So, what do we do now?

Steven Jepson

Apr 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey all.

So Ward and Rubino have gone the route of embracing Android (with MS tweaking), and they're imploring all of us holdouts to move over before December when MS cuts the thread.

Sounds like a great idea, but what if you CAN'T do it?

My 950XL is cranky. I have to reboot (or take the battery out) when it bricks, and fortunately it always comes back. But I wince every time I do it, wondering whether it is going to come back. I haven't had a front camera for over two years (a wonk at an MS store said it was a hardware issue), but I've made do. Speed is not the best, compared to the faster new shiny things from Samsung or Apple (well hell, ANYONE :wink:).

But, if I had the choice, I'd keep it.

Why?

Because it WORKS. I LOVE the OS. I love the fact that all the MS apps are included, and they work seamlessly across the other hardware I have (personal laptop and work PC). The camera is GLORIOUS - I get complements on it from people whose life is photographing on smartphones. I've worked around the lack of apps, although that's getting harder and harder.

If I had to get another, they're relatively inexpensive through eBay, or I could upgrade (?) to the HP X3. That's a lot more palatable than forking down $600-900 for a OnePlus or a Huawei. And it appears that Andromeda will not be coming out...

But when MS pulls the plug, where do we go? I haven't dove into it, but is there a version of W10M on XDA?

Would love to hear some thoughts.
I'd love to

Elky64

Jun 2, 2017
Visit site
Hey all.

So Ward and Rubino have gone the route of embracing Android (with MS tweaking), and they're imploring all of us holdouts to move over before December when MS cuts the thread.

Sounds like a great idea, but what if you CAN'T do it?

My 950XL is cranky. I have to reboot (or take the battery out) when it bricks, and fortunately it always comes back. But I wince every time I do it, wondering whether it is going to come back. I haven't had a front camera for over two years (a wonk at an MS store said it was a hardware issue), but I've made do. Speed is not the best, compared to the faster new shiny things from Samsung or Apple (well hell, ANYONE :wink:).

But, if I had the choice, I'd keep it.

Why?

Because it WORKS. I LOVE the OS. I love the fact that all the MS apps are included, and they work seamlessly across the other hardware I have (personal laptop and work PC). The camera is GLORIOUS - I get complements on it from people whose life is photographing on smartphones. I've worked around the lack of apps, although that's getting harder and harder.

If I had to get another, they're relatively inexpensive through eBay, or I could upgrade (?) to the HP X3. That's a lot more palatable than forking down $600-900 for a OnePlus or a Huawei. And it appears that Andromeda will not be coming out...

But when MS pulls the plug, where do we go? I haven't dove into it, but is there a version of W10M on XDA?

Would love to hear some thoughts.
I'd love to

I think at this point and time the answer is crystal clear. You'll have no choice but to switch to Android, iOS, or other, in the near future.

Other than using a launcher on Android in attempts to replicate the feeling of Windows Mobile don't think there's any other magical solutions to retain the full-on W10M experience you love. Sure NOS or used Windows Phones may keep you going for a wee bit longer but truly believe the lack of support will shut the door rather quickly. Unlikely the phones will just up and quit yet it's anyone's guess at this point what will actually happen.

Personally, think you'd be better off testing the waters of the "other side" now rather than waiting until the bitter end but that's up to you.

Good luck :smile:

patcherd

Oct 16, 2015
Visit site
I have been bouncing back and forth between android and windows now for the last 2 years when I got my Nokia 6 in 2017 .I just can't fully abandon the windows platform.

For one the typing on my Alcatel is night and day better than android...even with SwiftKey installed, but nowhere near as good as Windows 8.1 predictive text was on my old Nokia 925.

Android is barely tolerable to me, BUT it has apps galore if you are looking for apps no longer on windows.

If you do go android I say that you should give stock android a try with phones from Nokia. You will get updates and OS upgrades through the android one program . I have been getting mine monthly.

I am in the US and have the Nokia 6.1 which is an excellent mid ranger. All metal build and has that well built feel to it. Typical Nokia. Runs smooth and has a good battery.

HMD is doing well with Nokia and I hope more carriers in the US are going to get their phones other than Verizon and cricket.

Even so though you can get their phones unlocked on Amazon or Best Buy.

BajanSaint69

Jun 30, 2017
Visit site
I always bought my phones for the camera, it was what brought me to Windows phone in the first place with the 1020, I then stayed even though the platform was in decline because I couldn't find a better camera with manual controls than the 950xl. I'm going to miss my Windows mobile phone, but I'm going to move on. Huawei's Mate 20x looks like it's going to be my next one.....

but I will keep an eye out for Andromeda (if it ever happens)

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Op, fwiw, it is very cheap and pretty easy to buy a new camera and replace. I did it for my wife's 950. Works great.

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
I actually saw this thread in my weekly tapatalk mails. No idea why I'm still subscribed lol.

What do you do now? keep the 950 so you can install full W10 on it at some point. You know, just for kicks. Otherwise, you should def jump ship. Trust me, it bothers me to say it, but if MS doesn't care about its own mobile platform, why should we? :/

I'm not being a downer, I'm just trying to throw you overboard lol

ven07

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site

Seeing as you would be new to Android, maybe try the Poco phone or the Honor lineup? Reviews have been decent :)

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
That's a lot more palatable than forking down $600-900 for a OnePlus or a Huawei.

You can get a 256GB OnePlus 6T with 8GB RAM for $629. This is one of the best overall values in any phone in my opinion. Lower storage options are available for a lower price.

Stephen Townsley

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft recommends people use Android or IOS. I made the move a while back and I now have a Nokia 7 Plus. It's a Nokia so it has Zeiss optics and many of the same people that designed the Windowsphone now design Android Nokia phones for HMD Global. The company set up across the street from the old Nokia building and employed a load of people who Microsoft made redundant.

So despite using Android, I feel I am using the spiritual successor to my old Windowsphones.

Ryujingt3

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft recommends people use Android or IOS. I made the move a while back and I now have a Nokia 7 Plus. It's a Nokia so it has Zeiss optics and many of the same people that designed the Windowsphone now design Android Nokia phones for HMD Global. The company set up across the street from the old Nokia building and employed a load of people who Microsoft made redundant.

So despite using Android, I feel I am using the spiritual successor to my old Windowsphones.

I get the same feeling, only I chose Xiaomi, not Nokia. Both use AndroidOne, meaning you get fully-fledged Andoid and updates, without the bloat. I still get the sense of joy of using an Android phone that I had when I was on Windows Phone.

sd4f

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
The Lumia 920 was the best phone I ever had. I moved to a Lumia 950 when the fb messenger app got killed in 2017 for WP8.1, and a couple of weeks ago, I bought a nokia 8 when there was a good deal on one, and then in the following days facebook announced that they're killing their apps on W10M.

Anyway, I digress; start researching phones that you might want, and what's better to do is to try out some before you have to buy. I've read a few positive experiences with Nokia phones, well for the most part, my Nokia 8 is a fine phone, but HMD appear to be having some trouble of late, and they're not supporting their phones like they should at the moment. Also, stock android may not necessarily be an asset, but just saying because it's all down to personal preference.

While I'd relish the chance to go back to WP, fact of the matter is it's over, it's not going to get any better and unfortunately, somehow, a rather unremarkable and rather annoying OS made huge strides in the industry, and won. The level of polish between WP and android is remarkable, because android just always seems unfinished, the apps are generally worse than iOS, and somehow it trudges along. With that said, the speed at which is runs is reminiscent of how fast WP was back when it was new.

naddy6969

Aug 8, 2017
Visit site
What we do now, is do what most/all other Windows phone users have done.

Move on.

I moved on to iPhones and iPads. I tried Android first, but Android is a mess, and google is the least trustworthy company on the planet.

I still have a 1520 and an Icon, but they are basically MP3 players at this point. I realize everyone here wants to “ stand their ground” and be the last person in the galaxy using a Windows phone. But I just need more than WP can offer today.

It’s dead, Jim. Let it go.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3