Could next Windows 10 Phones be used as a full PC?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
^ Yep! You never know though, that could potentially also meet the OPs requirements, so that could wind up being the best answer ;-)

negative1ne

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
windows 7 ran on phone, with this one from fujitisu
---------
18kzl3377o5rejpg.jpg

it didn't run too well,
-------------------------
Fujitsu to launch Windows 7 phone on July 23rd

F-07C comes standard with a two-year license for Microsoft? Office Personal 2010-an essential business tool-and other basic PC functionality, in addition to convenient mobile phone features such as Osaifu-Keitai. By combining both PC and mobile phone functionality, F-07C opens the door to a range of new uses.

Size: 125 ? 61 ? 19.8 mm (19.8 mm at thickest point)
Weight: 218 g (with battery pack)
Continuous Standby Time: ~600 hours in FOMA 3G
Continuous Talk Time:
~370 minutes in FOMA 3G voice mode
~170 minutes in videophone mode
Display: ~4″ wide SVGA touchscreen (1024 ? 600 resolution)
Camera: (back side) 5.1 megapixel effective resolution, CMOS sensor
(inside) 0.32 megapixel effective resolution, CMOS sensor (0.17 megapixel in Windows? 7 mode)
Color: Navy Black
OS: Windows? 7 Home Premium 32 bit Full Version (with SP1)
CPU: Intel? Atom™ Z600 processor (supports HT technology) (1.20GHz)
Main memory: Comes standard with 1GB/max 1GB (LPDDR400)
SSD: ~32 GB (eMMC)
Wireless LAN: IEEE802.11b/g/n (communications speed: up to 65Mbps)
Windows? 7 battery life: ~2 hours(6) in Windows? 7 mode

i'm sure they could do better with windows 10

later

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
i'm sure they could do better with windows 10

Yeah, that device didn't run well. It was also twice as heavy and twice as thick as other "phones", and barely lasted hours when running Windows software.
Today we could surely do better, but it would still get shredded in the media and by the market.

Windows desktop (even the Windows 10 desktop) will never meet people's expectations, because desktop software was never designed to run on resource constrained devices. It's the software that's the biggest issue, not the OS! If you're not a developer, it's likely hard to imagine how different such software is and how profound the consequences of those differences are. No matter how efficient the underlying OS is, such Frankendows devices will always offer a very poor user experience compared to devices who's apps are controlled/restricted by running on specifically designed mobile OSes. More efficient hardware will eventually make Frankendows devices tolerable, but people's expectations in terms of battery life, stability and responsiveness on phones will still be shaped by their experiences using WP, iOS and Android, which Windows desktop has no hope of ever matching. It's technically possible, but due to expectations it won't ever be something a sufficient part of the market finds appealing, particularly after most of the software that is commonly used is available for both desktop and mobile OSes.

Last edited:

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I already do! With remote desktop apps... since 8.1 and the MS remote desktop app it's been a total dream how it's implemented. I use it more than ever because it works so well.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Well if you want to your phone like a PC, just use something like remote desktop, splashtop etc.

Besides why would you want to carry everything in your pocket?
I can understand the convenience but the risks simply do not out weigh that convenience.

What would happen say if you lost it or it was stolen?
You would loose way more than just photos, videos and messages.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Well if you want to your phone like a PC, just use something like remote desktop, splashtop etc.

Besides why would you want to carry everything in your pocket?
I can understand the convenience but the risks simply do not out weigh that convenience.

What would happen say if you lost it or it was stolen?
You would loose way more than just photos, videos and messages.

I don't think you get it. Who said anything about carrying everything around? Plus, with OneDrive, no one would "carry everything around" as it's all in their OneDrive account.

For many people, a smartphone provides all the functionality they need from a computer. So if you can dock a phone to use certain apps like Office, or a web browser in a more desktop like experience (more efficient) than that would completely eliminate the need for them to spend more money on a small laptop or desktop.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't think you get it. Who said anything about carrying everything around? Plus, with OneDrive, no one would "carry everything around" as it's all in their OneDrive account.

For many people, a smartphone provides all the functionality they need from a computer. So if you can dock a phone to use certain apps like Office, or a web browser in a more desktop like experience (more efficient) than that would completely eliminate the need for them to spend more money on a small laptop or desktop.

I'm afraid your wrong, there are people who carry everything around with them, not everyone utilizes cloud storage simply because not everyone has unlimited mobile data just like people who rarely back anything up because they feel it is time consuming. I have worked with many people who have carried confidential documents on their iphones just because it was convenient and have been victim to snatch & grabs.They not only lost their family pictures / videos but confidential information of clients portfolios, so if a phone was to become a person's sole computing device then the information stored it will increase more than ten-fold.

To have everything in the cloud (everything in their "onedrive account") is simply not feasible as:
a)not every country or person as complete blanket coverage for mobile internet access
b)not everyone has unlimited internet
c)not everyone has high speed internet bit it mobile or landline

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm afraid your wrong, there are people who carry everything around with them, not everyone utilizes cloud storage simply because not everyone has unlimited mobile data just like people who rarely back anything up because they feel it is time consuming. I have worked with many people who have carried confidential documents on their iphones just because it was convenient and have been victim to snatch & grabs.They not only lost their family pictures / videos but confidential information of clients portfolios, so if a phone was to become a person's sole computing device then the information stored it will increase more than ten-fold.

To have everything in the cloud (everything in their "onedrive account") is simply not feasible as:
a)not every country or person as complete blanket coverage for mobile internet access
b)not everyone has unlimited internet
c)not everyone has high speed internet bit it mobile or landline

I didn't say no one carries everything around. Again, I don't think you get it.

Your comment was asking the OP why they would carry everything around? Hence using their phone as a PC.

My reply to you was that they don't need to "carry everything around" to use their phone as a primary PC, or any PC for that matter.

Rellik66

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why a phone as a PC shouldn't be possible, now if MS can implement it in smart manner, that would be pretty cool. Windows RT has shown it's possible, Windows 10 could take it further.

First thing would be to have a Desktop app that requires a Miracast display at minimum, (if any WPhone ever has a physical display port, that could work too.) if no Bluetooth keyboard/mouse present, the then phone display acts as a trackpad with a virtual keyboard toggle

Next are universal apps, this will be very important, as the app will need to be smart enough scale from small phone display all the way to a desktop experience with multiple windows. Take the calculator app for example, it needs to know when to stretch into a full display vs. when to be a small window aka the classic windows calculator. Same goes for MS Office.

Which brings me to Continuum. Continuum would play a huge role if done right. Imagine an NFC sticker that you tap your phone on and boom, instant desktop. It launches the desktop app and automatically connects to its assigned Miracast display and Bluetooth keyboard/mouse/audio and gives a desktop experience.

It's already been said that legacy x86 apps can't be run, but if universal apps are done right, then it may not be a problem, especially if all you want to do is surf the web, catch up on some news and edit a few Word documents, just don't expect to install Steam or anything.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Your comment was asking the OP why they would carry everything around? Hence using their phone as a PC.

My reply to you was that they don't need to "carry everything around" to use their phone as a primary PC, or any PC for that matter.

When I said "carry everything around", it was a figure of speech and also meant literally (therefore covering both bases - speaking from past experience) - you simply can't assume everyone will store everything in their Onedrive Account. It is like saying everyone backs up all their devices regularly and has multiple fail safe back ups + off site back ups, we all know that is not true.

Plus, with OneDrive, no one would "carry everything around" as it's all in their OneDrive account.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss