Project to PC feature is pretty awesome - use any computer as external monitor

Patric.Z

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just tried out the project to PC feature and turns out it's pretty awesome. Connecting between PC is pretty easy and seamless. The delay is surprisingly low. Much lower than any Miracast adapters I have tried. I would say it's effectively instant. I can change the projection mode just like any Miracast adaptors. The picture below I used extended mode and my old SP3 became my fourth monitor, which I think I think it's pretty. A bonus is, the receiver PC doesn't have to support Miracast to be able to be the receiver (I tried it on a Atom PC does not support Miracast). Basically, any Windows 10 laptops and tablets can be easily turned into an external monitor now.

The downside is it doesn't work as well with my Lumia 1520. It worked with my Atom PC (even though the delay is much higher) but neither my SP. I hope they can fix the bugs and optimize it before the official release.

WeChatImage636029840752788975.jpg

panos_mir

Apr 25, 2016
Visit site
It doesn't work on my Laptop. It's an old laptop that I have in Fast ring builds for testing. It doesn't have Bluetooth either. Using wifi it didn't work for me. Maybe in the next builds.

Sent from mTalk

Patric.Z

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
With any windows deives supporting Miracast, which is most of the newer deives (phones and PCs) in Action Center, select connect, you will see all Miracast recievers, including Windows 10 PC with RS update.

So how does this work? Can someone explain in simple terms?

Thank you

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
This seems interesting - but both devices have to have miracast capabilities, right?
How does this differ from using project my screen app?

Grodelj

Apr 2, 2013
Visit site
Does this still work after anniversary update? Because I can't project from 950XL to surface pro 4. Lumia just doesn't find it and I have correct settings on the surface.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I couldn't get it to work, though it really seems like something I'd like to do. So with any computer with wifi and a 950 xl this should be doable, right?

wgs84

Jan 2, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't get it to work, though it really seems like something I'd like to do. So with any computer with wifi and a 950 xl this should be doable, right?

You might have to adjust the "Projecting to this PC" settings. I had to set "Windows PCs and phones can project to this PC when you say it's OK" to "Available everywhere" the first time I tried to use it.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
You might have to adjust the "Projecting to this PC" settings. I had to set "Windows PCs and phones can project to this PC when you say it's OK" to "Available everywhere" the first time I tried to use it.

Oh, that's why it didn't work. I hadn't read that you need to configure it to work. I'll try it and see how it performs. Thanks!

web1b

Mar 23, 2014
Visit site

Does anyone know how to get it to work with the "secure network" option?
I can only get it to work with the "available everywhere" setting and there is no definition or list of requirements listed as to what qualifies as a secure network for this feature.
The wireless networks I have tried have all been WPA2 password protected networks and it still didn't work unless I set it to "all networks"
Also, isn't Project to PC a direct peer to peer connection between the two laptops that doesn't rely on your local network anyways?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786