Given that Here Maps and particularly Here Drive+ were infinitely better than Windows Maps, you probably want them back, but Here added a timebomb to the older apps so that they stopped working on Windows 10 Mobile around the middle of 2016, just displaying a message when you open them telling you to use Windows Maps instead (they do however still work on Windows Phone 8.1, which doesn't have an alternative built-in app).

However it is possible to get them working again (setting the clock back on your phone also works, but is obviously less than ideal as it will cause problems with other things) I think this probably only works for the Threshold 2 branch of Windows 10 Mobile ie 10586.xxx, not Redstone or later - it's working as of October 2017 on 10586.1176.

(1) Update Here Maps and Here Drive+ to the latest versions via the Store.

(2) In Store > Settings turn off the "update apps automatically" option.

(3) Open both of them to the screens telling you to use Windows Maps instead, then close them again.

(4) Press and hold on both of them in the All Apps list and select the option to uninstall - leave it for a few minutes as it actually seems to continue uninstalling in the background even though they disappear from the apps list immediately.

(5) In Settings > Update and Security > For Developers, enable the "Sideload apps" option (this is all that is needed, the phone does NOT need to be interop unlocked or anything else).

(6) Download Here-Drive-v4.2.5905.1_retail.xap.zip and Here-Maps_v3.7.65.1_retail.xap.zip from https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...14&postcount=3 - these are slightly older versions of the apps from before the timebomb was added - rename from .zip to .xap, then transfer the resulting .xap files to your phone e.g. via USB cable.

(7) From the File Explorer app open each of the two files in turn and select the option to install them - if an error appears, wait a bit longer for the newer versions to finish uninstalling in the background.

(8) Wait for them to appear in the All Apps list (this takes a few minutes while they install).

(9) Try opening them - if nothing happens when you tap on the icons, go back to the start and begin again with updating, opening, uninstalling, re-installing whichever one of the apps isn't working. Sometimes this seems to be needed once for one or both of the apps.

(10) If you want, once they are installed you can return to Settings > Update and Security > For Developers and put it back to the default setting of "Windows Store apps" - the apps will still work as they have now been installed.

(11) Do NOT update either app via the Store or enable automatic app updates (you will have to update other apps manually) or it will update to the timebombed version and you will have to start the process again. Note that the Here apps use the system-wide maps in W10M, so your offline maps will stay nice and up-to-date even though the apps are the older versions.

wp_ss_20170215_0002-1-.png

Enjoy!
    Last edited by tdbmoss; 11-17-2017 at 06:55 AM.
    02-15-2017 06:22 AM
    Awesome - Thank you so much for this!!!
    02-16-2017 10:53 PM
    Amazing. You are a genius!
    02-24-2017 12:07 PM
    Hehe, I wouldn't go that far but thanks! Enjoy Here Drive+!
    02-24-2017 01:11 PM
    Unzipped, can't find the xap files ☹
    07-21-2017 06:50 AM
    Rather than unzipping as normal, just remove the .zip from the filename (if you unzip them you actually see the contents of the .xap file) - I've updated the original post to clarify that.
    07-21-2017 09:17 AM
    I own a lumia 1020 updated to windows 10 (latest update till November 14th) i have tried your steps to install the here maps app but i cant open it. it just stays on the here maps intro screen and nothing.
    11-20-2017 09:18 AM
    please help. i tried all you steps on my lumia 1020 and nada. it just stays freeze on the intro screen of here maps
    11-20-2017 09:21 AM
    What Windows 10 build are you on, is it 10586.1176? (it needs to be a 10586.xxx/Threshold 2 build for the Here apps to work)

Do you have a working mobile data connection? I have seen it get stuck on the loading screen if you have an active mobile connection i.e. a SIM card is inserted but if it is not working e.g. it is out of credit - turning off Mobile Data from Action Centre (swipe down from the top of the screen) seems to allow it to load in that case.
    11-20-2017 11:10 AM
    my os build is way higher than the one you just mentioned....
    isn't there a way to install the app and make it work by editing the registry or somethng.
    I would use the new windows map app but every time i log in it doesn't show roads. names of the street yes but roads nope. if could only make it work i would be ok with not having here maps
    11-20-2017 12:06 PM
    The Here apps are only compatible with the 10586.xxx branch of W10M - to get that branch you can roll your phone back to 8.1 using the WDRT, then upgrade to 10586.xxx using the offline upgrade method described in the relevant how-to thread (assuming your phone is one of the older ones not supported for Redstone 1 and later, otherwise it will automatically upgrade to an incompatible branch again unless you block updates.
    Ruben Alza likes this.
    11-20-2017 03:31 PM
    thank you. i will do that this afternoon. roll back to 8.1 and force the redstone 1 again. and stay there.
    am i losing a lot by staying on RDST 1 instead of RDST 3? i mean, seriously, what are the major improvements from redstone 3 that i am giving up just to get back Here Maps?
    11-20-2017 04:14 PM
    It's Threshold 2 (10586.xxx) that you need, not Redstone 1 or later. I don't personally feel there's a massive difference between the 10586.xxx branch and the later branches - I think you lose the ability to use Skype as Microsoft ended support for Skype on 8.1 and 10.0.10586.xxx, if that's something that you use.
    11-20-2017 04:26 PM
    did it and it worked. i have here maps working perfectly and also windows maps.... now i have a question, what happens if i update the build to redstone 1 or to a later one without updating those apps? will they work or they will not? for example, will here maps open or is it completely linked to the build? and will windows maps have the same issue of not showing me the streets if i dont update taht particular app or is it also linked with the build that the streets are rendered in a way my lumia 1020 wont read properly?
    11-24-2017 09:31 AM
    The Here Apps will stop working completely if you go beyond 10586.xxx i.e. to Redstone 1 or later, they are not compatible. Not sure about your issue with Windows Maps, I don't have that issue on my 1020 running 10586.1176 and Windows Maps 5.1611.3341 which I assume is the latest - I'm using offline map data that I have downloaded if that makes any difference.
    11-24-2017 10:09 AM
    when i updated to redstone 3 windows maps did not work properly. it did open but the streets were not rendered. according to what i found out it had to do with the GPU not being compatible. dunno if it happens also on redstone 1 or 2.
    what i do find annoying is that i cant video record with stereo sound. the only app i found it could do it was proshot but now on the build i am it wont install.
    i also own a lumia 1020
    11-24-2017 10:56 AM
    Are you using the Lumia Camera app? That is the best camera app for the 1020 and it is the only phone that the latest versions till works on (they blocked it on all other phones as they want you to use the the W10M "Camera" app instead).

Might be best to stick with 10586.xxx then if there are incompatibilities with the hardware in the older phones on later W10M branches - after all, 10586.xxx is the only branch that MS did kinda support on the older Lumias as they provided it to them officially via the Insider Preview.
    11-24-2017 12:21 PM
    i am using camera app, but it doesnt record with stereo sound. only with mono. before when i had it on redstone 3 i could do it to stereo sound using proshot app but now with threshold i cant install it because of build restriction hahaha
    11-24-2017 01:11 PM
    i have the 10.0.10586.107 version
    by mistake I manually updated here maps and it stopped working.
    here drive works fine. now I can't find the here maps v 3.7 because it disappeared from the forum
    find it in an other site (appx4fun) but it says there is a problem with this app and won't let me install
    help
    08-16-2018 08:31 AM
    I have the 1020 which I used 5he bootloader prosedure to upgrade to win 10
    excuse me for me English I am from Greece
    08-16-2018 08:33 AM
    just did it thanks for the procedure
    08-16-2018 09:13 AM
    The file is still there, these are the two relevant ones - it seems a bit slow to start the download, just wait after clicking it if the download doesn't start immediately. If you get a "gone" message, try closing and re-opening your browser and trying again.

untitled.png
    08-16-2018 09:18 AM