Surface Pro 4 won't boot on New INsider BUild 14342

Robert Digilio

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
So I installed the new Insider build on my Surface Pro 4 last night and all seemed to be well. I shut it down before going to sleep and that seems to have been a bad idea. I tried to turn it on today and now it just sits on a blank red screen (red is my system color) with the spinning loading beads. I shut it back down and cold booted it but it seems stuck. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, were you able to resolve it?

Eagle0110

May 11, 2016
Visit site
Had same problem, I just hold down power button to force it to completely shot down (rather than power down using quick boot mechanism, which is basically the same as hibernation which does not allow lower level drivers to be closed), and then press the power button to boot again and usually the second time it boots up just fine, if not just repeat it.

I had to do this for twice so far.

And by they way if you think your Surface has got stuck at booting for any reason, be sure to do that to make sure your Surface is completely shot down before you put it into your bag, or you will get a "hot bag" like me today xD

Robert Digilio

Nov 20, 2015
Visit site
I have tried holding down the power button until it shuts down entirely but that doesn't seem to work. Are you saying the slide to power off prompt is more of a hibernation than an actual shut down? Because I have tried that as well, to no resolve. I also hooked it up to a charger and tried but the issue persists.

Eagle0110

May 11, 2016
Visit site
By the way, a temporary work around to prevent this from happening at all would be to disable "fast boot" in power button option in the setting.

Yes that does of course make your booting slightly slower, but with our SSD the Surface doesn't get that much slower with fast boot turned off, apparentkly :)

Eagle0110

May 11, 2016
Visit site
Nope, the slide to turn off initialize the normal shut-down mechanism, which is different than what you would used to think of shutting down your computer since the fast boot was introduced in Windows 8. Through fast boot windows only close your user apps in the front and leave all the system level stuff still on (like drivers and some system components and so on) and then put this "remaining" part of running system into hibernation, instead of actually shut it down completely. In this way through fast boot your computer don't need to reinitialize all those lower level system components and thus let your computer starting up much much much faster. And this is also why when you restart your computer it won't go through fast boot process but through the normal shutting down process so that all the lower level stuff like drivers can still get update when that becomes the purpose you restart your computer.

But clearly MS messed up something in the fast boot mechanism in this version. What I was talking about is to keep holding down your power button even when you see the slid down to power off message, all the way till the screen suddenly goes blank. This way you can force your Surface to actually shut down, and thus force it to actually reinitialize the drives and other lower level components to successfully boot the next time you press the power button.

Try it :)

Blake Strack

May 14, 2016
Visit site
So I installed the new Insider build on my Surface Pro 4 last night... now it just sits with the spinning loading beads. shut it back down and cold booted it. it seems stuck. Has anyone else had this issue?

Did u find a solution? I have the SAME exact problems. Won't boot.
Just churns forever w/ the circling beads. Help!

Blake Strack

May 14, 2016
Visit site
So your "fast boot" work-around worked once for me, but again now my SP4 won't start and your method simply won't change that. Other ideas!? I want to through it against a wall to get rid of those spinning beads.

YKinase

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
I've had this problem on my SP3. It's intermittent but if holding the power button for 10 sec doesn't resolve, try holding the power button and the Volume-UP until you see the Surface logo; release and you will see the BIOS settings screen. Just exit the BIOS screen and the system will restart, hopefully successfully.

ccpopham

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
Does this on the Surface book as well. It is random and sometimes I have to use the power button plus volume up and go into the bios and exit before it will boot past the screen of death. It took me 3 tries yesterday on one instance to get it to boot again. This build is much worse than the previous one.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

snakebitten

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Eagle-bro, You da man!

Thanks. I love the feature set of Redstone, but the shutdown issues and hot-in-the-travel-bag situation had me baffled.
I do think it is funny that I get a faster boot up by defeating "Fast-Boot" feature. :)

Devhux

Feb 4, 2008
Visit site
I've experienced both this and the "hot bag" issue on the latest insider build. Also, my Windows Hello camera sometimes doesn't want to turn on.

Good to know that disabling fast boot may help - I've been booting off my recovery USB drive when this would happen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss