The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
08-26-2014 11:54 PM
92 1234
tools
    That looks ******* amazing
    02-15-2014 05:10 PM
    Also, you are the black_hawk of The Verge right?
    02-15-2014 05:16 PM
    future of windows phone
    02-15-2014 11:55 PM
    Ah, this is the first time I see someone really tries to merge the UI instead of containing themselves with WPX. Good job.
    02-16-2014 12:02 AM
    that looks HORRIBLE !

If i want something like that, i can just buy Android! Nope, MS does it right. We should wait for WP 8.1, it will be great and impressive! I know that :)
    agreed 100%.. :)
    02-16-2014 12:03 AM
    Thanks everyone for your feedback, much appreciated.

I wonder why some people think of it as an Android copy, while most of my ideas came straight ahead from Microsoft's own OS: Windows 8.

As I said earlier, I realize that it can make some things more busy, but it's a sacrifice that you'll have to take in the sake of functionality. If you want something so simple, you might as well stick with your applist, have one home page that scrolls (similar to iOS). But can you do that really?

Way too busy to be Modern. It's less simple and more Android like. Modern design language puts content first not controls. It brings to you all the content without distracting you. This home screen will freak me out not just distract me. Far too many circles in boxes that are a mix of squares and rectangles.

If I had to have an interactive tile, I would rather have gesture based tiles. A tap zooms the tile and opens up these extra circles (controls). However, a double tap will just open the apps like they do right now. It's simple, but effect way to leave Modern, well modern and still make it powerful.

Gestures are way forward. Customized gesture. Maybe double tap to launch for me but maybe making a circle motion on tile for you.
    Thank you for your post.

I think I've always been the gesture-type guy, I like them pretty much, but when you're talking about simplicity, gestures are your nightmare. They can confuse consumers way too much, people have suffered a lot with Windows 8 and Blackberry's OS. I like what you're suggesting, but this can be a little bit complicated.

Anyways, If you try to download these images, and open them on a Lumia 1520, you would get my concept better. It looks really beautiful on the screen of a big phone.

Also, if you look at the Facebook tile, buttons are not always circles, they can open up an API where certain places of the tile can be buttons. For instance: notifications, messages and friend requests of Facebook, so instead of having four tiles for Facebook (main, notifications, messages, friend requests), you could have just ONE! Doesn't that make things more simple?

also, you are the black_hawk of the verge right?
    yup :)
    Last edited by rockstarzzz; 02-16-2014 at 08:01 AM.
    Himanshu Chowdhary likes this.
    02-16-2014 02:50 AM
    nope, sorry way way way to crowded to be considered modern... the design looks like it might work on larger phones like the 1520, but anything smaller than that would look like windows 8 and android had a baby... and not in the good way :p
    PipoDj, CamiKitti and rockstarzzz like this.
    02-16-2014 04:06 AM
    I won't be nice but as much as I appreciate the effort, there's too much text, unnecessary tile shortcuts, translucencies, and it's too cramped. It looks like BB10 with a 3rd party wp launcher and Asha OS lockscreen notifications. Just, try sticking with the design language a bit more. You could lose those translucencies and maybe apply a bit more space in notifications, also lose the buttons on tiles - tiles display information, so a more ideal function for it to be more interactive would be if the app can be programmed to go straight to the content as soon as the user taps on the tile with whatever information is displayed, so it's like saying for example, when you play a song and exit back to the start screen and you tap on music+videos tile it goes to the hub instead of the now playing screen, when really it should take you to the now playing screen, thus eliminating the press volume button and tap on song to take you to now playing screen (get me?).
    yehuda92 and iSicle like this.
    02-16-2014 04:25 AM
    This is a really awesome concept. The best part of this concept is how you've brought life to the UI as I'm really bored with the solid colours of the live tiles which is the only thing I hate about WP.
    linking1990 likes this.
    02-16-2014 05:04 AM
    This is one hell of an ugly design, way too cluttered and reminds me of first touchscreen phones
    yehuda92 likes this.
    02-16-2014 06:07 AM
    Absolutely beautiful concept. thank you for sharing.
    linking1990 likes this.
    02-16-2014 06:18 AM
    I love it. To make everyone happy just allow us to decide as a option to show or not show controls or extras on tiles. Win win.
    linking1990 likes this.
    02-16-2014 06:20 AM
    I really appreciate your comments. Thanks everyone :)
    abel920 and flyingsolid like this.
    02-16-2014 07:37 AM
    So polarizing this is. IDK how anyone can think its ugly though
    02-16-2014 08:06 AM
    I really appreciate your comments. Thanks everyone :)
    Why don't you join Microsoft windows phone design team. ;) or post this on windows phone user suggestion page. They do hear user feedback as one can see from the leaks of windows phone 8.1 :)
    linking1990 likes this.
    02-16-2014 08:11 AM
    I love the buttons avaliable on live tiles , they are must , for say if I am listening to music , I would rather prefer to have controls on tiles rather opening the app , or pressing the volume button to get the music bar controls , highly impressed by this one .pinch out gesture on start screen , with groups should be there on wp 8.1 since windows 8 does have this , wp 8.1 is getting almost all the features from windows 8.1 so why all these should be added to wish list ;)
    02-16-2014 08:21 AM
    I like everything but the wallpaper behind the tiles and apps. It really makes things look to busy. You should pop out your renders sans those and see how people compare them. Otherwise, awesome job!
    02-16-2014 11:12 AM
    I forgot not fan of wallpapers behind the tiles either. Way to cluttered looking.
    02-16-2014 11:37 AM
    I like everything but the wallpaper behind the tiles and apps. It really makes things look to busy. You should pop out your renders sans those and see how people compare them. Otherwise, awesome job!
    this feature might debut in windows phone 8.1
    02-16-2014 11:38 AM
    I like a lot of the concept. I would have it so that only the app needing circles inside the tile could make use of it only in wide. It seems a little busy but that something that can be solved. This concept contains a lot of what I what to see. :yes:
    02-16-2014 12:06 PM
    Sorry, but I actually hope that no version of WP will ever look like this. There are some nice features, but all in all it looks too much like Android with too many switches and buttons.
    Jaskys likes this.
    02-16-2014 04:40 PM
    I like it. I'm especially taken with the colors. However, I don't see that much information co-mingling on a screen of 4.7 inches and below. On a phone like the 520 and 521 that would be out of the question. I think it would work on phones with more real estate like the 1520. Nice images though.
    psudotechzealot likes this.
    02-16-2014 05:10 PM
    To be honest OP, I don't like it. I find it too busy and too much...like...Windows Mobile, I guess. It just doesn't feel as modern or sleek. I can't quite put my finger on it.
    despertador and Jaskys like this.
    02-16-2014 06:59 PM
    The bad:
    -The grouping should be thrown out, I want all my stuff in one group mixed around in a way that makes it easy for me to get to.
    -no need to show music that is playing in notification center. You can get to it using up/down keys. No need to add it in another place.
    -Notification center looks far to crowded
    -Quick apps is bad. All the applications you use most frequently should be on the top of home screen. I had "quick applications" or something like that on Cydia on an iPhone 4 for around 1.5 years, I used it twice I think. the applications you use most should be at the top of your home screen, simple. This is also a reason why I dislike the whole idea of grouping.
    -buttons on applications are clunky (see "other")
    -holding back should not close application (see "other")
    -No parallax effect, PLEASE. Same with custom backrounds. Outside of a solid color I think it just wrecks the design of the OS.

The good:
    -Charm's bar is a great way to fix a lot of small issues with WP8.
    -SLIDER FOR BRIGHTNESS YES!!! Also, let me set brightness to the lowest manually (Which I assume that does)
    -Buttons on applications are amazing (see "other")
    -new way to use buttons is large improvement (see "other")
    -New "share" implementation is great.

OTHER:
    -buttons on applications are both horrible and amazing. Having them in applications that are backrounding is great, but otherwise they really should not be used.
    -No reason to make holding "back" close an application. Have them close via multi-tasking menu instead. Just pointless added complexity. As a matter of fact, also, keep holding back to get to multi-tasking menu. No reason to change. Voice control makes a lot more sense.

-Q
    Last edited by Quinn FitzGerald; 02-16-2014 at 08:15 PM. Reason: added more comments/explained better
    02-16-2014 08:12 PM
    I agree with the others and generally think it's too busy. Also, it's totally possible to add features while maintaining a neat and intuitive UI - it just takes much more work.
    Jaskys likes this.
    02-16-2014 11:35 PM
92 1234