How can I know the size of a build?

malbendsouza

May 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys! I have to install the latest build on my PC but I was wondering if there's a way to know what the size of the update is since I'm on a limited data plan. I've tried searching online but haven't found an answer. Can someone help me? Thanks in advance. Have a great day!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys! I have to install the latest build on my PC but I was wondering if there's a way to know what the size of the update is since I'm on a limited data plan. I've tried searching online but haven't found an answer. Can someone help me? Thanks in advance. Have a great day!

if it's a build then it wouldn't be so big, especially cumulative updates. If you have a limited data plan, I suggest you don't try updating since you never know what else could update itself in the background hence depleting your data.

If your pc does not have any major issues, hold of updating until you get a cheaper plan or wifi

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
On the latest builds for Redstone, I have seen no way to obtain it. I'm still on a limited data plan for the next 30 days, and it is something I have to watch very closely. For now, I keep it on metered connection and just travel to town a couple of times per week to put it on free Wi-Fi to update builds. Last time I tried to do one at home, it used up 2.7GB of data, and it ate up all my rollover data. I ended up with 500MB to get me through the last 7 days of the month. I pretty much had to turn it off after that.

This is something we definitely need to open up feedback about and let Microsoft know that we need to have the download size for updates, builds, or whatever else is coming down the pike. I also would like to see update size in the Store when there are updates to download before I click the download link. It used to be there and has been removed.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
On the latest builds for Redstone, I have seen no way to obtain it. I'm still on a limited data plan for the next 30 days, and it is something I have to watch very closely. For now, I keep it on metered connection and just travel to town a couple of times per week to put it on free Wi-Fi to update builds. Last time I tried to do one at home, it used up 2.7GB of data, and it ate up all my rollover data. I ended up with 500MB to get me through the last 7 days of the month. I pretty much had to turn it off after that.

This is something we definitely need to open up feedback about and let Microsoft know that we need to have the download size for updates, builds, or whatever else is coming down the pike. I also would like to see update size in the Store when there are updates to download before I click the download link. It used to be there and has been removed.

this has to be for both pc and mobile - sometimes we're using mobile hotspot and I definitely wouldn't like to see 3Gb used up in updating the pc

rhapdog

Retired Senior Ambassador
Aug 26, 2014
Visit site
In mobile, if it's trying to download on Data, it will stop and tell you that it is waiting on WiFi, or you can download X MB of data now, and give you the option to download. On Desktop, it won't let you know how much you're downloading. Seriously messed up there. Many, many people have data usage limits even on wired LAN, especially if they are on Satellite Internet service. However, Microsoft seems to think the only metered plans available in the world are if you are using a Mobile Hotspot. They have their heads in the sand on that one for some reason.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos