Windows insider builds ignoring metered wireless connection when new build is available!?

borge_kristoffersen

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Triple checked and yes my 4g wireless access point is set as metered ... yet darn thing just went and downloaded ~ 3gb of newest build :/

Have I somehow managed to overlook a setting ? Or is this intended if we are on fast ring?

If so I'll have to opt out of entire program even if I really like to test out new builds ...

I was on 14295 build and am now about to be updated ... today ... instead of tomorrow when I'll have this laptop online through a fiber connection .. can't even begin to describe how annoyed I am right now ...

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Triple checked and yes my 4g wireless access point is set as metered ... yet darn thing just went and downloaded ~ 3gb of newest build :/

Have I somehow managed to overlook a setting ? Or is this intended if we are on fast ring?

If so I'll have to opt out of entire program even if I really like to test out new builds ...

I was on 14295 build and am now about to be updated ... today ... instead of tomorrow when I'll have this laptop online through a fiber connection .. can't even begin to describe how annoyed I am right now ...

isn't there a way to disable automatic updates? I found this article http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-windows-update-in-windows-10

borge_kristoffersen

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site
Im seriously considering opting out of insider program now, had to go back to the 295 build ... this latest also "lost" my windows live local account and trying to get it back only gave "ops someting went wrong, must've been our fault" ...

That combined with ignoring that the wireless was metered is just about enough ... and setting it as metered have so far stopped it from downloading updates ... but somehow a 3gb + new build weren't considered an update!?! *sigh* ..

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
Im seriously considering opting out of insider program now, had to go back to the 295 build ... this latest also "lost" my windows live local account and trying to get it back only gave "ops someting went wrong, must've been our fault" ...

That combined with ignoring that the wireless was metered is just about enough ... and setting it as metered have so far stopped it from downloading updates ... but somehow a 3gb + new build weren't considered an update!?! *sigh* ..

What I do:
1. Monitor Windows Central or Gabe Aul's twitter for the next update.
2. Check "known issues" and "fixed stuff" lists, make a decision on whether or not I want a build.
3. When I'm ready for an update, change to fast ring.
4. Once update is located, disconnect internet before it can download.
5. Take my laptop to public Free Wi-Fi and download.
6. Once installed, I change back to release ring.
7. Rinse and Repeat. (Okay, seriously, don't rinse your laptop. It could kill it.)

At home, my metered data connection from my phone is my only internet, so I understand the frustration. It's a hassle, and if I had a desktop instead of a laptop or 2-in-1, I would not do the Insider program. Windows update only respects the metered connections when you are not part of the Insider program. When you join the Insider program, there is a provision that you MUST accept all updates when made available for the ring you are enrolled in. That's why I'm a ring hopper.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon