[Guide] Installing Redstone on Unsupported devices (X2X Series)

pgDarkness

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
According to this blog post, build 14926 which is available for fast ring atm, fixes scaling issues:
We fixed a scaling issue on devices such as the Lumia 635, 636, or 638 where the bottom of certain apps, like Messaging and Maps, would get cut off and rendered off screen.
Read more at https://blogs.windows.com/windowsex...-14926-for-pc-and-mobile/#PkVBTHtCHiTm8lz7.99

The only remaining question is how and or when can we (512 MB RAM Lumia device owners) install 14926?
Any update, news relating to this guide would be appreciated.

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
According to this blog post, build 14926 which is available for fast ring atm, fixes scaling issues:

The only remaining question is how and or when can we (512 MB RAM Lumia device owners) install 14926?
Any update, news relating to this guide would be appreciated.

Try the build 189, you should be able to install it as it is a production build. Still there is no way to install insider builds on 512MB devices. BTW build 14926 is as buggy as hell.

pgDarkness

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
Try the build 189, you should be able to install it as it is a production build. Still there is no way to install insider builds on 512MB devices. BTW build 14926 is as buggy as hell.

:straight::straight::straight::straight::straight:
Tried both "Allow Update" and "Allow Update (512)" options in DHT Upgrade advisor to spoof the phone, and it cannot find any update!
I'm currently at 10.0.14393.67 and I cannot get to 189!

Help please!

crixos

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I've finally installed 10.0.10586.545
I've tried to perform "Software Requirements -> Windows 10 Mobile" steps but no new updates are available for me.

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
:straight::straight::straight::straight::straight:
Tried both "Allow Update" and "Allow Update (512)" options in DHT Upgrade advisor to spoof the phone, and it cannot find any update!
I'm currently at 10.0.14393.67 and I cannot get to 189!

Help please!

Hmm....something is blocking you from getting the update. Anyway, assuming that you had left Insider ring, try the Windows Upgrade Advisor from Store, and follow the required instructions.

I've finally installed 10.0.10586.545
I've tried to perform "Software Requirements -> Windows 10 Mobile" steps but no new updates are available for me.

Try the Upgrade Advisor from store after changing the registry.

crixos

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I've manage to install 10.0.14393.189 by following the instruction from xda-developers forum

1- Make a hard reset.
2- setup your phone after hard reset, avoid WIFI or mobile data access on your phone.
2.1- once your device is done, go to developer options and enable developer mode.
3- download and install DHTUpgrade Advisor + Dependecies via file explorer or sideload via device portal
4- Download and Install Interop Tools 1.7 and open the app and hit on Restore NDTKSvc (This will help you to change the Registry, Some users are facing error trying to hit button "Allow Update" "Allow Update 512MB")
4.1- Open DHTUpgrade Advisor and hit "Allow Update 512MB devices" or "Allow Update"
4.2- in settings> sytstem> about. check your device info, in case appears the original targetting info restart your device normally.
5- go to windows store and deactivate "Auto Update Apps", we want to stay away from Extras&Info.
6- Install Upgrade Advisor via Windows Store.
7- Once Installed open Upgrade Advisor and follow the steps, if upgrade advisor say you're up to date or there are no updates! its okay.
8- go to settings> update & security> phone update> check for updates...
-updates available

pgDarkness

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
I've manage to install 10.0.14393.189 by following the instruction from xda-developers forum

1- Make a hard reset.
2- setup your phone after hard reset, avoid WIFI or mobile data access on your phone.
2.1- once your device is done, go to developer options and enable developer mode.
3- download and install DHTUpgrade Advisor + Dependecies via file explorer or sideload via device portal
4- Download and Install Interop Tools 1.7 and open the app and hit on Restore NDTKSvc (This will help you to change the Registry, Some users are facing error trying to hit button "Allow Update" "Allow Update 512MB")
4.1- Open DHTUpgrade Advisor and hit "Allow Update 512MB devices" or "Allow Update"
4.2- in settings> sytstem> about. check your device info, in case appears the original targetting info restart your device normally.
5- go to windows store and deactivate "Auto Update Apps", we want to stay away from Extras&Info.
6- Install Upgrade Advisor via Windows Store.
7- Once Installed open Upgrade Advisor and follow the steps, if upgrade advisor say you're up to date or there are no updates! its okay.
8- go to settings> update & security> phone update> check for updates...
-updates available

It actually worked! :shocked: I'm downloading 10.0.14393.189 for my Lumia 630 dual!
The only thing that makes sense to me is problem with updated "Extras&Info".

Hmm....something is blocking you from getting the update. Anyway, assuming that you had left Insider ring, try the Windows Upgrade Advisor from Store, and follow the required instructions.
Tnx bro, as I mentioned above, I got it working and my guess is problem with updated "Extras&Info". Does it makes sense?
Thanks anyway. I hope this build doesn't cut off my ba.. I mean apps. (Will Update the reply)

Update: Nope! 10.0.14393.189 does not fix app scaling issues.
And I couldn't get the insider builds neither. still waiting for a fix on getting insider builds for 512MB devices.

Last edited:

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
Tnx bro, as I mentioned above, I got it working and my guess is problem with updated "Extras&Info". Does it makes sense?
Thanks anyway. I hope this build doesn't cut off my ba.. I mean apps. (Will Update the reply)

Ah.... that makes sense, you might have updated Extras+info unknowingly which changes the registry as well as NDTKsvc.dll. So in the future, if you're facing the same problem or any other registry issues, restore the NDTKsvc.dll either via vcREG or InteropTools.

My rant - this ******* update Extras+info breaks the battery saver ability to disable function keys lights when it is set to on. Just disable it in the store and you're good to go.

Didier FERS

Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Nothing, whatever be the ring you chose in Windows insider programme, your device registry details will get restored after a hard reset. I mentioned in the step 6 of this guide to leave the programme so as to move the phone from Insider to Production build (14393.67). You can do this manually too instead of a hard reset. Use the custompfd or Interoptools.

So for further updates, you can just spoof the device again and check for updates.

Hello
14393.221 is available on release preview
http://changewindows.org/index

1. I changed the registry with Interop Tools and take the update via Windows update (insider is on release preview)
2. I restored the registry with the Lumia 1020 values.
3. Reboot is in progress
4. :smile:

I have a question.
if I restarted without restore the values of the Lumia 1020. what is happening ?

:wink:

pgDarkness

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
bro,my lumia 630 dual sim is now running windows 8.1 can i get win 10 in this way?
No, this guide is for Lumia x2x if they are on windows 8.1

Short Answer:
Google "how to install windows 10 on Lumia 530", there is another guide to get you to windows 10. when u get there come back here and follow "System Requirements->Windows 10" section of this guide to get the latest updates too.

Long Answer:
What you need to do is to edit your device' registry and change your phone info from Lumia 630 Dual to any update eligible info, like "Microsoft Lumia 950".
To do that you need to unlock/jail break/root your phone. There is a very easy way by side loading (installing apps out of store) some apps.
"System Requirements->Windows 10" in THIS GUIDE will tell you how to do that.
But the problem with that section is there is no way to enable side loading in windows phone 8.1 by itself and the rest of the guide is for Lumia x2x devices on Windows phone 8.1 which will not work on Lumia 630 (I tried).
To side load in windows phone 8.1, you need to install "Windows phone 8.1 SDK" on a pc and connect your device via USB cable and then register your windows phone 8.1 Microsoft account as a developer. This way you can side load up to 2 apps at the same time and you only need 2 apps to enable registry editing. This entire solution has a step by step guide which you can find by searching "how to install windows 10 on Lumia 530".

Remember to:
1. If you are editing registry manually, always write down the default values somewhere out of phone (a paper?).
2. Never ever update "Extras&info". Also you need to disable automatic update in Store app.
3. For safety reasons try to do a hard reset after you upgrade, then start customizing ur stuff.
4. Also if you follow "how to install windows 10 on Lumia 530" guide, ignore the section to "Force update download on SD card". 630 doesn't need that.

Conan143

Jan 10, 2014
Visit site
I have a question.
if I restarted without restore the values of the Lumia 1020. what is happening ?

:wink:

It depends on whether you're an Insider or not. If you have enrolled in any of the Insider rings then you don't need to restore the default values coz Insider builds never get firmware updates. However, if you're in production ring then you have to change back to default values coz there is a slight possibility of you downloading the firmware update of spoofed phone which would render the device permanently unusable.

In short, you need to be aware of the firmware updates that come along with the major updates of W10M for the spoofed devices (950, 830 etc.,)

Suggestion for Camera : Use the Nokia Camera which would truly bring out the potential of your phone just like it does on my Lumia 925. Default camera has lots of glitches and was unusable in Unsupported devices.

pgDarkness

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
2 questions please.
1. how do I reset to default registry values of my 1020 so I can exit insider
2. do I have to always avoid updating extras+info?

1: how did u change your registry values? if u did it with DHT Upgrade, just use it again and tap Restore.
Exiting insider does not have anything to do with your registry values.

2: if you want to upgrade your win10-unsupported Lumia device with win10 updates, yes, u have to avoid updating extras+info. I don't think 1020 is unsupported thou!

pgDarkness

Aug 26, 2016
Visit site
I just installed 10.0.14393.321 (which is the final update for Red Stone) on my Lumia 630 dual and my app scaling issue is gone! :grin:

Initially Microsoft had fixed the issue on build 10.0.14926.1000 on insider program but I think after having it tested they decided to migrate the fix to earlier update (in this case 10.0.14393.321), so... YEAH... Thumbs up Microsoft.

No more bottom of the apps issue. Happy Halloween... :devil:
==============================================
UPDATE #1:
The problem I'm referring to appeared in one of the builds; some apps had the bottom of their UI render under the Navigation Bar which btw you cannot hide in Lumia 630, 635, 636 phones. Also when phone was rotated it was the right side not the bottom.
Microsoft did address the issue on build .321 by lifting the UIs a bit. But this fix created another issue:
Notice I said the original issue affected only some apps. The new issue affects those apps which didn't get broken with the original issue, and the new issue is when you rotate previously healthy apps, now their UI is pushed more than it should to the right which creates a blank bar between the UI and the Navigation Bar and part the UI on the right is out of reach:
wp_ss_20161016_0001.png

I didn't hard reset my phone after having this issue on my phone, if anyone had this and hard reset fixed it, please confirm.
There is an upcoming update for Red Stone 1 (Build 10.0.14393.351) which initially was not listed in Windows 10 wiki. Currently its on Preview Ring.
I hope this build fixes the issue once and for all. Also still no news on "How to get insider builds on ineligible phones" huh?
==============================================
UPDATE #2:
Build 10.0.14393.351 didn't make it to production ring but yesterday Build .448 came out and guess what? It didn't fix my problem described in UPDATE #1.

I'm going to hard reset my phone when I get some free time, no point waiting for new builds. Wish me luck...

Will update again after that.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos