How to prevent driver installation during Windows 10 update process?

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Hi. Yesterday build 14291 was released. It was downloaded on my laptop and was waiting for a restart. I restarted my laptop, the update process began and it reached half way through driver installations when it crashed giving me BSOD and rebooted. After rebooting, the setup was being recovered and it rebooted again. Now during the installation, the setup crashed again, at the same point and rebooted. This time the installation didn't recover instead my previous build was restored! 😒

Then I realized that my display driver was behind the crashes. The update setup was trying to install the latest available display driver during installation. Then I rolled back the display driver to Microsoft Basic Display Driver and retried updating to build 14291. But alas! It crashed again. The installation has crashed four times till now and won't budge.

Please could somebody help out with this?! How do I stop the setup from installing that driver? I have already disabled automatic driver updates from Advanced system settings > hardware > device installation settings > No. But still the driver tends to get installed during the update process. Please help me. 😢 Thanks in advance.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
No answers! Anyways, if anyone else has the same issue then just search on Google (Bing won't give the best result, so) for ESD to ISO creator. You'll get a good article explaining how to create a bootable ISO using the hidden Install.esd file on the C:\ drive (or whatever drive your Windows is installed on). Then you can run the Windows 10 setup from the ISO file by opening it and upgrade as usual keeping your files, apps and settings intact!

gamo62

Feb 23, 2016
Visit site
I had the same issue, hit ot was Symantec Endpoint 12.1. Disabling it was not good enough. I had to uninstall the program. It then updated. However I cannot reinstall SEP.

You may want to go into msconfig, hide all MS services, and disable. Reboot, and try the update.

Sent from Windows 386

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I had the same issue, hit ot was Symantec Endpoint 12.1. Disabling it was not good enough. I had to uninstall the program. It then updated. However I cannot reinstall SEP.

You may want to go into msconfig, hide all MS services, and disable. Reboot, and try the update.

Sent from Windows 386

No matter how many settings I change or disable, the W10 update process does install all the updates it had downloaded along with the main installation files from Windows Update. So, the easiest and best way to update W10 is to create an ISO image from the downloaded hidden Install.esd file, mount it and run the W10 setup from it. I have successfully updated to build 14291 w/o any hiccups using this method. Thanks for your response though :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos