I've been in the Windows Insider program for quite some time.

I just replaced my old motherboard and RAM and put in a new CPU.

I reused everything else.

I keep getting messages to Activate Windows.

Why?

Should I?
    04-15-2016 04:37 PM
    I've been in the Windows Insider program for quite some time.

I just replaced my old motherboard and RAM and put in a new CPU.

I reused everything else.

I keep getting messages to Activate Windows.

Why?

Should I?
    Microsoft thinks you have changed your pc so you are not licensed to use your current product key anymore..
    04-15-2016 11:44 PM
    Yep. I got the best service ever from Microsoft. I clicked on activate and went through a couple of hoops and it offered to have Microsoft call me back.

I input my phone number and almost instantly the phone rang and I got someone in India but they spoke very good English and the guy did a great job of activating my Windows for me. He took remote control and entered a number and VOILA!! it was activated.

I couldn't believe how fast they called me back and how well the Indian fellow spoke English ( they've come a long long way ).
    04-18-2016 12:44 PM
    Yep. I got the best service ever from Microsoft. I clicked on activate and went through a couple of hoops and it offered to have Microsoft call me back.

I input my phone number and almost instantly the phone rang and I got someone in India but they spoke very good English and the guy did a great job of activating my Windows for me. He took remote control and entered a number and VOILA!! it was activated.

I couldn't believe how fast they called me back and how well the Indian fellow spoke English ( they've come a long long way ).
    i had a similar experience before. i had a box set win 8.1. i installed it on pc1 and pc1 died one year later and i installed it on pc2. it needed activation and i sought help from microsoft. then came similar experience as you described.
    04-18-2016 10:00 PM