08-28-2017 06:01 AM
66 123
tools
    logo.png
    Introduction:
    Originally you could upgrade from Windows Phone 8.1 to the latest Windows 10 Mobile build using the Insider Preview app, but Microsoft stopped that with the release of Redstone 1 during 2016, as from then onwards the Release Preview ring contained only Redstone 1 builds which were never supported on the older Lumias. Similarly, you could previously update from any 10586.xxx build to the latest 10586.xxx build even after that point by leaving the Insider Preview and checking for updates as normal, but Microsoft now seem to have blocked the unsupported Lumias from receiving any W10M updates - since late 2016 no updates at all are found.

However, you can still upgrade using an offline copy of the Windows 10 Mobile 10586.107 upgrade that the Insider Preview used to deliver From there, you can either update to the latest 10586.xxx build (either by converting to Enterprise edition which receives monthly updates over-the-air, or by applying the latest update offline), or you can then upgrade from 10586.107 to a later W10M branch i.e. Redstone 1 (Anniversary Update - 14393.xxx) or Redstone 2 (Creator's Update - 15063.xxx) if you prefer. This gives you the very latest W10M but you may decide to stick with 10586.xxx as it is the only branch that MS supported to some extent on the older Lumias and the excellent Here Drive+/Here Maps apps can be made to work on this branch but not later ones. In my testing so far I have not found the later builds to have performance or battery life advantages, though some people say they do (although they may be comparing them against much earlier 10586.xxx builds if they upgraded quickly and have not tried the later updates). Note that https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...ease-info.aspx details all of the various Windows 10 branches and updates; this is aimed at PC but mostly applies to Mobile too.

The methods outlined here for updating are totally offline (apart from the Enterprise method of updating over-the-air to the latest 10586.xxx branch, this is easier than doing an offline update) so Microsoft can't block them, and do not require any unlocking/hacking/changing the model identifier of your phone

This should work for ANY WP8 Lumia that that isn't officially supported for W10M, including 512 MB RAM ones. Warning: attempt this at your own risk, your phone may become permanently unusable if it goes wrong and I do not take any responsibility for this.

Before starting you might want to download a non carrier-branded WP 8.1 firmware image from http://lumiafirmware.com and flash it to your phone with the Windows Device Recovery Tool if your device is carrier-branded or originally from a different country than that in which you live, as this will make your device an unbranded "Country Variant" for your country (this persists after the W10M upgrade and a hard reset), but this is optional and I'm not going to cover it here. This does NOT remove the SIM lock if your device has one.

Section 1 - Upgrading from Windows Phone 8.1 (if you are already on a W10M 10586.xxx build skip this part):
    (1) Check for updates in Windows Phone 8.1 - if some are found, check again after installing them and rebooting until no more are found.

(2) Go to https://forum.xda-developers.com/win...pdate-t3527340 and download the WIM file linked to in the W10M_Offline_Update file attached to the post (any version should work, I used v3 as that was the latest when I tested this, but may as well use the most recent one now), and also download and extract iutool.7z (I will assume you have extracted that to C:\iutool)

(3) Use 7-zip to extract the relevant folder from the WIM for your phone - the post with the download tells you which folder is relevant for each phone. I will assume you have extracted it to C:\W10M. Ensure you are using the one relevant to your phone or it will not work and may make your phone permanently unusable.

(4) Connect your phone with a USB cable, open Command Prompt and change the working directory to the folder where you extracted iutool, for example cd C:\iutool - then run iutool -l and check that your phone is shown.

(5) Continuing in Command Prompt run iutool -V -p C:\W10M - this will copy all the .cab files to your phone and install them. Make sure you have enough free space on your phone for the files and the upgrade process - a hard reset before starting this process may be a good idea to be sure especially if you only have an 8 GB phone. After a while the phone will reboot and the spinning cogs should appear as it starts to install W10M - this takes quite a while so be patient! You can also monitor progress in Settings > Phone Update on the phone before it reboots - if it fails (error in Command Prompt and no progress showing in Phone Update) just try running the command for a second time.

(6) With any luck, it should eventually boot into W10M 10586.107 i.e. the original release build. I didn't seem to need to do the step that the post with the downloads advises regarding installing the IME file for your region - normally if you have a non-US phone the default keyboard will be fixed once you apply any further W10M update (next section).

Section 2 - Upgrading over-the-air from Windows 10 Mobile 10586.xxx to the latest Threshold 2/10586.xxx build using W10M Enterprise and the CBB:
    (1) Ensure you are running at least 10586.107 of W10M and that you are NOT opted in to the Insider Preview (if you have the app installed from when it still worked, go into it and opt out of all preview builds - if you have never had it installed or your phone has been hard reset since you used it, then you are fine)

(2) You will need a provisioning package that contains a Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise edition licence file - this file is a .xml file and it is available inside an .iso file on MSDN at https://msdn.microsoft.com/subscript...akamaiDL=false and on the Volume Licensing Service Centre, if you have an active account on either to be able to download it. https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...ile-enterprise then covers how to create a provisioning package with the file inside it. There is a copy of an already-compiled .ppkg file inside the v4.1 WIM image for 10586.107 that is on XDA (link in above section).

(3) Copy the provisioning package (.ppkg file) to the phone e.g. via USB cable - any location should be fine, such as the Downloads folder. As soon as you do this, a prompt to apply it should appear on the phone - accept this.

(4) Check in Settings > System > About - you should now have the Enterprise edition of W10M. If it hasn't worked, try re-applying the package (remove it via Settings > Accounts > Provisioning, then copy it across again and accept the prompt that appears) having booted the device with the SIM card removed.

(5) In Settings > Update and Security > Phone Update, press the button to check for updates. Nothing will be found as it is currently still checking for Current Branch updates which are now the latest branch which is blocked on unsupported phones, but once it has finished press the "Advanced options" button and you should see a "Defer upgrades" box has appeared. Tick this - this puts you on the Current Branch for Business for updates, which if you check for updates again will give you the latest 10586.xxx build!

(6) I would strongly recommend doing a hard reset of your phone at this point if you upgraded from Windows Phone 8.x - it shouldn't be necessary if you already did one after upgrading to W10M and have just updated to a newer W10M build. If you want to continue to receive updates, you will need to apply the Enterprise provisioning package again afterwards as a hard reset removes it.

(7) If you want Here Maps and Here Drive+ which still work on the 10586.xxx branch (not later branches), see HOW TO: get Here Drive+ and Here Maps back on Windows 10 Mobile (Threshold 2/10586.xxx branch) - Windows Central Forums

enterprise.png

The latest 10586.xxx build of Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise is ideal for most people as it is relatively easy to upgrade to from 8.1 and it works reliably on all Lumias given that it was actually supported by MS on the older phones in the early days of the Insider Programme. However, you may instead choose to update to one of the later W10M branches...

Section 3 - Offline upgrade to later W10M branches, also alternative method to upgrade from 10586.107 to the latest 10586.xxx build
    If you're still on 8.1 or below you must use the above steps to upgrade to at least 10586.107 first before updating further. You can then upgrade to the latest 10586.xxx build as above, or you can move to one of the later W10M branches.

Note: Microsoft don't seem to have been posting the required files for 15063.xxx builds to the Windows Update Catalogue recently (15063.297 is the last one they have posted), not sure why, so for now you will need to use the registry edit method to get these updates over-the-air rather than being able to install them offline. The easiest way to edit the Registry is to use the DHT Upgrade Advisor app, which is also has a version for 512 MB devices (editing the Registry manually doesn't seem to enable updates for those): https://forum.xda-developers.com/win...umias-t3434774

Offline upgrade method:

(1) Download all of the files for the version of W10M that you want using the lists at https://forum.xda-developers.com/win...n-cab-t3234805 I used Firefox with the DownThemAll extension to easily download every file in the list.

(2) With the phone connected to your PC, open Command Prompt on the PC, change the working directory to the folder where iutool.exe is located, and run getdulogs.exe -o c:\logs.cab - this will create c:\logs.cab (or you can output the file to wherever you want).

(3) Open the .cab file and then extract and open the InstalledPackages.csv file. This lists all of the packages installed on the phone, for every one that is a Microsoft one (as opposed to Nokia, OEM, etc - ignore/remove all the lines from a copy of the file where "Microsoft" does not appear after the first comma) locate the corresponding update file that was downloaded from Windows Update and copy it to a suitable location e.g. C:\W10Mupdate. You will end up with a folder containing all of the .cab files from the update that are relevant to your phone.

(4) Install all of the packages in that folder in the same way as 10586.107 was installed, i.e.: iutool -V -p C:\W10Mupdate Note: if you are updating to a later W10M branch than 10586.xxx, I found going to Redstone 2/Creator's Update only worked when I used the newer iutool.exe from the 1703 Windows Driver Kit, you can download the newer tools here if you don't want to download and install the entire WDK: https://forum.xda-developers.com/sho...&postcount=172 If it still fails, double-check that you have all of the correct .cab files and no extra ones, if so then you may need to hard reset your phone and try again. Also if it fails going straight from 10586.xxx to 15063.xxx, try upgrading to 14393.xxx first.

(5) It is recommended to do a hard reset once complete, especially so if you have not done one since upgrading from 8.1, but it can also help if you have upgraded from one W10M branch to another.

Tested with a Lumia 625 and the May 2017 Redstone 2 (Creator's Update) build, 100% offline upgrade process and with no hacks/unlocks required:

wp_ss_20170519_0001.png

Enjoy your unsupported Lumia and Windows 10 Mobile!
    Last edited by tdbmoss; 08-30-2017 at 05:45 PM.
    RumoredNow, libra89, frav and 4 others like this.
    02-15-2017 11:11 AM
    It works! My L925 is downloading now. Thank you!
    RumoredNow, libra89 and RaRa85 like this.
    02-16-2017 11:49 AM
    Can't wait to try this on the old classic L1020.
    02-17-2017 06:13 AM
    Works on L1020, now downloading .713 & 753.
    Updating from 10586.545
    02-24-2017 03:54 PM
    I'm glad to know my offline update package works.
    I'll update to V4 version on May, with MSM8916 devices support, such as LG Lancet, BLU WIN HD LTE.

Also, for some models like Lumia 521, Lumia 1320, they can't get further update to 8.10.14219.341 without Windows Insider app. I tested on them.

It's also possible to get RS1 update or any further update with modifying the model by using Interop Tools. In my case, I modified to Lumia 950 XL Dual SIM, Mainland China Variant:

PhoneHardwareVariant = RM-1116
    PhoneManufacturer = MicrosoftMDG
    PhoneModelName = RM-1116
    PhoneManufacturerModelName = RM-1116_11258
    PhoneOperatorName = 000-CN

Maybe 10586.XXX build has no problem for English-speaking countries, but in China, 10586.XXX has an issue that typing "ctrl" with Pinyin keyboard or typing "erbo" (二伯, means Uncle) with Pinyin T9 keyboard will make you keyboard crash until you reboot your phone. This issue fixed on 14393.XXX build.
    Attached Thumbnails lumia521_rs1.jpg  
    Last edited by Hikari Calyx; 02-24-2017 at 07:38 PM.
    02-24-2017 07:14 PM
    On Lumia 928, updated successfully to 10586.107, applied enterprise license. Trick with Defer Updates didn't work, reported device up to date. No further updates available or am I doing something wrong?
    02-26-2017 10:02 PM
    Update: opted out of Windows Preview, that enabled updates. On 10586.753 and happy. OK performance and battery.
    02-27-2017 01:53 PM
    Cool, keep enjoying W10M Ah yep that makes sense, the Insider Preview app must override opting into the Current Branch for Business in terms of determining which update ring your device is in. 10586.494 was the last build that got delivered via the Release Preview ring, the Insider rings do nothing for unsupported Lumias now.

I've added a note to the steps above to opt out of the Insider Preview if you are opted in, in case it saves anyone else this frustration - thanks for the feedback!
    Pencin likes this.
    02-27-2017 03:55 PM
    Anyone willing to share the Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise edition licence file for those who do not have MSDN account?
    03-17-2017 03:31 AM
    Try a Google search for "windows 10 mobile enterprise.zip", the file you need (already packaged as a .ppkg provisioning package) is there
    03-17-2017 05:57 AM
    Try a Google search for "windows 10 mobile enterprise.zip", the file you need (already packaged as a .ppkg provisioning package) is there
    Thanks mate.... the update is showing will download later....Much Appreciated
    03-17-2017 08:55 AM
    Thanks mate.... the update is showing will download later....Much Appreciated
    03-17-2017 08:56 AM
    Works on L925 (32GB), now downloading .839.
    Updating from 10586.107
    03-18-2017 02:03 PM
    I've downloaded this latest build, thanks to this forum for being so helpful.

I have to say i have not seen any much difference in performance and battery life. Edge and Outlook Mail keeps crashing as ever.
    03-20-2017 06:05 AM
    Did you do a hard reset back when you originally upgraded from 8.1 to 10? If not then it is recommended, it will obviously completely wipe your phone but can fix odd bugs etc. It's not necessary when upgrading from one 10586.xxx build to another, though it might be worth trying starting afresh if you are having issues.
    03-20-2017 07:43 AM
    anyone who can share windows 10 mobile enterprise.zip link here btw i need it free TY
    03-21-2017 05:28 PM
    Too easy @tdbmoss thank you very much, my 920 updated finally not quite working as expected on my 625, maybe later :)

Guess it's worth doing the page file thing for these phones now!
    04-01-2017 12:57 AM
    No worries, thanks It should be fine on a 625 as that is the device I tested it on, you might need to do a hard reset first if you are short on storage space (given that they are only 8 GB you may well be, there needs to be enough space to copy across all of the .cab files plus space for it to work in to apply the upgrade) or occasionally this is necessary for other reasons if it errors when upgrading to W10M. Another hard reset should always then be done after you have finished the process of upgrading and applying the latest W10M update.
    04-01-2017 05:18 AM
    After running command iutool -v -p c:\W10M, command prompt shows "no updates found". My windows phone is Lumia 630.

i saved extracted folder in o:\480x800.image.jpg

Please help me regarding this.
    i hard reset it before using this process. Storage is 8 Gb.
    04-02-2017 10:22 AM
    Did you definitely extract the correct folder - for the Lumia 630 it looks like 3rd Generation\63X is the folder that you would need?

The error suggests it can't see the .cab files - are they definitely in the folder path that you are running the command on?
    04-02-2017 10:41 AM
    Process completed successfully. First procedure completed. now next version to win 10. original folder was o:\480x800\63x..i was selecting o:\480x800....
    04-02-2017 12:19 PM
    i am facing issues regarding typing...keyboard automatically disappears when i start typing... any solution for this issue...followed the hard set procudure too...
    04-02-2017 12:37 PM
    Have you upgraded all the way to 10586.839? If so and still having problems it might be worth trying the step regarding the IME file that the link where you downloaded the WIM file if you didn't do that - I didn't find it to be necessary on the device I tested it on, I use a UK keyboard which worked fine without it, but perhaps it is required for some regions of keyboards.
    04-02-2017 03:48 PM
    i am facing issues regarding typing...keyboard automatically disappears when i start typing... any solution for this issue...followed the hard set procudure too...
    I had this issue too, after upgrading to 10586.107. I went into the language and keyboard settings, removed all languages and keyboards other than the one I selected (United Kingdom) and the issue was fixed. And after updating to 10586.839 it works fine even with additional keyboards and languages added.
    04-02-2017 10:55 PM
    (6) I would strongly recommend doing a hard reset of your device at this point if you upgraded from Windows Phone 8.x - it shouldn't be necessary if you already did one after upgrading to W10M and have just updated to a newer W10M build. If you want to continue to receive updates, you will need to apply the Enterprise provisioning package again afterwards as a hard reset removes it.
    Hi, I did this after going to 10586.839 from 10586.107, but now the Enterprise provisioning package is not working. When I install it again it shows up under Settings>Accounts>Provisioning but on Settings>System> About it the version shows "Windows 10 Mobile" instead of "Windows 10 Mobile Enterprise". Also, after the update the "Defer updates" option was available for a day, now it has disappeared too. What can I do to get the option again so that I can check for future Threshold 2 builds?
    04-03-2017 10:24 AM
66 123