Change "home" to "Professional" ?

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I have a Surface 3. Right now it is running W10 Home (insider build) and I would like to change it to W10 Professional.

Normally I would just download the professional version and reinstall, but the Surface 3 has no available drivers (that I know of) right now, making that option an impossibility.

Is there another way to achieve this?

I've tried googling, and all I can seem to find is ways people find to get free copies of whatever, or how to purchase keys through the store for release versions. Nothing comes up for changing versions of an insider release.

BaritoneGuy

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
I have a Surface 3. Right now it is running W10 Home (insider build) and I would like to change it to W10 Professional.

Normally I would just download the professional version and reinstall, but the Surface 3 has no available drivers (that I know of) right now, making that option an impossibility.

Is there another way to achieve this?

I've tried googling, and all I can seem to find is ways people find to get free copies of whatever, or how to purchase keys through the store for release versions. Nothing comes up for changing versions of an insider release.

All you need is a product key for Pro. In control panel you select "programs and features", then "turn windows features on or off". You can then enter the key and it will automatically upgrade the version to Pro. I have done this on many machines including my Dell Venue Pro 8. You could also do a clean install and use the drivers that are available. They will work fine.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
All you need is a product key for Pro. In control panel you select "programs and features", then "turn windows features on or off". You can then enter the key and it will automatically upgrade the version to Pro. I have done this on many machines including my Dell Venue Pro 8. You could also do a clean install and use the drivers that are available. They will work fine.

And where would I get the product key for windows 10 Pro preview? I havent seen a product key for insider releases for a year now.

Edit: Nothing on Microsofts site, but a 10 second search turned up a key. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
Just to bump this... The code I found deactivated windows, and thus, is not a viable way to switch from home preview to professional preview.

my other options?

midnightfrolic

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
Only way I've done it was to back up all data. Full Pro install. Copy data from the backup. Recently did this for retail Keys. Went from Home version to Pro version on both desktop and ultrabook. Same steps. Then started Insider builds. Runs fine.

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
I'm not interested in buying a pro key just yet. Is the insider version you have access to limited to what version you had the key for? That makes no sense.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm not interested in buying a pro key just yet. Is the insider version you have access to limited to what version you had the key for? That makes no sense.

This is Earth, you get what you paid for here, sadly not much more than that... So a Home Edition gets upgraded to a Home Edition, and Pro gets Pro, which makes sense to me.

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
No, it makes perfect sense. You're in essence wanting a free upgrade to your OS. In all honesty though, why? Pro doesn't really add that much more (Microsoft learned that back during the Windows 7 days).

Chris Phelps

May 25, 2015
Visit site
How is it considered wanting a free upgrade if you want to test out a feature from one version not available in another when both are available on the insider program? Keep in mind, the insider program is meant for users to test all aspects of pre-release features and provide feedback. Id say, if anything, I am the one doing the job I agreed to when I joined the insider program, and perhaps you were the one just looking for the free upgrade. Think about it.

When the insider program first started, they offered keys for both, and you simply changed the key depending on which version you used. It's possible, even now, to change versions simply by using the windows updater tool and a USB drive, and everything works perfectly. (just as a side note... also indicating that even Microsoft disagrees with your "free upgrade" statement.) My issue is that I couldn't get the updater tool to work at the time of the post.

But alas, I have solved my issue - even without the wonderful help of those who think I just want a free upgrade. I factory reset the S3, took the updates, then used the USB tool to load W10 Professional on my tablet for testing. Or was that not supposed to work because I just wanted the free upgrade and you get what you pay for?

Err wait... do you get what you pay for with the insider program? I cant remember the terms of service. No, wait... I think they wanted people to test features and provide feedback. That's right.

Hey.. maybe try honoring your deal and actually testing and providing feedback rather than slinging accusations. That'd be better for the forum, the Insider community, AND Microsoft.

Peter McNeill1

Feb 2, 2014
Visit site
Yes of course they want you to test but... even Gabe said at one time way way back, insiders test the platform it was installed on, ie. if your retail key is for home, you test home, if pro then you test pro. Upping home to pro will work as long as you stay an insider but if you quit and go back to retail, your key will most likely be deactivated since it was a home licence and can't be used on the pro builds.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs