Version 1709 Build 16299.15...Apps missing

jacquesvan

May 27, 2015
Visit site
I had probably about 200 apps and internet shortcuts pinned to the start screen. After installation of Version 1709 Build 16299.15 all of my purchased apps disappeared from my system. Every single one of the pinned internet shortcuts disappeared. There are 12 tiles left on the screen. People, messaging and a couple of others. I can't even find the Windows Store App anywhere on the system. I managed to open the store through Cortana, It shows all my purchased apps but no option to re-download them. "Pin to desktop" in the store is greyed out. Only "Launch" is available. When I click "Get updates" it does not show any. The few remaining tiles are spread out all over the start screen in the location where I originally had them with a lot of room in between for the missing tiles. It's as everything is still on my PC but just not visible.
When I go to Settings-Apps and Features all my apps are listed there but they did not populate the start menu screen or the program menu. As I said, room was left for them on the start screen in the locations where they previously were.
As mentioned above, I managed to open the store app through Cortana. Just noticed that when the app is open it is NOT shown on the taskbar. I just managed to open the Windows Central app through an email link to a post I made there. It is also NOT SHOWN on the taskbar when active. The few apps that are remaining on the start and program menu DO SHOW on the start menu when opened. So all the apps are definitively still there, they are just invisible.
I did provide feedback through the insider hub but got no answers.

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
@jacquesvan, I think you should call MS Tech Support and try to get it kicked up to Level 2, or level 3 to make sure that there is a heads-up by MS for the Oct 17th, release. Look luck.

jacquesvan

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Well. Three remote sessions lasting about 6 hours. The 3 MS techs tried all they could think of. SFC file check with no results. A failed in place upgrade because it would have wiped all apps and data. Finally just did a roll back. Looks good now. They told me the official release date is the 17th. Kinda dread that date now. Was fascinating though to see them take control of my PC and to watch them take all those steps. A geeks dream LOL

mtf1380

Nov 30, 2015
Visit site
@jacquesvan, well I think you did a good thing by bringing this issue to their attention... I am sure they are revisiting the issue in-house, trying to find a solution/workaround for future occurrences. Hopefully when the Oct 17 release is distributed, you will have prevented this issue for yourself, and others... hopefully!

jacquesvan

May 27, 2015
Visit site
Oops...it did it again.
Overnight my system updated again to 16299, This time most of my apps seem to be there but every single one of my gazillion start menu screen shortcuts were gone. Just don't know what to do now. Did another rollback and tried to leave the insider program for a 48 hrs reprieve. Option to leave insider are greyed out though. As I am typing this it's downloading the upgrade again. To say I'm frustrated would be an understatement LOL.
I wonder if there is a way that I could copy all of my start screen shortcuts to a USB drive to restore after the next upgrade. Don't know where to find them.
Screenshot (8) [800x600].png
Screenshot (20) [800x600].png

Tien-Lin Chang

Feb 9, 2015
Visit site
I have similar experience in my new surface pro. Updated to 16299.15 then the search function of store app and mail sync are gone so I had to reset the system then I lost setting and edge, I can't even go to the trouble shooting function to reset again. Finally I use the recovery image to restore the system then everything is settled expect the search function in store app is still dead. (hey M$ why even restore from the image file on your website the system still looks different from the initial status of my surface?) I also had this important module lost in my windows 10 mobile updated to 10536.xx once.

I think there's some issue during your update then damaged some of the function modules and windows doesn't have a self-check and patch for system integrity yet they having this lousy update process which make this happen by chance and this is terrible. You can't even roll some important module back to the working older version nor can you try to reinstall them.

dwaynebritton

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I am missing the Windows Store app. I first noticed it a few weeks ago, but forgot about it. This morning I wanted to add and app I read about, but no Store to get it from! And ideals????

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans