How to get better photos from your front facing camera

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I have used the front facing camera a huge amount of times, and i have always noticed that the results are always have grainy textures, specially for faces.

So, while i was playing around with the Lumia camera app, i realized that i can change the shutter speed for the front facing camera, just like for the rear facing. I set my front facing camera to 1/8, which is that slowest it can be, and left the ISO on auto.

And the results where very different, the pictures are more sharp, and colors are way better.

Another way also to achieve this is setting ISO on 100, and keeping the Shutter speed on Auto.

hope this helps.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I am using a 930, and the only pics that i could add when I made the post where photos of me, but I am not that photogenic so I passed, I will try to add some pics today.

Last edited:

Primoz Kavcic

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Try different apps. Lumia camera produces the worst selfies-colours incorrect and wow are the pics oversharpened. Camere360 on the other hand produces way better selfies. Also the lumia selfie app is not bad. Stock microsoft camra is also good but there are no effects to apply if you need that.

Primoz Kavcic

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I would say no. The image has no detail and is blurry. There is also a lot of noise even in decent lighting. For comparison: a friend of mine has HTC 8x and with 2MP camera her selfies are waaaay better than mine.
I mean you can still see who is on the picture but if you enlarge the picture (say on facbook) it's total crap.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
Ok, so i took two photos, under warm light, in door.

and here are the two results,

1) all Auto:

WP_20150821_18_42_16_Pro.jpg

and you can see how the app decided to light up the object using more ISO than shutter speed.

2) then i set the shutter speed to 1/8:

WP_20150821_18_42_26_Pro 1.jpg

and it is very clear how much noise is gone.

of course this is a very low lighted situation that's why object is dimmed, but in a brighter place, the app will also try to do the same thing, giving ISO priority and resulting grainy pictures like the first one.

so this is what i noticed, hope it helps

Primoz Kavcic

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I also tried this and the results are really a looot better with manually adjusting shutter speed. Thanks! Altough camera360 still produces better pics. : )

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I only see camera360 sight in the store can u link to camera360?

I'm pretty sure that is what he meant. Camera360 Sight gets to be a lot to type out. Reason: use it and you love it. So then you recommend it all the time. In post after post you go <3 Camera360 Sight, until one day you just put Camera360 as a shortcut.

:winktongue:

Lelouche Lamperouge

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Well smthng is definitely wrong with camera 360. When I snap a pic with my 1.3 mp frnt cam, it shows as a 5mp pic with a large mb size though with the same bad quality as microsoft camera. Why is that?

Primoz Kavcic

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I was wondering the same!!! Even when you download picture on the computer it shows as a 5MP. There's probably a bug in metadata i guess. Yea MS camera does decent job...

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I almost never use my FFC. I just tried 360 Sight and it leaves huge swaths of lime green and purple along the left and right edges when used in FFC mode on my BLU win HD LTE.

Yet with the rear camera it is my go to and produces some decent images.

danchristerg

Aug 1, 2015
Visit site
I also noticed and improvement on the ffc on my Lumia 930 if I manually choose the white balance, it actually removes the grainy-ness and artificial sharpening done by the software. ☺

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

May 12, 2016
Visit site
Wow, this is really great even tho I have a Lumia 640 with 1MP but still you can notice the results, I'll post some pics soon.

EDIT: Pics. Note that I've resized them to better show the grainy effect on the transparent "thing".

Auto
WP_20160912_00_32_12_Pro.jpg

ISO 100
WP_20160912_00_32_23_Pro.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb