Back to production ring with no reset - possible?

PHuba

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
I would be pleased to go back to production releases (leaving insider program) on one my device. I was wondering if stopping now to receive insider updates would automatically bring me the production anniversary update (which undoubtfully will be a higher version) without the need for a complete reset. The information I could read are rather confusing on the subject and also differ sometimes between W10 and W10 Mobile.
Can someone help?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I would be pleased to go back to production releases (leaving insider program) on one my device. I was wondering if stopping now to receive insider updates would automatically bring me the production anniversary update (which undoubtfully will be a higher version) without the need for a complete reset. The information I could read are rather confusing on the subject and also differ sometimes between W10 and W10 Mobile.
Can someone help?

first of all, what OS version are on and what insider ring?

If you switch to production release, your updates will stop until that time the official build has reached or exceeded your build number. After that your device will start to receive updates again

PHuba

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
first of all, what OS version are on and what insider ring?
If you switch to production release, your updates will stop until that time the official build has reached or exceeded your build number. After that your device will start to receive updates again
I am fast ring on my Lumia 950, W10M 10.0.14379.0 and
I am slow ring on my Surface Pro 3, W10 10.0.14372.0
My intention is to revert to non insider distribution on the SP3.
So from your comment, I guess it is ok to stop now receiving insider updates on the SP3 and I'll probably get the next update when the Anniversary Update is rolled out officially early August (obviously a higher version than mine today).
Thanks, Pierre

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I am fast ring on my Lumia 950, W10M 10.0.14379.0 and
I am slow ring on my Surface Pro 3, W10 10.0.14372.0
My intention is to revert to non insider distribution on the SP3.
So from your comment, I guess it is ok to stop now receiving insider updates on the SP3 and I'll probably get the next update when the Anniversary Update is rolled out officially early August (obviously a higher version than mine today).
Thanks, Pierre

could you check in the insider app on your phone if there is a production ring?

PHuba

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
could you check in the insider app on your phone if there is a production ring?
There isn't any "Production Ring" on neither on the Windows Phone nor on my Surface Pro 3 (I though I saw one some time ago, maybe earlier version - your question push me to have a look on both devices). Also, in "Settings"=>"Update and security"=>Windows Insider Program" I have only Slow and Fast (as indicated I am on Slow on the SP3, Fast on the Windows Phone). I can stop to receiving Insider Preview builds but the options are only to stop for 1, 3, 5 or 7 days, not permanently - same behavior on both device.

Maurizio Troso

Aug 22, 2014
Visit site
There isn't any "Production Ring" on neither on the Windows Phone nor on my Surface Pro 3 (I though I saw one some time ago, maybe earlier version - your question push me to have a look on both devices). Also, in "Settings"=>"Update and security"=>Windows Insider Program" I have only Slow and Fast (as indicated I am on Slow on the SP3, Fast on the Windows Phone). I can stop to receiving Insider Preview builds but the options are only to stop for 1, 3, 5 or 7 days, not permanently - same behavior on both device.

As wrote in Anniversary article, you can stop recevi9ng insider builds and turning in production when current official build is UPPER than current insider build.
So, before August 2nd, everyone could have the chance to exit Insiders, and left Redstone becoming official, then overpassing installed build. That's all.
The rule is: a system can only be upgraded, NOT downgraded.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site

I suspected that would be the case.

So you have the options to postpone updates as you've seen or switch to slow build to receive less frequent builds. To really stop receiving insider builds, you'll have to wait until the official redstone is released as anniversary update next month. When that happens, the production release ring should appear on your insider app and you can select that and from then on just receive official updates as they come out

PHuba

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Ok Maurizio but that's not really the point, I understood this already from Chintan Gohel indeed.
However, how do I exit insider on a single device (the Surface Pro 3, not the Windows Phone Lumia 950), Now, as the application only allows me to stop for 1, 3, 5 or 7 days... Should I wait till between July 27 and then ask to stop for 7 days?
Or is there an online way to manage the insider devices somewhere?

PHuba

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
I suspected that would be the case.
So you have the options to postpone updates as you've seen or switch to slow build to receive less frequent builds. To really stop receiving insider builds, you'll have to wait until the official redstone is released as anniversary update next month. When that happens, the production release ring should appear on your insider app and you can select that and from then on just receive official updates as they come out
Ok thanks, so I recap -
on the Surface Pro 3 as I am already on slow ring, there isn't much I can do but accept a few additional updates till Anniversary Update rolls out or postpone by 7 days each week till the Anniversary Update and, when Anniversary Update is installed, hopefully, I will be able to stop permanently or select some "Production Ring" that would magically appear at that time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett