08-26-2014 11:54 PM
92 ... 234
tools
    Just. Amazing.
    linking1990 likes this.
    02-23-2014 04:24 AM
    I am not too sure. I love my current Windows 8 phone because it's simplistic. That's not a bad thing. I don't know if I would like buttons on my tiles like that. A complaint with Android is that things are too small for touch. Thee buttons look too small on a typical size phone. I want to just touch the tile and go from there. Why have buttons on it? Can we turn them off?
    yehuda92 likes this.
    02-23-2014 05:11 AM
    Good concept - it seems to look a bit busy because of the background pictures - using solid colors and simple patterns (like we have on windows 8 PC) would be better
    02-24-2014 01:20 AM
    I am not too sure. I love my current Windows 8 phone because it's simplistic. That's not a bad thing. I don't know if I would like buttons on my tiles like that. A complaint with Android is that things are too small for touch. Thee buttons look too small on a typical size phone. I want to just touch the tile and go from there. Why have buttons on it? Can we turn them off?
    I chose to implement them as they would compliment Microsoft's own vision: get in, get out. They make things much much easier. Just imagine how would that affect your experience using the phone. Instead of pinning a whole load of tiles to get to specific locations of an app, you could do that with one tile. Look at the Facebook tile, they don't have to be rounded circles for the buttons. They could be implemented within the tile design itself.
    02-24-2014 03:15 AM
    Good concept - it seems to look a bit busy because of the background pictures - using solid colors and simple patterns (like we have on windows 8 PC) would be better
    It's all about choices, my concept has a lot to do with all the leaks that we are getting for how WP 8.1 would be. I made some simple designs, and other busy ones. Having options on your smartphone is what everybody looks for these days.
    02-24-2014 03:16 AM
    Just. Amazing.
    You are amazing :). Thanks
    03-01-2014 06:16 AM
    Apparently my interactive tiles concept, the one many fought me for and was against, is something Microsoft research is testing with.

start-mockup-3.jpg
    Donny James likes this.
    04-12-2014 03:00 AM
    your design is very complex ... the simplicity of the os is gone .. in my opinion..
    Ezhik likes this.
    04-12-2014 03:09 AM
    among these features and screenshot I love the Semantic Zoom and the Grouping of tiles.

Have you already seen the Windows phone 8.5/9 concept on youtube?

That has gestures and looks simple.
    Yet appealing!

I love your work though! Hopefully microsoft would consider getting Idea from your work to improve WP functionality!

8.5/10⭐
    04-12-2014 04:02 AM
    Except the concept they've created is not like yours at all, other than a button on a live tile; and is on the proper Windows skew, not Windows Phone. The actual Modern UI is left intact, whereas you've torn it to pieces with clutter.

I'm sure plenty of people like yours, but Microsoft Research looks to have implemented a drawer system that doesn't feel too terribly out of place, and makes sense on the Windows start screen, where people may not need to necessarily open every app all the time for more information, or want to access more notifications quickly.

Windows elements should not be directly ported to Windows Phone. Implement a charms system that works in the new action/notification centre.

I'm all for choice. I love the skinned tiles WP8.1 looks to have. But I'd love proper backgrounds as well as full command of colours. Grouped tiles are interesting.
    04-12-2014 07:45 AM
    I sort of like it but it looks way too busy and reminds me sort of how chaotic android is.
    04-12-2014 07:49 AM
    nothing special for lockscreen??
    08-25-2014 01:20 AM
    Flexible OS - this concept introduces a flexible OS, wherein it fashions itself according to hardware present. For example, if the OS detects a dual core processor, it will prevent itself from operating more than 10 apps simultaneously in the background. If the OS detect a screen resolution of less than 720p, it will show maximum of 4 columns in the startscreen and will not let the user use splitscreen. Higher screen resolution also adjusts the font size of the screen so that texts will not become too large.

Startscreen - this UI supports up to 6 columns, with more tile sizes up to 6x4. This means apps can show more information per tile.

Interactive live tiles - tiles are more interactive than ever. Tiles now support buttons that are clickable. Not anymore do you need to open the app to do simple stuff like mark as read, or delete messages. You can do them directly from the startscreen.

Folders - sometimes, our startscreen gets too cramped because we add many important tiles on it. Now, we can combine tiles into folders. It's up to you how to use it.

All apps view - similar to windows 8.1, the all apps view can now be sorted the way to want it. Apps can also be grouped according to the user's preferences. Groups are expandable and collapsible so users can search apps easier. Users can also hide apps of course.

Integrated search - your search button is more useful than ever. For example, if you are in the messenger and tapped on search button, it will search initially the messenger, followed by other apps, files and the net. Finishing the search will direct you to search hero. Still, everything is powered by Bing.

Voice search - voice search is even more powerful. It functions as a regular search engine that uses search hero, as well as a way to open apps, communicate with people, or ask for anything.

volume profile - many users wanted different volume for their ringtone, alarms etc. pressing the volume rocker changes the master volume, but users can adjust further the volume by pressing the "..." beside the master volume.

Gestures - this UI follows the gestures from win8. Apps can now be switched by swiping from the left edge. Apps can also be closed by swiping down from the top edge. Users can also activate splitscreen by swiping from left edge then holding the app at the center.

More gestures - swiping up from different points at the bottom edge opens different features. Up from back button opens the task manager. Up from the windows button opens the quick launch and up from the search button opens TellMe (voice search).

Task manager - your task manager is now packed with features. From here, you can easily close app/multiple apps, and create splitscreen. You can also manage data usage from the task manager. And finally, you don't need to hold the back button for 2 seconds to show task manager. An upward swipe from the back button opens it!

Quick launch - this UI introduces a faster way to reach your apps from anywhere. By swiping up from the windows button, 6 customizable apps can be accessed.

Downloads hub - user can now access download hub, a hub that organizes all downloads from your apps. From here current downloads can be paused, resumed or stopped. Recently downloaded files can also be opened from the hub.

Apps portrait/landscape view - some apps like videos permanently runs on landscape. On this UI, such apps are now fashioned to run on either view.

Notification center - a short swipe from the right edge shows a peek view of the notification screen. From there, users can see 1x1 tiles of apps with notification and the number of notifications. Tapping on one of the tiles will open the first page of the app. at the bottom of the peek view is a permanent tile for settings app.

Notification center (full) - a long swipe from the right edge opens the full view of the notification center. From there you can access/control the music and the volume profile. Apps with current multiple notifications can be collapsed and expanded. Tapping on the particular notification will direct the user to the exact spot on the app.

Lock screen - the lock screen has been slightly changed to accommodate the quick launch and notification screen. The notification icons are now lined vertically at the right side of the screen. Apps can be opened directly from the notification screen and quick launch.
    08-26-2014 06:39 AM
    Don't make the start screen too messy.... People don't need it.
    1. No need of weather in notification hub, please choose another place.
    2. Enlarge the sharing option, through every possible app, from every corner position.
    3. Something's are appearing double on start screen it is not necessary, as I said it is messy..
    4. Every tile doesn't need to have 3 buttons or options, as we see in those pics, please reduce that, because we have Cortana... So think about it.
    5. "visually" improve more..... Don't make tiny tiny screens for every option... Make those at one.. I'm talking about "sounds " over the top....
    08-26-2014 08:47 AM
    Watch some clips in YouTube, those are fan made for windows 9 concept... It is best
    08-26-2014 08:49 AM
    You should have been on the team. Anyone saying otherwise is deluded to think the current 8.1 even comes close to be as usable as what your screenshots show. It's quite frustrating to see Microsoft couldn't even make it on their own presentations.
    08-26-2014 01:38 PM
    Right ideas, bad implementation.
    With that said, a lot of the ideas are actually natural progressions of the modern UI. So I cant say whether or not 'your' ideas are driving MS to put it together.

What we have as the notification/action center is far less cluttered than what was envisioned here. But it can be improved upon, for example the notifications can be threaded like emails (for different notifications from the same app), and could benefit from individual clearing (as opposed to either clear all or clear per app)

The tile grouping system is already in Windows 8 (with the landscape/portrait transition) which could be adapted to windows phone. nothing new there.

Drop down menus....well what was envisioned here looks like a bad floating desktop taskbar that doesn't belong to the UI. The drop down menu system already implemented could be improved somehow though (since it seems to just take you to a new 'page' where you can scroll through the options). I guess a drawer system might be the best compromise.

Interactive live tiles. Im sorry but you have to think about the real estate of these tiles before you try cramming buttons into them, as well as whether or not they should be showing all the time. Everything looks cluttered and busy and just a big mess the way you have it. I liked how the MS research team implemented it in the video, where the drawer system enlarges the tile. Im just not sure if it should push all the tiles out of the way though as it expands.

Anyone can put together a bunch of ideas that work and make sense but not everyone can put it together cohesively.
    08-26-2014 11:54 PM
92 ... 234