Be afraid of KB3105208, blue screen, repair doesn't work, system restore doesn't work

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Another post from Gabe:
Sorry everyone for the impact this update had on you. The Windows Servicing team has been working since late last night to understand what is happening here, and is pulling this package down as soon as they can.
As many have mentioned, the temporary workaround is to disable Secure Boot so that your machine can boot correctly. Once we have a fix for the issue we definitely want you to be sure to re-enable Secure Boot for your protection. I'll share more info on that when we have a fix in hand.
The series of hotfixes that we've been sending out are actually mostly "empty" (they include some config changes and test binaries) and have been for the purpose of testing our delivery pipeline. So this definitely caught us a bit by surprise that it was having this impact. We're debugging what the precise cause was, but this happening to you likely exposed a bug that we need to address - so I hope you at least feel good as an Insider that you prevented this from happening to less technically savvy customers.
Thanks everyone, and sorry again that today was a tough day to be an Insider.
g

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Well, I'm in the process of resetting my Surface 3 right now because of this. Wish I had seen this thread prior to resetting.

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
My homebuilt computer installed this update with no problems.

At least as far as I know. I haven't seen anything wrong with it. Seems to work just fine.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
There was an edit to Gabe's post on the MSFT Support forum:
***EDIT***
Users are reporting issues when trying to use a system restore point. Please DO NOT use this as a workaround while we continue investigating. This may actually put your machine in a non-booting state.
- Jason

Ethan Alvaree

Dec 18, 2014
Visit site
Here's how I fixed it on my Surface Pro 3 running build 10565. After I got the Process1_Initialization_Failed BSOD, I went into Troubleshooting > Advanced Options > Advanced Options (again) > UEFI settings, then it prompted me to restart, then it booted into UEFI/BIOS menu. From there I went to Secure Boot > Disable > Restart and I was able to boot back into desktop.

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Another post from a MSFT engineer working on this:
I'm being super transparent in what we're doing. We're ABSOLUTELY working on a post to address how to get fixed.
I am directly working with the engineers who are tackling this. Additionally, it's why I asked the "how did you try to recover" steps as it seems the path to getting fixed is different for users depending on whether they tried a system restore or not. I'm getting these details ironed out and will post an update once completed.
In the short term, this appears to be the easiest path to resolution:
Boot UEFI, disable Secure Boot
Enter Bit-locker key if required
Boot into OS
Uninstall KB3105208
Reboot machine to ensure full uninstall
Re-enable Secure Boot
If you've already tried a system restore, the path to resolution looks to have a few more steps and I'm working to outline that right now.
Once you're back up and running, please do re-enable Secure Boot. KB3105208 has been pulled from the WU server, so when your machine scans for updates again, this update will not be re-offered to your machine. You'll be in the clear.
- Jason

jtzako

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
My surface pro 2 hit this when it tried to install the new update. It would not 'repair' and there where no recovery points. However, the 'refresh' option worked fine to get it back to working.

Last edited:

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
BSOD on my Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro last night. Build 10565. Boot loops after being affected by Windows Updates. Boots up. Fails. Attempts to auto recover. Fails. Attempts diagnostic. Gives option to restore or cancel. Restore. Fails. Reboots in a cycle like that.

At the option to restore or cancel, select cancel and it reboots and give you advance settings. There, you go under Troubleshoot and find the system restore point option. Restore it to last known good restore point - fails. Rebooted fine and says restore point successful.

I thought it was a fluke, so I created a test restore point. Performed Windows Update again. Same updates downloaded and installed. Rebooted to same BSOD and boot loop issue. Performed the restore point again. Boots up fine. Performed built in Windows disc cleanup. Opting to delete all non essentials. Rebooted several times with no issues. Turned off unit for the night after putting it into airplane mode just in case.

Today, I checked for updates again. Those updates are gone. Prob bad KBs.

anon(9630986)

Sep 3, 2015
Visit site
Hello guys. I'm just a regular windows 10 user. Not in the insider program or anything. Sorry to hear about all these BSODs, but I just want to thank you for all the effort and hard work going into this testing. I know for every bug you find in the program, thats one less for the regular users. Hopefully we'll see the day when a Windows update will be as trusted or as second nature as an iOS update. I really appreciate this. (hope I don't sound like a "user")

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I had this update just yesterday and got that same error. PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED
It tried to recover but that didn't work. What did work is a shutdown and normal restart. I read
were Microsoft devs were pulling this update down to investigate whats up with it. But it didn't work for me either.

sheldon cohn

May 15, 2015
Visit site
The software should be tested prior to release, even to us insiders, I worked with computers over 50 years. Software is generally tested prior to release, after all the idea is test the software without making
the device unusable. I have dealt with a manager who could manage people, but didn't have the foggiest of the technical end. I'm wondering if Microsoft has managers that should be replaced by more
technical people. Then maybe builds will actually be better then the previous build.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
The software should be tested prior to release, even to us insiders, I worked with computers over 50 years. Software is generally tested prior to release, after all the idea is test the software without making
the device unusable. I have dealt with a manager who could manage people, but didn't have the foggiest of the technical end. I'm wondering if Microsoft has managers that should be replaced by more
technical people. Then maybe builds will actually be better then the previous build.

With this many people currently in this program, I doubt the concern is that high if a few of us have an issue. They fall back on our decision to join the program and if you make too much noise, you get heat from WC.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa