The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-21-2016 11:28 AM
32 12
tools
    Just installed 14901 Preview Build - Setting opens for one second then crashes

Just wondering if others have the same trouble? have rebooted, etc. No change.
    08-13-2016 08:16 AM
    I too am facing the same problem. Please help.
    email:[email removed]
    Last edited by pankaj981; 08-13-2016 at 11:56 AM. Reason: removed email
    08-13-2016 09:32 AM
    I've got the exact same problem, just updated yesterday. Happens in most settings options. Just closes itself.
    08-13-2016 11:11 AM
    I too am facing the same problem. Please help.
    email:[email removed]
    [NOTE]Avoid posting personal email IDs on the forums.[/NOTE]
    08-13-2016 11:56 AM
    yes seems this problem is wide spread with the settings app. I have tried with upgrade and clean install of 14901 and end up with unusable settings app in both situations.
    Tom Picone likes this.
    08-13-2016 03:11 PM
    I'm not a big fan of 14901 build.
    My Asus VivoTab is stuck in tablet mode. The Settings app shuts down upon clicking each command with the exception of Update & Security which opens successfully.
    The Recovery option buttons are greyed out with a square box inside of the buttons which only blink when you click on them.
    All the left hand tabs in Update & Security such as Activation, Find my Device etc. causes the settings app to crash upon clicking on them.

Seeing that check for updates is functional and the rest of Windows 10 is running absolutely perfect I'll wait for the next preview which may fix it.
    08-13-2016 10:51 PM
    People want to be on the "bleeding edge" but can't stand the sight of blood.
    Demian Mioc, MDK22 and Ariel Takom like this.
    08-14-2016 07:35 AM
    Cutting edge, bleeding edge refers to aging tech. But I agree, people that don't read the Insider TAC get zero sympathy. Posting issues here doesn't help improve the platform, it needs to be through MS.
    08-14-2016 08:00 AM
    I have no such experiences right now and I'm running on 14901
    Demian Mioc and MDK22 like this.
    08-14-2016 09:15 AM
    Cutting edge, bleeding edge refers to aging tech. But I agree, people that don't read the Insider TAC get zero sympathy. Posting issues here doesn't help improve the platform, it needs to be through MS.
    What he ^^^ (so eloquently) said, second, third & fourth, etc, ...

IF you are not prepared to deal with the issues, you should NOT be on Insider FAST ...
    Use your backup to rollback to a stable build (I know, easier said then done)
    08-14-2016 10:23 AM
    No sympathy needed for me.
    I post some troubles I have on occasion.
    What do you do here?
    08-14-2016 12:34 PM
    I don't get people commenting so rudely to issues of other posters. If you don't have anything constructive or intelligent to say, go and waste your time elsewhere.
    I'm not experiencing Settings app crash, but you can try this: boot your PC in Safe mode and see if it helps, or you could run Windows troubleshooter and try to fix Settings app.
    Other than that, I'd try to see error log, that usually helps to find an issue, and fix it effectively. Be sure to give feedback to Microsoft via Feedback hub while trying to repeat the issue.

Hope it helps!
    gbm97 and Ariel Takom like this.
    08-14-2016 04:18 PM
    I don't get people commenting so rudely to issues of other posters. If you don't have anything constructive or intelligent (installing a preview build on your main device??) to say, go and waste your time elsewhere.
    I'm not experiencing Settings app crash, but you can try this: boot your PC in Safe mode and see if it helps, or you could run Windows troubleshooter and try to fix Settings app.
    Other than that, I'd try to see error log, that usually helps to find an issue, and fix it effectively. Be sure to give feedback to Microsoft via Feedback hub (most are posting here w/o FEEDBACK) while trying to repeat the issue.

Hope it helps!
    Because this release is (at best) an alpha ...
    - you should know this may present issues going in
    - you should have a good backup to fallback to, in the event of issues
    - you (probably) should NOT install it on your main (daily driver) PC / Tablet / Phone

Yet, there are entreaties to '... help, now ...' because (fill in device) is ' ... broken from Insider build & I need it for work / school / etc. ...'

A bit of tough love, but, the original premise stands - RTFM!
    Ariel Takom likes this.
    08-14-2016 06:15 PM
    Not working for me either. The settings app is experiencing frequent crashes. The problem is the recovery options aren't even working so it's impossible to roll back. In addition, the Windows Central app doesn't open. I have this update on an extra tablet so I can live with it for now.
    08-14-2016 10:18 PM
    to all the idiots here saying you are on alpha software and you should know better or you shouldn't be on the insider program and you get no sympathy here should shut up. The settings bug is actually a pretty big bug and should of never passed microsofts own internal rings to reach the fast ring. That is the point here.
    Demian Mioc and gbm97 like this.
    08-14-2016 10:30 PM
    I don't get people commenting so rudely to issues of other posters. If you don't have anything constructive or intelligent to say, go and waste your time elsewhere.
    Other than that, I'd try to see error log, that usually helps to find an issue, and fix it effectively. Be sure to give feedback to Microsoft via Feedback hub while trying to repeat the issue.

Hope it helps!
    Thanks but the only way out for me was to reinstall Windows 10 Home with the tool.
    When the Settings problem gets addressed I will switch back to becoming an Insider again.
    08-15-2016 12:06 AM
    to all the idiots here saying you are on alpha software and you should know better or you shouldn't be on the insider program and you get no sympathy here should shut up. The settings bug is actually a pretty big bug and should of never passed microsofts own internal rings to reach the fast ring. That is the point here.
    Perhaps an understanding of HOW this works:
    - a BUILD is released which caused NO problems on MS internal testers (optimally set up) devices. The understanding is - all devices are a product of apps installed, INSTALL methodology of the OS (clean install vs. overlay on top of existing).
    ---- What chaff is leftover form the previous install(s), that could cause a problem?
    ---- What other software do you have installed, that could cause a problem?
    - the Insiders install this risky OS / Build & provide feedback to MS regarding problems encountered. Problems are expected, as there's no way to determine WHAT or HOW your (or the millions of other) OS is installed.
    - Once FEEDBACK is gathered, analyzed & tested >> a new BUILD is provided, remediating issues (hopefully).
    - the SETTINGS bug does NOT occur for everyone, there are reports in this thread of users not affected. Indeed, users w problems are MORE likely to post here ...
    - personally, the early releases are OFF LIMITS to me ... even though I can restore a backup.
    - BEFORE venturing into this, you should have a good backup & know how to use it (it's in the TERMS you agree to)

- as far as idiots, the advice you're receiving is generally good advice ...
    I'm not having an issue w this BUILD, because I choose NOT to install it.
    The angst does NO good, have YOU provided feedback to MS?

Perhaps some reflection, deep breaths, consider the consequences ...
    Last edited by MDK22; 08-15-2016 at 12:36 PM. Reason: to clarify for TLDR
    08-15-2016 08:19 AM
    I too have the same issue as the OP who was asking advice not asking to be told read the TLC of insider.
    please try to be a bit more helpful & stop trolling the threads .
    so yes the setting menu crashed and this PC and roll back buttons are missing, i have a bck up to use but it would be easier if there was a quicker solution.
    08-15-2016 01:09 PM
    I too have the same issue as the OP who was asking advice not asking to be told read the TLC of insider.
    so yes the setting menu crashed and this PC and roll back buttons are missing, i have a bck up to use but it would be easier if there was a quicker solution.
    Easier = Hard Reset using side Key combination, search the forum ... this process may differ by device.

Sorry, got nothing easier.
    08-15-2016 02:14 PM
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...ca9a7a0?page=1

Work solution. And here is file from Pro 14901 build https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...n=defaultclick

Edit: And tablet mode works great now.
    Last edited by Piwcio; 08-15-2016 at 06:24 PM.
    cadoresg and gbm97 like this.
    08-15-2016 06:05 PM
    Outstanding! Thanks for the solution.
    08-15-2016 07:50 PM
    this error is produced on both upgrade from AU and clean install from ISO, no programs installed. Tested on 5 different PC setups all produce the same issue. They are not old systems, they are all systems that are less than a year old and all are top end spec'd machines. As I said before and I will say it again this build should of not passed MS's own internal rings. Yes I have provided feedback to MS on this matter. Yes problems and bugs are to be expected for sure. But having the problem be the whole settings app is not a small issue, not being able to use the app to roll back, not being able to use the settings app to verify your account, not being able to set dpi or actually use anything in the settings app other than windows update is a major bug that should have been picked up in the internal rings before being releases to the fast ring. Now I'm a very experienced beta tester all the way back to windows 95 and can deal with this and and roll back via other methods, there are many on the insider program that can not figure this out and really shouldn't have to deal with a bug like this to say the truth.
    bozza72 likes this.
    08-15-2016 07:51 PM
    just put the AU ISO file on your hard drive, mount and run setup. It will install back to the AU.
    08-15-2016 07:52 PM
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/i...ca9a7a0?page=1

Work solution. And here is file from Pro 14901 build https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...n=defaultclick

Edit: And tablet mode works great now.
    Does adding that file fix the settings app?
    08-15-2016 07:53 PM
    Solution works - everything is operational. I knew someone would find out and reply.
    08-15-2016 07:57 PM
32 12