What to expect from windows 10 for phone.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft is a long way from becoming king in a lot of aspects, especially the one being mentioned here, Windows Phone.

No matter how amazing Microsoft's Windows 10 is, they will later have to figure out on how to launch programs similar to Android One to get more marketshare. They'll also have to figure out how to sell their flagships.

But if Windows 10 for mobile is good, they'll have the first part of the puzzle complete.

Blackberry for all intents and purposes is dead for the majority of consumers out there.

First of all, I would like to say no OS is perfect! Its a personal choice, you always say WP should be like Android, why? Just because you like Android, doesn't mean that WP should be like it, or have the same features as Android does. WP 10 is surely going to be a major update like wp8.1. Well lets be patient & then when wp10 is released we'll discuss about those missing features

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
android one is a joke,the oems are of pathetic quality and is actually a downgrade from even a moto e
windows 10 will give the correct push to windows and windows phone to get marketshare
blackberry isnt dead like i said,they can still license out BB10 and QNX and remain alive
BB10 is like the perfected android,literally

You may consider Android One a joke, but is there anything better than Android One devices in the sub $150 range?

And like I said, marketshare isn't that simple to attain but yes I already agreed that if Windows 10 is good they'll have a chance to gain marketshare, but it's not guaranteed.

And as far as BlackBerry goes, you said they "can" still licence out BB10 and QNX, but they "can" they haven't done so yet so for now it's a sinking ship.

The last statement is totally wrong, no one from the experts would say BB10 is better than Android, Windows Phone or iOS.

First of all, I would like to say no OS is perfect! Its a personal choice, you always say WP should be like Android, why? Just because you like Android, doesn't mean that WP should be like it, or have the same features as Android does. WP 10 is surely going to be a major update like wp8.1. Well lets be patient & then when wp10 is released we'll discuss about those missing features

When did I want WP to be like Android?

I'm not talking about a missing feature, I am talking about a missing strategy to target consumers that don't want to spend a whole lot on a smartphone and still get a solid experience.

If a Windows One project, or something like it launched, where cheap Windows Phone came out I'm pretty sure it would boost market share.

I don't want Windows Phone to be like Android, I want it to be successful, which means it needs advice from OSes that are already quite successful.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
You may consider Android One a joke, but is there anything better than Android One devices in the sub $150 range?

And like I said, marketshare isn't that simple to attain but yes I already agreed that if Windows 10 is good they'll have a chance to gain marketshare, but it's not guaranteed.

And as far as BlackBerry goes, you said they "can" still licence out BB10 and QNX, but they "can" they haven't done so yet so for now it's a sinking ship.

The last statement is totally wrong, no one from the experts would say BB10 is better than Android, Windows Phone or iOS.

I'm not talking about a missing feature, I am talking about a missing strategy to target consumers that don't want to spend a whole lot on a smartphone and still get a solid experience.

If a Windows One project, or something like it launched, where cheap Windows Phone came out I'm pretty sure it would boost market share.

I don't want Windows Phone to be like Android, I want it to be successful, which means it needs advice from OSes that are already quite successful.

in short you want another android,no thanks , you can stick to android since you prefer it and we will stick to windows phone
android one is a joke compared to android phones itself
you can get a moto e for the same price,why buy a bad chinese/indian oem phone when you can get a premium moto for the same price

the "experts" you talk about such as Linus sebastian etc are a joke,they dont even review properly
they dont even use the phones most of the time
rather get an opinion from someone who owns/tried all phones/os's ie people like me-consumers
what will this "windows one" even do,we dont have android fragmentation etc
seriously dude give credit where due,critisize where due,dont just follow blindly
nothing is perfect

BB10 beats android at its own game

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
in short you want another android,no thanks , you can stick to android since you prefer it and we will stick to windows phone
android one is a joke compared to android phones itself
you can get a moto e for the same price,why buy a bad chinese/indian oem phone when you can get a premium moto for the same price

the "experts" you talk about such as Linus sebastian etc are a joke,they dont even review properly
they dont even use the phones most of the time
rather get an opinion from someone who owns/tried all phones/os's ie people like me-consumers
what will this "windows one" even do,we dont have android fragmentation etc
seriously dude give credit where due,critisize where due,dont just follow blindly
nothing is perfect

BB10 beats android at its own game

First of all, I accidentally thanked your post.

Anyways read my post again, I don't want "another" Android device, I want Microsoft to adopt a strategy where it partners up with OEMs to provide cheap devices for emerging markets that are available, plus partnering up with Indian OEMs will be beneficial to the economy of developing countries as well, another WIN.

Moto E and G are more expensive than the Android One experience. And Android fragmentation has nothing to do here, Android One devices are guaranteed two years of support.

Moving on, I never mentioned Linus here. Linus is one of the best reviewers out there, you just don't like him because he doesn't like Windows Phone, but he does thoroughly use all of the products he reviews.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site

In other threads even you accepted that companies like spice, Micromax, karbonn come up with cheap/laggy phones, you said they do not form all of the Android but now as they've got Android one, they've become good? These OEMs still make their own phones. I don't see how they've improved just by reducing it at a more cheaper price. What about the quality, they still use pathetic materials in their phone.

As far as reducing Prices of WP goes, MS already told, it'll reduce the prices of phones even further in upcoming markets, once they're launched.

iamakii

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Interesting to see which features between the two will be more dominant in the end - current Win RT or WP. Start screen, for example, between these two are very different.

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
I'd be happy and sold if they:
A) Provide me with the apps i need (also at a price. I am eager to buy from MS. I don't buy from Google)
B) Fix the UI limitations. IF they transplant the Modern UI of Win 8 onto WP with all the fixes required i'll be extremely happy.
C) Provide solid encryption of the whole device out of the box for both internal and external storage
D) Build a solid Office app or let me install good third party ones
E) Improve sharing functions learning from Android.
F) Build a solid Mail app or some third party builds one (Testing Maestro at the moment but it's too early to speak about that).
G) Add proper functionalities for Chinese
H) Find a way to drag devs onto the platform and make quality apps.
I am just waiting to see what they do to migrate completely from Android. In lack of that i'll go back to Android or BB.

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
In other threads even you accepted that companies like spice, Micromax, karbonn come up with cheap/laggy phones, you said they do not form all of the Android but now as they've got Android one, they've become good? These OEMs still make their own phones. I don't see how they've improved just by reducing it at a more cheaper price. What about the quality, they still use pathetic materials in their phone.

As far as reducing Prices of WP goes, MS already told, it'll reduce the prices of phones even further in upcoming markets, once they're launched.

These firms are capable of producing great smart phones but they weren't great before and reflected pretty badly on Android as a whole.

If you impose a certain kind of quality control on them, like Android One did, they can make some great devices.

I want Windows to partner up with OEMs to do the same.

If Microsoft reduces price of their existing devices, i.e. the Nokia ones, they are going to get criticism from other Windows Phone OEMs for setting a standard that others can't meet, another disadvantage.

Microsoft "needs" to get all the help from OEMs it can get.

I'd be happy and sold if they:
A) Provide me with the apps i need (also at a price. I am eager to buy from MS. I don't buy from Google)
B) Fix the UI limitations. IF they transplant the Modern UI of Win 8 onto WP with all the fixes required i'll be extremely happy.
C) Provide solid encryption of the whole device out of the box for both internal and external storage
D) Build a solid Office app or let me install good third party ones
E) Improve sharing functions learning from Android.
F) Build a solid Mail app or some third party builds one (Testing Maestro at the moment but it's too early to speak about that).
G) Add proper functionalities for Chinese
H) Find a way to drag devs onto the platform and make quality apps.
I am just waiting to see what they do to migrate completely from Android. In lack of that i'll go back to Android or BB.

Hey EC I was wondering what benefits out of the box encryptions had and why you want it in Windows Phone?

Because I hear Android is integrating that in Android L as well for added security.

I've never been such a huge security freak so I've never thought about it, but it has aroused some curiosity now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
Hey EC I was wondering what benefits out of the box encryptions had and why you want it in Windows Phone?

Because I hear Android is integrating that in Android L as well for added security.

I am not a security freak but i need security. And when you handle other people's data (My customers and their NDAs) you bear responsibilities for that data. Without going that far though, a few naked pics of your wife in the phone are enough to cause you damages. A few SMS' from your mistress are enough to make you a target for blackmailing (It happens). The idea of losing the phone and having any retard peeping into my mails, data, appointments, deadlines, email accounts, sms', personal chats on any chat program, etc. is not very reassuring.

Android will do it on Android L, to follow Iphone. Bear in mind people are becoming more and more paranoid and even people like you will reach a point where they will be forced to use some sort of security. It's not a matter of IF you will or not. It's just a matter of WHEN you will need security based on your personal situation. My principle is that any device prone to be taken out for work and carried should come with protections. Tablets, hybrids, etc. not just smartphones and not just Windows. Think how many of those are lost in airports and coffee shops only every year. Imagine anyone using your data, going into your Facebook, scrolling your IDs and Credit card data etc.
It's just a matter of time before people start screaming for it. As soon as their interests are damaged directly. You don't see a need unless the situation touches you directly. It's very normal among humans.

psoham777

Aug 23, 2014
Visit site
These firms are capable of producing great smart phones but they weren't great before and reflected pretty badly on Android as a whole.

If you impose a certain kind of quality control on them, like Android One did, they can make some great devices.

If Microsoft reduces price of their existing devices, i.e. the Nokia ones, they are going to get criticism from other Windows Phone OEMs for setting a standard that others can't meet, another disadvantage.

See the problems might be reduced, but still the problems would persist.

Talking about MS, why can't they can reduce prices of Nokia phones? MS already bought Nokia, it's none of the concern of other OEMs whatever MS does with Nokia. Other OEMs are free to price their phones according to their convenience.

pedmar007

Jun 17, 2014
Visit site
After all that's said on this topic all 'm looking for in WP10 to be missing is the flash support!! If after WP10 is released and the ONLY FUNCTION not FUNCTIONS not avl on WP10 is flash support then I'LL take it without issue. TBH the only difference between IOS's functionality and ANDROID is ANDROID'S flash support, and if WP10 can offer consumers an experience to rival IOS not so much ANDROID because there will be those who will still want the flash support where there are apps that utilize flash and WP doesn't. Never did understand why MS built XBMC for Android and MS developed WP OS and couldn't find a way to allow it to be put on WP, but if you then say WP has XBM + XBV to those uneducated why would I pay $.01 for any program on XBV when XBMC has it for free. Another thing why can't MS do like Google and offer features that allow their users to be appreciative and NOT want to leave the OS. Google offers a free MOVIE + TV SHOW app in SHOWBOX and yet MS asks us to pay for a season!! Why doesn't MS develop XBMC to show on WP with its own format I'm sure that would make up for the SHOWBOX vs XBV!!
Things as small as that goes a long way, a co-worker told me had a WP L520, loved the OS but it wasn't as functional as the Android he's currently using as it allowed him to have an app associated directly with his job as he's a pilot and imagine his office functions allowed him to print directly to a wireless printer. I'm not sure if WP has that function as well but from what he's saying it doesn't and imagine that MS is the KING of OFFICE products/features on PCS,TABLETS and believe it or not SMARTPHONES.

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site
First of all, I accidentally thanked your post.

Anyways read my post again, I don't want "another" Android device, I want Microsoft to adopt a strategy where it partners up with OEMs to provide cheap devices for emerging markets that are available, plus partnering up with Indian OEMs will be beneficial to the economy of developing countries as well, another WIN.

Moto E and G are more expensive than the Android One experience. And Android fragmentation has nothing to do here, Android One devices are guaranteed two years of support.

Moving on, I never mentioned Linus here. Linus is one of the best reviewers out there, you just don't like him because he doesn't like Windows Phone, but he does thoroughly use all of the products he reviews.

Linus cant review stuff properly,hes probably paid for it
his pc stuff is fine,other reviews are very very biased

as for android one,today we learn maths!! how to compare an expensive 6.9k moto e to a cheap humble 6.5k and 6.3k android one

Buy Moto E Online at Best Prices In India | Flipkart.com

Buy Spice Android One Dream UNO Mi-498 Online at Best Prices In India | Flipkart.com

Micromax Canvas A1 with Android One (Magnetic Black): Buy Micromax Canvas A1 with Android One (Magnetic Black) Online at Low Price in India - Amazon.in

today we learned that a moto e can be termed expensive but an android one cannot
^sarcasm with proof
they are nearly the same price a $3 difference isnt "expensive"

microsoft doesnt need to compete with android one,fragmentation isnt a problem ios and wp have
android one was created to make cheap(and poor quality :p compared to moto e) phones to battle fragmentation

you obviously havent used a micromax,xiaomi etc product, they are poorly made and not recommended at all
even the price difference isnt much,you get moto phones for nearly the same price(difference of $3)

Karthik Naik

Banned
Jan 17, 2014
Visit site

I've never been such a huge security freak so I've never thought about it, but it has aroused some curiosity now.

android?security? nah i dont think android malware will go that easily
when you have an open source platform with loads of malware about,itll take ages to fix the mess

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Certain apps, no, but what I see is that the normal black background is now blue, which is also the same for the Xbox, and the tiles go from edge to edge instead of the normal space on each side.

That's just a rendering and certainly provides no specific details to what will actually ship for smaller device. That image was solely for the purpose of showing Windows on ever device size.

People need to stop reading into things so much. We're still 8 months away from any W10 release. And Joe specifically stated that the consumer side and ARM details wouldn't be announced/shown until early 2015. They probably don't even know themselves what features will be there. But one thing I for sure, they can't remove features that already exist in Windows RT. But they can change how you interact with them.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
How about some of the housekeeping features people have complained about:
- being able to address the file system (other folder) with a file explorer. Even if it was read only, that would work, initially. Eventually make this addressable ...
- a simple way to selectively delete from SMS, email, etc (that works the same across the OS). Allow me to cleanup the sms without deleting one @ a time - select all, then unselect the messages you want to keep (they stopped short of this). While this s/b simple, it's not there. Make it the same across the OS (SMS, email, etc.). I know this exists to some level in some native applications, but ...
- searchable calendar (backwards & forwards). C'mon this w/b very useful.
- agree with the Action Center expansion. More actionable icons (cellular data ?), allowing 2 (rows) x 4 (or 5) icons.
- and, YES, split screen (landscape ?) for larger phones ...

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
How about some of the housekeeping features people have complained about:
- a simple way to selectively delete from SMS, email, etc (that works the same across the OS). Allow me to cleanup the sms without deleting one @ a time - select all, then unselect the messages you want to keep (they stopped short of this). While this s/b simple, it's not there. Make it the same across the OS (SMS, email, etc.). I know this exists to some level in some native applications, but ...
- searchable calendar (backwards & forwards). C'mon this w/b very useful.

You can already do these things in 8.1/8.1.1

I can select individual or multiple messages and delete and forward them with the "checkbox" on the left just like you can do in the mail app.

You can also search your calendar by hitting the search button, enter your search and swipe to the "phone" tab. It lists any calendar event in the results.

MDK22

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
You can already do these things in 8.1/8.1.1

I can select individual or multiple messages and delete and forward them with the "checkbox" on the left just like you can do in the mail app. Talking about cleanup, select ALL, then clear checkmarks from msgs you want to keep, consistent across ALL native apps

You can also search your calendar by hitting the search button, enter your search and swipe to the "phone" tab. It lists any calendar event in the results It doesn't show historical (old) appointments / events, that's what I'm asking for, then be able to go to that appointment. (past Dr appt.) .

see responses (in RED)

I know this is minor stuff, but very usable.

' ... I ain't asking for much ... ' ZZ Top

Last edited:

salmanahmad

Banned
May 12, 2014
Visit site
I will not argue with you guys on this thread on what the Android One project is made for and defend Android this is because the thread will be closed soon after.

The reason I mentioned Android One was because it was a step Google took to get to the next billion people to smartphones by offering great phones at around $100.

I wanted Microsoft to do the same just to gain marketshare and more support of OEMs.

MDMcAtee

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I want the ability to choose with 10....

Do I want another Android os, no but I want the ability to choose what works for me and the apps that I can run on my device.

Many people don't see the need to be able to have a desktop mode on a mobile phone, but I do provided support is given to make it work seamlessly between the various devices. Wacom pen support, multiple windows is a start. Some programs will be limited to what phone can run them, but with something like the successor to the 1520 there's no reason not to have this available. Then you have the option of docking a phone into a station with a larger screen keyboard and mouse too. As our flagship phones become more powerful each year it's really time Microsoft put this to work for all of us. Cost wise would be great and make chrome books look useless to many. Keep the lower end phones for those not needing this but really make the flagship phones better than anything else available.

I also want other ui changability features for the metro look. I want full transparency of the tile frames, the ability to change the notification center looks and what is shown and the ability to choose what browser and search engine is on my phone. Cortana should be able to see and utilize what browser is available across all devices used and not just be a ie spin off I also would like the ability to use other music and video players besides xbox. There are far more available

I don't think this will happen but it is what I would like to see then there would be no reason to use anything else.

Posted via Windows Phone Central App

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12