Blue screen of death installing 14316 from 14295 on SP3....

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
PCdcgHX.jpg

Happened twice already, might try again when I get home.... But yeah this screen showed up at the last step of the update at about 85-88%. Then the machine restarts and restore to previous build perfectly (phew) but still pretty disappointed about this.

Anyone else having the issue?

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Happened with me while updating to build 14291. The process was interrupted 4 times and restored the previous build. It never went past Installing features and drivers. The issue is that Windows Update downloads all the driver updates available for your device along with the build and installs them during the update process. If a driver is not compatible with your device, it crashes and gives you the BSOD. In my case, the Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver, which is not much compatible with Windows 10, used to crash while being updated during the build update process. So finally I decided to update manually. By updating manually, you bypass all the unapproved and unnecessary driver installations and simply install the build and nothing else. You'll waste too much time troubleshooting the BSOD error, as it happened with me, and won't find any satisfactory answer. So the best thing to do right now is convert the downloaded windows installation file into an ISO image and update manually.

You can easily convert the Install.esd file from the hidden $WINDOWS.~BT folder on your windows installation drive where your build has been downloaded through Windows Update. That is if your Windows is installed on C drive then the folder is at C:\$WINDOWS.~BT and the required Install.esd file is at C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources. Make it visible by checking the Hidden items option in the View tab of File Explorer ribbon (You probably might be knowing about it, but still).

It's super simple. Get the step by step guide here:- https://www.techjourney.net/decrypt-convert-upgrade-esd-to-create-bootable-windows-iso-or-wim

After creating the ISO, you can double click to mount it and run the setup.exe from the mounted disk drive\setup.exe and manually update to the latest build.

Last edited:

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Happened with me while updating to build 14291. The process was interrupted 4 times and restored the previous build. It never went past Installing features and drivers. The issue is that Windows Update downloads all the driver updates available for your device along with the build and installs them during the update process. If a driver is not compatible with your device, it crashes and gives you the BSOD. In my case, the Intel HD Graphics 3000 driver, which is not much compatible with Windows 10, used to crash while being updated during the build update process. So finally I decided to update manually. By updating manually, you bypass all the unapproved and unnecessary driver installations and simply install the build and nothing else. You'll waste too much time troubleshooting the BSOD error, as it happened with me, and won't find any satisfactory answer. So the best thing to do right now is convert the downloaded windows installation file into an ISO image and update manually.

You can easily convert the Install.esd file from the hidden $WINDOWS.~BT folder on your windows installation drive where your build has been downloaded through Windows Update. That is if your Windows is installed on C drive then the folder is at C:\$WINDOWS.~BT and the required Install.esd file is at C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources. Make it visible by checking the Hidden items option in the View tab of File Explorer ribbon (You probably might be knowing about it, but still).

It's super simple. Get the step by step guide here:- https://www.techjourney.net/decrypt-convert-upgrade-esd-to-create-bootable-windows-iso-or-wim

After creating the ISO, you can double click to mount it and run the setup.exe from the mounted disk drive\setup.exe and manually update to the latest build.

Hey thanks for this, will be trying it in a bit!

JamesAllen1975

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Did you get a chance to try this.

I have tried updating from the ISO - moving from the last insider build - but it blue screens with IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL and rolls back everytime right near the end of the install.

I tried letting it download updates and not downloading them but both result in the crash.

Very annoying and can't see how to debug this so think I'm going to have to wait for the next build :(

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Would this installation method wipe data though? Or does it work like an insider preview build update?

Yes, it will update just as any other preview build keeping your apps, files and settings intact. The only difference, it will not update your drivers which is anyways not important. You can update the drivers yourself after updating to the new build.

Last edited:

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Yes, it will update just as any other preview build keeping your apps, files and settings intact. The only difference, it will not update your drivers which is anyways not important. You can update the drivers yourself after updating to the new build.
I tried all day yesterday and got to converting Install.esd into ISO file. But after choosing option 1 it converted the file in to and olg instead of ISO. I found out that 7zip is used to extract olg files so I used that to extract all files onto a USB stick. And then I'm not sure what to do from there... I tried opening the setup.exe but it doesn't start the installation properly.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
I tried all day yesterday and got to converting Install.esd into ISO file. But after choosing option 1 it converted the file in to and olg instead of ISO. I found out that 7zip is used to extract olg files so I used that to extract all files onto a USB stick. And then I'm not sure what to do from there... I tried opening the setup.exe but it doesn't start the installation properly.

That shouldn't have happened. What program did you use? Download this one from my OneDrive and try again with it (which I had used):- https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...59262&authkey=!ABMT5PnafG8_uQk&ithint=file,7z

These are the scenarios you should come across during the process:-

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
That shouldn't have happened. What program did you use? Download this one from my OneDrive and try again with it (which I had used):- https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...59262&authkey=!ABMT5PnafG8_uQk&ithint=file,7z

These are the scenarios you should come across during the process:-

View attachment 124881

View attachment 124882

View attachment 124883

View attachment 124884

View attachment 124885

View attachment 124886
Ok thanks so much. And from there you can just install from the ISO directly?

JamesAllen1975

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Well I just tied installing this awful update again - this time via Windows Update (wasn't showing before so used an ISO) - but yet again it blue screens during step 3/3 right near the end. IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

So annoying. Think I'm going to have to wait for the next update and hope it installs.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
.....IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.
^That doesn't seem to be a driver related BSOD error. Visit the site given by poopyfinger above for more information on that error else ignore it and wait for the next build.

....Think I'm going to have to wait for the next update and hope it installs.
Yup. I had to use the ISO method only for updating to build 14291 while I encountered no BSOD when updating to 14316. Not trying to be boring but still, sweet are the fruits of adversity. :wink:

JamesAllen1975

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Deepak. I had a quick look at the page on the error and it does look related to drivers:

"The error that generates this bug check usually occurs after the installation of a faulty device driver, system service, or BIOS.
If you encounter bug check 0xA while upgrading to a later version of Windows, this error might be caused by a device driver, a system service, a virus scanner, or a backup tool that is incompatible with the new version."

Bit concerning as I wonder what on my system is causing it.

I'm sure it'll be fixed by a later build though. Just dying to try out the Ubuntu sub-system and bash shell :)

Patience is a virtue I suppose :)

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My S3 was pretty nuts going from 14295 to 14316... I ended going the factory reset back to windows 8.1 route and then slowly getting it back to w10 production, and then 14316 installed. At least it seems more stable now :D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs