speed up your windows phone 10 works 100% and tested

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Minimized apps does get restored faster without the "resuming....." after I did this registry edit.
This works.
Thanks OP !
Much needed registry edit for 640XL .

I am using v1.7 of Interop tools.
I had to Interop unlock by Restore NDTKSvc option to allow for registry edits under system.
You can write values and make them stick even if you are using the registry browser in Interop Tools v1.7
Why I am using v1.7 is that it doesn't require any additional files to be installed.

it does, you just dont remember installing them by now

for x50 lumias guys you can unlock it with the latest interoptools go to settings and there's a checkbox below the unlock for older lumias, but I dont know if that is a full reg unlock and maybe you cant edit this particular entry

the "seems faster" thing is probably coming from 2gb phones since I'm feeling like its just a placebo on the icon, but my 928 can now hold the same number of apps as my icon, I'm pretty sure it was capped at half the background apps as the icon before, and they show a quicker black screen instead of a "loading-resuming" when opening from task switcher, thats definitely an improvement, also less crashing

pretty self explanatory really, if your phone is running out of memory all the time, increasing pagefile size will help, specially when it apparently its locked at a paltry 256mb for some reason, nothing new here, but at 2gb there's not much you can do to max that out on w10m, at least not with my usual activities, so 3gb+ guys can ignore this completely

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
for x50 lumias guys you can unlock it with the latest interoptools go to settings and there's a checkbox below the unlock for older lumias, but I dont know if that is a full reg unlock and maybe you cant edit this particular entry
Unfortunately, that function doesn't work. When I tap Continue, nothing happens.
pretty self explanatory really, if your phone is running out of memory all the time, increasing pagefile size will help, specially when it apparently its locked at a paltry 256mb for some reason, nothing new here, but at 2gb there's not much you can do to max that out on w10m, at least not with my usual activities, so 3gb+ guys can ignore this completely
The thing is that 3 GB isn't enough for Messenger Calls, you need a 512 MB Pagefile as well. :D

This has been proven by more than one user, which makes me wonder it this is related to the incredibly slow startup times in FB and Messenger, bad programming.

My messenger takes 18 seconds to start, and FB a bit more, that's ridiculous.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately, that function doesn't work. When I tap Continue, nothing happens.

The thing is that 3 GB isn't enough for Messenger Calls, you need a 512 MB Pagefile as well. :D

This has been proven by more than one user, which makes me wonder it this is related to the incredibly slow startup times in FB and Messenger, bad programming.

Does your 18 seconds include the time to restart the app after it crashes?

My Idol has 4GB of RAM and it's like molasses in December so don't feel too bad.

Sent from Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows via mTalk

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Edit: I'm not sure that I got my phone unlocked at this point...

1024 MB Paging file does not improve Facebook or Messenger load time on my 950.

No Messenger Call button either.

I finally unlocked my 950 by combining info from several xda threads.

Last edited:

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site

whats really weird is a guy on reddit stating that his fb messenger now shows a voice call button with 1gb pagefile

after playing with it for a while it seems really quirky, sometimes it will show 0 bytes as pagefile essentially telling you there's no pagefile and you can tell by looking at file explorer, setting it at 2048 and so on

btw if your phone is old and you feel the storage has slowed down, this will probably kill it faster, using the main storage nand as ram will degrade it faster than normal, probably a reason microsoft set 256mb max for all phones

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
btw if your phone is old and you feel the storage has slowed down, this will probably kill it faster, using the main storage nand as ram will degrade it faster than normal, probably a reason microsoft set 256mb max for all phones
The question is how much faster..

slyronit

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Bigger pagefile is helpful in devices with less RAM; I doubt this will make the 950/950XL much faster, as they have sufficient RAM to not depend on the pagefile as much as the lower end devices.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
This is what people need to know, thanks for telling that. I didn't know that.

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 phone

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Bigger pagefile is helpful in devices with less RAM; I doubt this will make the 950/950XL much faster, as they have sufficient RAM to not depend on the pagefile as much as the lower end devices.
There's no doubt about that. I was just curious if it would affect certain app performance, given that 3 GB of RAM isn't enough for having Messenger Calling for some odd reason. At the same time a 1 GB phone with increased Paging file will get that feature.

So, in theory it seems pointless to try this on a 950, but experience shows that it's not that simple.
really much faster
very noticeable increased performance
No, I meant how much faster the memory degrades, see the quote in my post.

dov1978

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Does this activate video calling too or just calls? When I click on a contact in Messenger without this registry edit, both video and calls are greyed out. I still find this crazy on a 950xl when I have a Moto G 3rd gen budget android with 1gb ram that handles those functions no problem at all. Even WhatsApp video calls on my 950xl are laggy and jittery

Jaripi

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
valid paging file size for 950 xl
1792 1792

Hmmm, if current paging file is 1792 ... but an optimal paging file is usually 1 - 1,5 times more than RAM, so it could be 3072 or even up to 4568 for Lumia 950 / 950 XL ... anybody tried such high numbers ?

About decreasing of a life of storage (NAND), I am NOT worring about that as I have not ever heard even a single such case. I think that it is just a similar case like with SSDs - it takes years until it could really happen for average users ...

SL2

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
Does this activate video calling too or just calls?
I'm not sure, the screenshot shows a phone in the upper right corner on the Home page, next to the plus sign.
Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
DON'T DO IT!!! It will decrease phone internal memory life due to increased read write, it's not worth the risk!
I think it's up to each and everyone. Let's say you have a 520 (do they even run W10M?) and you're about to put it on the shelf just because it's slow, then you don't have much to loose.

Besides, 256 MB is a very small step.

Last edited:

EspHack

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Does this activate video calling too or just calls? When I click on a contact in Messenger without this registry edit, both video and calls are greyed out. I still find this crazy on a 950xl when I have a Moto G 3rd gen budget android with 1gb ram that handles those functions no problem at all. Even WhatsApp video calls on my 950xl are laggy and jittery

thats what several layers of nonsense does to your performance when you try to emulate something on a completely alien platform, huge inefficiency is assured

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro