Windows Phone 9 concept - linking1990

anon(7900571)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I love the buttons avaliable on live tiles , they are must , for say if I am listening to music , I would rather prefer to have controls on tiles rather opening the app , or pressing the volume button to get the music bar controls , highly impressed by this one .pinch out gesture on start screen , with groups should be there on wp 8.1 since windows 8 does have this , wp 8.1 is getting almost all the features from windows 8.1 so why all these should be added to wish list ;)

jjmurphy

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I like everything but the wallpaper behind the tiles and apps. It really makes things look to busy. You should pop out your renders sans those and see how people compare them. Otherwise, awesome job!

flyingsolid

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I like a lot of the concept. I would have it so that only the app needing circles inside the tile could make use of it only in wide. It seems a little busy but that something that can be solved. This concept contains a lot of what I what to see. :yes:

QwarkDreams

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Sorry, but I actually hope that no version of WP will ever look like this. There are some nice features, but all in all it looks too much like Android with too many switches and buttons.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I like it. I'm especially taken with the colors. However, I don't see that much information co-mingling on a screen of 4.7 inches and below. On a phone like the 520 and 521 that would be out of the question. I think it would work on phones with more real estate like the 1520. Nice images though.

ajst222

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
To be honest OP, I don't like it. I find it too busy and too much...like...Windows Mobile, I guess. It just doesn't feel as modern or sleek. I can't quite put my finger on it.

Quinn FitzGerald

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
The bad:
-The grouping should be thrown out, I want all my stuff in one group mixed around in a way that makes it easy for me to get to.
-no need to show music that is playing in notification center. You can get to it using up/down keys. No need to add it in another place.
-Notification center looks far to crowded
-Quick apps is bad. All the applications you use most frequently should be on the top of home screen. I had "quick applications" or something like that on Cydia on an iPhone 4 for around 1.5 years, I used it twice I think. the applications you use most should be at the top of your home screen, simple. This is also a reason why I dislike the whole idea of grouping.
-buttons on applications are clunky (see "other")
-holding back should not close application (see "other")
-No parallax effect, PLEASE. Same with custom backrounds. Outside of a solid color I think it just wrecks the design of the OS.

The good:
-Charm's bar is a great way to fix a lot of small issues with WP8.
-SLIDER FOR BRIGHTNESS YES!!! Also, let me set brightness to the lowest manually (Which I assume that does)
-Buttons on applications are amazing (see "other")
-new way to use buttons is large improvement (see "other")
-New "share" implementation is great.

OTHER:
-buttons on applications are both horrible and amazing. Having them in applications that are backrounding is great, but otherwise they really should not be used.
-No reason to make holding "back" close an application. Have them close via multi-tasking menu instead. Just pointless added complexity. As a matter of fact, also, keep holding back to get to multi-tasking menu. No reason to change. Voice control makes a lot more sense.

-Q

Last edited:

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I agree with the others and generally think it's too busy. Also, it's totally possible to add features while maintaining a neat and intuitive UI - it just takes much more work.

anon(8050146)

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
Sorry to be straight to the point but this is one of the most horrible UI concepts I ever saw. You don't understand the mobile phone's audience. You don't understand that smartphones OSs are made to be portable yet powerful. This looks like a plane dashboard but I bet it would be easier and smoother to learn how to fly a plane than to use that UI.

Why I went straight to the point and got harsh? Because this is an insult to the simplicity of the modern UI. Stop, please.

gerzhwin

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I also have to say it's much too busy, crowded, and extremely confusing.

WP is known for design principles like 'more with less' or 'let your content breathe', which can't be achieved by cramming the screen with content, and trying to fit controls onto tiles. I guess transparency settings and tiles grouping could be turned off, and that the use of a background image would be optional, but there are way to many differently sized touch targets, and also GUI elements that don't adhere to WP's design guidelines.

However, an implementation of the charms bar is something that could have great effect on usability and reduced development effort.

Thanks for the hard work though.

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Sorry to be straight to the point but this is one of the most horrible UI concepts I ever saw. You don't understand the mobile phone's audience. You don't understand that smartphones OSs are made to be portable yet powerful. This looks like a plane dashboard but I bet it would be easier and smoother to learn how to fly a plane than to use that UI.

Why I went straight to the point and got harsh? Because this is an insult to the simplicity of the modern UI. Stop, please.

Dear Sir, and everyone that agrees with you,

I thank you for your comment, but you need to realize something, this concept is made mostly from ideas coming from Windows 8. The charms bar, grouping of tiles, background wallpaper, sorting the app list, and many other things are taken straight away from Windows 8. I understand the mobile audience quite well, being simple and non-efficient is probably what's stopping Windows Phone from getting bigger. People want more from a mobile operating system, they don't need it to be just simple.

If you download those screenshots on your mobile device, and see them in person, imagine stuff quite well, you'd understand how this concept solves probably all of the hiccups and shortages of the main UI.

Thanks again :)

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
The bad:
-The grouping should be thrown out, I want all my stuff in one group mixed around in a way that makes it easy for me to get to.
-no need to show music that is playing in notification center. You can get to it using up/down keys. No need to add it in another place.
-Notification center looks far to crowded
-Quick apps is bad. All the applications you use most frequently should be on the top of home screen. I had "quick applications" or something like that on Cydia on an iPhone 4 for around 1.5 years, I used it twice I think. the applications you use most should be at the top of your home screen, simple. This is also a reason why I dislike the whole idea of grouping.
-buttons on applications are clunky (see "other")
-holding back should not close application (see "other")
-No parallax effect, PLEASE. Same with custom backrounds. Outside of a solid color I think it just wrecks the design of the OS.

The good:
-Charm's bar is a great way to fix a lot of small issues with WP8.
-SLIDER FOR BRIGHTNESS YES!!! Also, let me set brightness to the lowest manually (Which I assume that does)
-Buttons on applications are amazing (see "other")
-new way to use buttons is large improvement (see "other")
-New "share" implementation is great.

OTHER:
-buttons on applications are both horrible and amazing. Having them in applications that are backrounding is great, but otherwise they really should not be used.
-No reason to make holding "back" close an application. Have them close via multi-tasking menu instead. Just pointless added complexity. As a matter of fact, also, keep holding back to get to multi-tasking menu. No reason to change. Voice control makes a lot more sense.

-Q

- About grouping, it's already there in Windows 8, combined with Semantic Zoom, it makes life a lot easier for the user. Instead of scrolling in endless ways, you could achieve what you want way quicker and easier. It's the replacement of folders in other operating systems, which makes me about to throw up when I think of it's idea even!
Also, it's all about options, you can have this, or that. People have different takes and ways of dealing with the OS.

- You have a point, but I thought we could get rid of that in the volume up+down, that's what I saw in the leaks of 8.1.

- Maybe, but in every other OS it's the same, it's supposed to be text heavy as it's a hub that gathers text.

- You don't get the idea of quick apps then, forget about using them while you're in the start page, but think about using them when you're in an app or a game. You could have quick access all the time for the apps you use the most. I think it's a bit limiting having to pin those to the top of the start page, having more options is always welcomed.

- I agree with your "other" point regarding buttons.

- It's not that confusing, it's easier to close apps this way. Latest leaks suggests that swiping apps off the multi-tasking menu suspends them, not closes them. I want a normal back button, a one that closes apps. You see, I've used all 3 operating systems, and Windows Phone way of handling the back button is weird, and many don't get it. If you keep pressing the back button you may get back to the start page, but then if you had an app running in the background and you pressed back again, it goes to it. How the hell am I supposed to know what's running in the background all the time? Believe me it's way confusing this way.

- Solid backgrounds, or scrollable ones, or even fixed wallpapers are options.

I discussed the bad points with you only. All in all, thanks for your comment and thorough look. :)

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Is it just me? Looks like a cross between android and blackberry.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk
Absolutely no. So you can fully customize everything in your Windows 8.1 machine. Does that mean your machine is an Android copy cat?
It really annoys me when all these minimalist fanboys keeps shoving this idea in everyone's throat that more customization == android. IT IS NOT.

Android is not fully customizable at all. It is not even compatible with anything other than Android apps.

YOU CAN RUN Android in Windows, but you CAN'T RUN Windows on Android. There's the big difference.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
- About grouping, it's already there in Windows 8, combined with Semantic Zoom, it makes life a lot easier for the user. Instead of scrolling in endless ways, you could achieve what you want way quicker and easier. It's the replacement of folders in other operating systems, which makes me about to throw up when I think of it's idea even!
Also, it's all about options, you can have this, or that. People have different takes and ways of dealing with the OS.

- You have a point, but I thought we could get rid of that in the volume up+down, that's what I saw in the leaks of 8.1.

- Maybe, but in every other OS it's the same, it's supposed to be text heavy as it's a hub that gathers text.

- You don't get the idea of quick apps then, forget about using them while you're in the start page, but think about using them when you're in an app or a game. You could have quick access all the time for the apps you use the most. I think it's a bit limiting having to pin those to the top of the start page, having more options is always welcomed.

- I agree with your "other" point regarding buttons.

- It's not that confusing, it's easier to close apps this way. Latest leaks suggests that swiping apps off the multi-tasking menu suspends them, not closes them. I want a normal back button, a one that closes apps. You see, I've used all 3 operating systems, and Windows Phone way of handling the back button is weird, and many don't get it. If you keep pressing the back button you may get back to the start page, but then if you had an app running in the background and you pressed back again, it goes to it. How the hell am I supposed to know what's running in the background all the time? Believe me it's way confusing this way.

- Solid backgrounds, or scrollable ones, or even fixed wallpapers are options.

I discussed the bad points with you only. All in all, thanks for your comment and thorough look. :)

Don't let all these nonsense bother you. I agree that you need criticism, but plain hating because they don't want more features is just stupid. Don't waste your time listening to these people.

You're doing a tremendous job. If they are so smart, I dare them to spend 1000 hours coming up with relatively half as good of a design as you did.

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Don't let all these nonsense bother you. I agree that you need criticism, but plain hating because they don't want more features is just stupid. Don't waste your time listening to these people.

You're doing a tremendous job. If they are so smart, I dare them to spend 1000 hours coming up with relatively half as good of a design as you did.

Thank you a lot for your kind words.
You see, I am an engineer, not even a designer, but I have some Photoshop skills and a lot of passion for Windows Phone. I've done this work over a month, working on it an hour a day almost, and I am really happy to see some people liking it that much :)

Thanks again.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos