Windows Phone 9 concept - linking1990

Quinn FitzGerald

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
The latest leaks from WP 8.1 points that this could happen. I based my concept upon leaks+Windows 8 stuff+My own ideas.
Windows 8/8.1/etc was based off of Windows Phone. Not the other way around. At least, if I recall correctly.

I know a few people who cannot start Windows 8/8.1 that use Windows Phone. Personally, I like 7 and 8 equally... If only because 8 is more efficient (excluding GPU VRAM).

- About grouping, it's already there in Windows 8, combined with Semantic Zoom, it makes life a lot easier for the user. Instead of scrolling in endless ways, you could achieve what you want way quicker and easier. It's the replacement of folders in other operating systems, which makes me about to throw up when I think of it's idea even!
Also, it's all about options, you can have this, or that. People have different takes and ways of dealing with the OS.
All the stuff you access a lot is on your home screen. If you need to access anything else swipe to the list of all applications and find it fast.

Windows Phone was built from mobile up, please don't throw things from an attempt at putting a mobile UI into a desktop into a mobile UI

More options is not always good, it means there is more to mess up and confuse most consumers. It seems to be an addition that wouldn't do much for many power users, and could confuse a lot of new users.

- Maybe, but in every other OS it's the same, it's supposed to be text heavy as it's a hub that gathers text.
make the notifications hub NOTIFICATIONS. Not weather, not music playing, but notifications. I won't lie when I hate some Android versions of "notifications hub" to be honest, the best one I have found is on a Nook HD+ I got for watching videos on. The iOS notification center also grew to more stuff than needed, and for __ME__ it is a waste of space.

- You don't get the idea of quick apps then, forget about using them while you're in the start page, but think about using them when you're in an app or a game. You could have quick access all the time for the apps you use the most. I think it's a bit limiting having to pin those to the top of the start page, having more options is always welcomed.
My experience using them is that your "quick access apps" are generally the things you use most. It takes just as much time to swipe down charms bar (or other bars) select "quick apps" and than open said app. That is personal, and other people may use them for different things.

My LARGER issue is that it does not seem to make a lot of sense, and takes up UI room, which could be an issue on phones with smaller screens. The design you have seems to be targeting the 5-6" screen size due your use of 6 blocks of small tiles wide. This is something that applies to most of the design changes you made. Such as the notification hub, grouping and buttons on tiles

- It's not that confusing, it's easier to close apps this way. Latest leaks suggests that swiping apps off the multi-tasking menu suspends them, not closes them. I want a normal back button, a one that closes apps. You see, I've used all 3 operating systems, and Windows Phone way of handling the back button is weird, and many don't get it. If you keep pressing the back button you may get back to the start page, but then if you had an app running in the background and you pressed back again, it goes to it. How the hell am I supposed to know what's running in the background all the time? Believe me it's way confusing this way.
Oh. I did not know that. Well, the change makes perfect sense in that case.

- Solid backgrounds, or scrollable ones, or even fixed wallpapers are options.
I still don't like it, but that is personal preference, of course.

Please keep up the good work explaining why you did things, and why you disagree with criticism and such. :)

Abel920 said:
Don't let all these nonsense bother you. I agree that you need criticism, but plain hating because they don't want more features is just stupid. Don't waste your time listening to these people.

You're doing a tremendous job. If they are so smart, I dare them to spend 1000 hours coming up with relatively half as good of a design as you did.
I don't like added features if they can cause confusion to new users or don't fit well with the OS.

I don't think anyone would say he didn't do a tremendous job, because he did. I also doubt I would have though of many of the things I like he did.

People who really dislike this probably do it because they really love Windows Phone, and truly believe many changes he suggests would wreck it.

Last edited:

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
People who really dislike this probably do it because they really love Windows Phone, and truly believe many changes he suggests would wreck it.

They don't love Windows Phone. They love Minimalistic Metro UI. If they loved Windows Phone because it is Windows, they would open-hearted accept Microsoft's hard earned effort for our platform to evolve into a much diverse OS, that's where the difference lies.

Like I mentioned. If I wanted to remain minimalistic UI, then I have to adapt to these changes and "change the settings" to my liking. There is always an "off" button to silence the business and the clutter of these features.

yehuda92

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Also, the main issue with a lot of the changes made here is that while they are based off of w8... w8 is only useful on screens 8 inches and above... most of the new ui elements added here simply will not work on screens that are smaller than 6 inches...

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Windows 8/8.1/etc was based off of Windows Phone. Not the other way around. At least, if I recall correctly.

I know a few people who cannot start Windows 8/8.1 that use Windows Phone. Personally, I like 7 and 8 equally... If only because 8 is more efficient (excluding GPU VRAM).

That's the big issue here, you see, Windows 8 was based upon Windows Phone, but then it surpassed it in A LOT of ways. This closes the gap between the two, makes it less confusing for people that are caught up in Microsoft's Ecosystem.

All the stuff you access a lot is on your home screen. If you need to access anything else swipe to the list of all applications and find it fast.

I have more than 60 tiles pinned to my start screen, many of which are related to the same app category, and also they should be pinned as they display info. I can't get info from my app list. Also, you forgot a big deal, which is many of those tiles aren't found in the app list, as they are pinned from apps (Facebook messages for instance, or a Whatsapp contact, weather for different cities, etc..) Get it now?

]Windows Phone was built from mobile up, please don't throw things from an attempt at putting a mobile UI into a desktop into a mobile UI[/B]

Then you are disagreeing with Microsoft's own vision; you see, I told you I based my concept upon leaks and upcoming things. The vision for them -as far as I know- is to unify the two OS's by 2015, can't see that happening with what's coming alone, they are still far, far away.

More options is not always good, it means there is more to mess up and confuse most consumers. It seems to be an addition that wouldn't do much for many power users, and could confuse a lot of new users.

Maybe, but don't forget that Android is really confusing, but has a marketshare that no OS will ever get. People like options and choices. I've been using Windows Phone since my HD2, and although I still love it, it gets really boring after a while. That's why options are there.

make the notifications hub NOTIFICATIONS. Not weather, not music playing, but notifications. I won't lie when I hate some Android versions of "notifications hub" to be honest, the best one I have found is on a Nook HD+ I got for watching videos on. The iOS notification center also grew to more stuff than needed, and for __ME__ it is a waste of space.

Maybe, but the way I see it, those make the experience more richer, having to find volume settings ( a lot of settings) with the new 8.1 leaks, is not logical. Cause such things should be a part of the interface, not hiding after 3 seconds.

My experience using them is that your "quick access apps" are generally the things you use most. It takes just as much time to swipe down charms bar (or other bars) select "quick apps" and than open said app. That is personal, and other people may use them for different things.

It is faster than leaving the app you're using pressing start, scrolling to the app you need to access (through you're non-organized tiles), pressing on it.

My LARGER issue is that it does not seem to make a lot of sense, and takes up UI room, which could be an issue on phones with smaller screens. The design you have seems to be targeting the 5-6" screen size due your use of 6 blocks of small tiles wide. This is something that applies to most of the design changes you made. Such as the notification hub, grouping and buttons on tiles[/B]

Again, the latest leaks suggest that OEMs can enable 3 columns on smaller screens, I understand that this works best on larger screens, but that's the way technology is heading now, the way I see it, you won't find many devices that are smaller than 4.5" in a year or two.

Please keep up the good work explaining why you did things, and why you disagree with criticism and such. :)

My pleasure :)

Thank you again.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
one and the same no? I dont think I would like windows phone half as much if it worked like android....
There is a fine difference between being an Android copy cat, and having the all the functionalities of what a standard modern smartphone SHOULD AND NEEDS TO BE today, and more. I bet you $100 Microsoft is doing the latter.

All the copying and suing can be left to Samsung and Apple. I'm just glad Microsoft is doing so much hard work to keep up with the standards today.

If it worked like Android, then we may as well think Windows Phone has ceased to exist.

abel920

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Also, the main issue with a lot of the changes made here is that while they are based off of w8... w8 is only useful on screens 8 inches and above... most of the new ui elements added here simply will not work on screens that are smaller than 6 inches...
This is where Threshold comes into place. Remember, even though Win98, Vista were failures, Microsoft always turns around and make everything right the following release (WinXP, Win7) and hopefully Windows 9 can be just the same. Of Apple, Samsung, and Microsoft, Microsoft has the most experience in Software. Software is their nature. And I will have faith that Windows 9 and Windows Phone 9 will slay everyone's lives./

radmanvr

Nov 19, 2013
Visit site
I really like the idea behind the concepts just not the way its implemented.

Like on the sticky, I am guessing that's the action center, the bar at the top. I can see why dialer should be there. I also like the idea of quick apps but why is it implemented that way. The reason I ask this is because I feel the home screen is quick access to apps by having a quick apps sticky at the top bar I feel like you are taking away from what Windows Phone is.

Everything else looks good. Overall, you did a great job on your presentation of ideas 8/10.

Improve the wheel, don't try to reinvent the wheel.

Quinn FitzGerald

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Again, the latest leaks suggest that OEMs can enable 3 columns on smaller screens, I understand that this works best on larger screens, but that's the way technology is heading now, the way I see it, you won't find many devices that are smaller than 4.5" in a year or two.
Doesn't matter. I am assuming this was designed based off of a 6" screen or so.

Physically things like that don't fit well on smaller screens.

It is one of the reasons why I think "quick apps" should be left out. It wastes screen real estate.

There is a lot of stuff in here that involve how much information is on the screen that I would HATE to have to deal with on my 1020 because it seems just barely large enough on the ~6" display that you show the stuff on in. A perfect example is the notifications hub:
So much space is "wasted" (subjective, of course) on music/volume sliders, weather and agenda that I don't think I would be able to see my notifications right away

If you shrink all the UI down, well, it still leaves me having to scroll down if I want to see over 5 applications of notifications.

I think it could easily be fixed by having a "notifications" as the front of that hub, and swiping to the right to see a "current" page talking about music, volume, weather, agenda, etc.

My basic understanding of Metro design language is to give information without scrunching it up.

-Q

EDIT: Personally I have about 40-50 tiles pinned to my home screen at a time, and don't have problems with it. The most used stuff is at the top.

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
In the order you presented, my comments are:

I think images for background look horrendous. My brain was going all cattywompus looking at every picture you posted until the last one. But to each his own I guess...I'd just set it to no picture.
Not too sure about the controls on the tiles. I know many have discussed them, just not sure how I feel.
I already have my apps grouped with headings like you have, so I don't see what you are adding? If it's that it would already be like that and autopopulate, doesn't that defeat the purpose of making it how you want it?

In your notification center, I'm not sure why you need weather and agenda when you have those live tile apps on your start screen. Too much info IMO.

I really like the charms bar thingy except why notifications there? You don't need to access it 2 different ways. And I can't put my finger on it, but something seems like it would be difficult or get messy for the share anything from anywhere option. I really want a quick access to all settings like you have.

Not sure why I need the ability to quickly close every app on the phone or shut down background tasks, so I'm lukewarm on the multi-tasking screen.

Landscape mode, I probably wouldn't use, so I wouldn't care as long as I could lock it to not switch.

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I think images for background look horrendous. My brain was going all cattywompus looking at every picture you posted until the last one. But to each his own I guess...I'd just set it to no picture.

- About the background images, as you said, it's a matter of preference, I think some choices and customization is all what Windows Phone needs.

I already have my apps grouped with headings like you have, so I don't see what you are adding? If it's that it would already be like that and autopopulate, doesn't that defeat the purpose of making it how you want it?

- You have? Then you are using a 3rd party app which writes text on a dark background, and make them tiles that appear to be floating. I've tried those solutions but when you press on the supposedly an empty area, it opens that app. Also, you forgot about Semantiz zoom, which when you pinch out, it minimizes all the groups for quick access (similar to Windows 8).

In your notification center, I'm not sure why you need weather and agenda when you have those live tile apps on your start screen. Too much info IMO.

- Maybe, but then I would argue with you that we don't need a notification center because it's already on the tiles also, you can do this argument for anything in the system.

I really like the charms bar thingy except why notifications there? You don't need to access it 2 different ways. And I can't put my finger on it, but something seems like it would be difficult or get messy for the share anything from anywhere option. I really want a quick access to all settings like you have.

- You do need that, because what you're not getting is that important info should be present for you all the time, you don't have to start jumping around to get to see what you want, you can quickly access your notifications while you're using an app through the charms bar, or do so in the home screen swiping to the left.

Not sure why I need the ability to quickly close every app on the phone or shut down background tasks, so I'm lukewarm on the multi-tasking screen.

- You are not a power user then.

Landscape mode, I probably wouldn't use, so I wouldn't care as long as I could lock it to not switch.

- It's all about choices, it's a little cluttered when you have enabled the rotation, and then some of the apps open up in landscape, and some don't.

M Coffey

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
I am not too sure. I love my current Windows 8 phone because it's simplistic. That's not a bad thing. I don't know if I would like buttons on my tiles like that. A complaint with Android is that things are too small for touch. Thee buttons look too small on a typical size phone. I want to just touch the tile and go from there. Why have buttons on it? Can we turn them off?

Games Goblin

May 26, 2013
Visit site
Good concept - it seems to look a bit busy because of the background pictures - using solid colors and simple patterns (like we have on windows 8 PC) would be better

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I am not too sure. I love my current Windows 8 phone because it's simplistic. That's not a bad thing. I don't know if I would like buttons on my tiles like that. A complaint with Android is that things are too small for touch. Thee buttons look too small on a typical size phone. I want to just touch the tile and go from there. Why have buttons on it? Can we turn them off?

I chose to implement them as they would compliment Microsoft's own vision: get in, get out. They make things much much easier. Just imagine how would that affect your experience using the phone. Instead of pinning a whole load of tiles to get to specific locations of an app, you could do that with one tile. Look at the Facebook tile, they don't have to be rounded circles for the buttons. They could be implemented within the tile design itself.

linking1990

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Good concept - it seems to look a bit busy because of the background pictures - using solid colors and simple patterns (like we have on windows 8 PC) would be better

It's all about choices, my concept has a lot to do with all the leaks that we are getting for how WP 8.1 would be. I made some simple designs, and other busy ones. Having options on your smartphone is what everybody looks for these days.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb