full time now.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
My experience is that edge uses WAY LESS memory than all the other browsers.

Yes, I don't see Edge using more memory in my experience either. Its a lot thinner, faster and more lightweight. The more memory thing, I suspect is more of an urban legend than fact.

mccririck

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
It may use less memory than its competitors but it is not faster, struggles with ads and basically has less features than the competition. And I'm bored of the name already.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
No they're not. Edge uses the same rendering engine as IE, buttons, text boxes, and menus all look like IE. MS has also said they have reused some code from IE.
I'm highly skeptical of the traction Edge will gain after launch. It may be called "just IE with a new name"

Ehm... no... integrating a new rendering engine (HTMLEdge) that is different from IE's (Trident), is the whole point of the new browser! Without the new HTMLEdge rendering engine they might as well not have made a new browser at all. EdgeHTML includes some things from Trident, but for the most part it's rewritten from scratch.

https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/We...w-browser-and-rendering-engine-for-Windows-10

Ultra902

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I agree I get full on stutter step when scrolling with a touch pad /keyboard Logitech 400 and or my Microsoft Media Keyboard( with touch pad ) to types of touch pad keyboards to companies! Both worked fine with Windows 8/8/1 And with Chrome /Fire Fox /Opera/Internet Explorer - even these browsers on Windows 10!! I got this same issue with SPARTEN! Someone mentioned GPU which makes no sense I'm running an AMD Readon HD 6670 card - Just recently bought an Nvida GTX 745 4 gig card to test but I just don't get it !! Using the mouse button/icon ( acts as the right button ) and me scrolling when the cursor is hard pressed to the sidebard of the web page it's fine but 2 finger swiping is nothing short of hiccups even as the page scrolls it almost freezes than catches up moments later after ive already made the gesture ! Even getting the spinning blue loading wheel !! It's been a freaking nightmare ! I don't use a mouse and never will go back to a mouse !!

Rasetech

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
It uses flash because there are still more than enough sites out there that use it and its disabled by default - whats your problem?

Sagar Limaye

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
Ehm... no... integrating a new rendering engine (HTMLEdge) that is different from IE's (Trident), is the whole point of the new browser! Without the new HTMLEdge rendering engine they might as well not have made a new browser at all. EdgeHTML includes some things from Trident, but for the most part it's rewritten from scratch.

Oh thanks I didn't know that! Didn't watch that video. I thought Edge was only created so they could get rid of of IE's tarnished name, and develop it separately without losing compatibility.
But the fact that they used a little code from trident means it's not all made from scratch (and thus I didn't misinform anybody)

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Oh thanks I didn't know that! Didn't watch that video. I thought Edge was only created so they could get rid of of IE's tarnished name, and develop it separately without losing compatibility.
But the fact that they used a little code from trident means it's not all made from scratch (and thus I didn't misinform anybody)

I'd say claiming "Edge uses the same rendering engine as IE" counts as misinformation. Sorry for harping on about this. I know you didn't intentionally misinform, and we've all been wrong about stuff. It's just that this happens to a LOT of people on this site, and the sum of all the misinformation is starting to be a bit much. Maybe I'm also just having a bad day. :asleep:

Anyway, on a side note, No large piece of software is ever literally made from scratch these days. Developers always reuse other components, libraries , or bits and pieces from previous versions of the software, etc. Software development is just far too expensive otherwise.

If IE with Trident was a house with all its furnishings, development of Edge would be similar to you removing the furniture from the house, levelling everything else, rebuilding a completely new house, and then moving the furniture back in. Is it correct to say the house was not built from scratch? That's similar to what we're dealing with here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb