(Optimistic Surface Phone Theory) Could it be possible that Lumia is for low/mid range and Surface i

satrus08

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
A Surface branded phone or any high end phone with a a built in stylus that works on the SP3 and phone would be too good to be true. Just the sense to brand their phones Surface instead of Lumia shows their marketing failure in itself. It's proven time and time again that no one cares about Lumia. I've never heard anyone reference WP as a Lumia. I'd never call my phone a Lumia. People know them as WP or 920 or 1520. Lumia could be omitted forever and no one would care. It just doesn't resonate with the world, not just from my perspective, but everyone I know too.

Microsoft just doesn't have the talent or marketing capability to make something that awesome, not even in name.

Then we should make this thread explode with popularity so that Microsoft can see it! :)

andy1009

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Whatever Microsoft Employee is reading this, please make this known at MS HQ; we all want a premium Surface-esque Windows Phone! We love our windows phones but a daily driver needs to feel and look premium so that it turns heads!! Come on MS, step up your game with your new mobile department! You need to bust into this market Richter 7 style

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Yes, I agree however they should keep the Lumia name for the low to mid range plastic phones that sell well outside of the US. However having said that I think they really, really would benefit from branding their flagship Windows 10 phones with the Surface name. If you wanna sell premium smartphones build them to look and feel premium. Like I said above in another reply: the iPhone 6+ feels and looks superior to the Lumia 1520 because the average consumer associates the perception of quality with sturdy metals and glass and cheapness with plastics.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
If it looks like what you guys are describing, and if it has x86 and runs real Windows and has USB, SDcard and video output slots I will buy one. Basically a Surface Pro 3 on a smaller scale with LTE radios and "phone" app on the start screen.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Interesting... I'm not sure yet if Microsoft has any plans to make true x86 available on W10 smartphones, as for a full sized USB 3.0 port I don't know if that would be very practical or feasible from an engineering standpoint on a thin 5-6" screen Surface phone. Not to mention it would be dirt, dust and water damage hazard on a phone that gets around more than a tablet or laptop.

I'd offer 2 color options to start (black VaporMg and silver VaporMg)
1 RAM size to start: 3GB
1 Screen size to start (5.6") 1440 pixel resolution
Two SSD size options: 64 GB and 128 GB (both with Micro SD expansion)
One Processor Option: Snapdragon 810
AVAILABLE ON ALL MAJOR CARRIERS

The product line depth would have to be small at launch to minimize risk and minimize the production costs. If a Surface phone caught on they could in the future possibly offer more options. But I would be alot more confident in a Surface phone's ability to catch on than any Lumia.

mcherrick68

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
IDK guys, I would argue that the 930/Icon is about as close to resembling a surface phone as can be. Maybe not exactly a surface phone, and certainly not branded as such, but the angular lines mixed with the metal chassis feel very surface-y to me

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
IDK guys, I would argue that the 930/Icon is about as close to resembling a surface phone as can be. Maybe not exactly a surface phone, and certainly not branded as such, but the angular lines mixed with the metal chassis feel very surface-y to me
Well as an Icon owner I gotta disagree, there's no doubt that the Icon/930 is one solidly built piece of hardware but at the time it was engineered Nokia was still its own company separate from Microsoft. From the plastic to the slightly bulging back (for the Qi) the Icon doesn't scream "Surface" to me. I'd picture a Surface phone to be solid, smooth, brushed VaporMG in either Silver or Black with a subtle Windows logo on the back. It definitely would have to be a solid VaporMg to truly deserve the "Surface" moniker IMHO.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The images the other day of a new front panel display looked very Surface like. Of course they could have been complete fakes, but I like the idea.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
The images the other day of a new front panel display looked very Surface like. Of course they could have been complete fakes, but I like the idea.
Fingers crossed, they need a headline grabbing flagship phone to launch the new Windows 10 OS with. The combination of the Surface Mini scrapping and the lack of a Lumia flagship at least leaves the hopes of a Surface phone alive.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I think keeping the two names separate is better though. A Surface is a tablet, a Lumia is a phone. The minute you cross that with a Surface phone you create confusion. Something MS does not need more of right now.

I think the main reason we see no flagship right now is they are saving it for Windows 10 where they can really cater the hardware to the latest and greatest features of the OS.

I'm due for a new phone and would love to have a new one now, but I'm more than happy to wait for a W10 flagship.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I think keeping the two names separate is better though. A Surface is a tablet, a Lumia is a phone. The minute you cross that with a Surface phone you create confusion. Something MS does not need more of right now.

I think the main reason we see no flagship right now is they are saving it for Windows 10 where they can really cater the hardware to the latest and greatest features of the OS.

I'm due for a new phone and would love to have a new one now, but I'm more than happy to wait for a W10 flagship.
I'd have to disagree with the confusion part as not only Apple but all the major Android OEM's name their flagship phones and tablets the same. For example Samsung tablets have the Galaxy name and Sony tablets use the Xperia name. Alot of customers like familiarity which means casual iPhone users are likely to buy an iPad and casual Galaxy users are likely to buy a Galaxy tablet. What Microsoft is doing makes less sense, hence the reason they're the only ones using the separated naming scheme model. A casual SP3 user who isn't a Windows enthusiast isn't going to associate Lumia with their tablet, that's just the reality. Hence the reason so many Surface owners don't adopt into Microsoft's product mix and remain on iOS or Android despite having decided to buy a Surface product. A Surface flagship phone would better be able to ride the momentum created by the SP3. The Surface name already has some credibility in enterprise, "Lumia" just doesn't.

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Microsoft needs Lumia to take on the developing markets and compete solely with low-mid range Androids and older iPhones. We need Surface to fight for ground in enterprise and the flagship dominated US market. I already am starting to see many SP3's around my college campus, and hear students debating about whether to get a Macbook or Surface Pro. Not only is Surface already been established as a solid premium hardware brand but it's already capturing mindshare among educated young adults. As compared to my "Lumia Icon" people often ask me "what type of Android is that?" My Surface Pro 3 on the other hand never gets mistaken for anything else, especially when im using the keyboard. We need a Surface phone in the US, the Lumia line just hasn't shown any sign of being able to establish itself the way the SP3 is.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'd have to disagree with the confusion part as not only Apple but all the major Android OEM's name their flagship phones and tablets the same. For example Samsung tablets have the Galaxy name and Sony tablets use the Xperia name. Alot of customers like familiarity which means casual iPhone users are likely to buy an iPad and casual Galaxy users are likely to buy a Galaxy tablet. What Microsoft is doing makes less sense, hence the reason they're the only ones using the separated naming scheme model. A casual SP3 user who isn't a Windows enthusiast isn't going to associate Lumia with their tablet, that's just the reality. Hence the reason so many Surface owners don't adopt into Microsoft's product mix and remain on iOS or Android despite having decided to buy a Surface product. A Surface flagship phone would better be able to ride the momentum created by the SP3. The Surface name already has some credibility in enterprise, "Lumia" just doesn't.

iPhone and iPad are not the same name. They just use the same naming convention.

And I would not use Samsung or any Android OEM as a model for naming products. Samsung alone has horrible names for all their products. With arbitrary numbering and sequence methods. The Galaxy phone is the only one that that has established a recognizable and standard naming convention.

At least Lumias have a mostly logical versioning method.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
iPhone and iPad are not the same name. They just use the same naming convention.

And I would not use Samsung or any Android OEM as a model for naming products. Samsung alone has horrible names for all their products. With arbitrary numbering and sequence methods. The Galaxy phone is the only one that that has established a recognizable and standard naming convention.

What ever the names are.......they sell more than lumias. So it has to work....apparently!

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
What ever the names are.......they sell more than lumias. So it has to work....apparently!

The name is not what sells those phones. It's apps, Android, cost, availability, and carriers pushing them like hotcakes.

I bet your average Android owner has no idea what the name of their phone is. Most non-hardcore users I've met have no idea.

Loco5150

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Something like this wouldnt help sales at all. Most likely it would only confuse average people more, if that's even possible, because WP brand knowledge is very low compared to Samsung and iPhone.

Last edited:

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site

That is the same, the lower case i before a product name is Apple's trademark. Apple used the massive amount of momentum generated by the iPod, to name and launch the iPhone (to huge success), then again used the lower case i to brand the iPad (again with much success). Its such a good product identifier that they even use it for their services and apps, iTunes, iMessage and iCloud. There's no confusion anything with the lower case i is now instantly associated with Apple.

Not only does Samsung employ this tactic with Galaxy, but Google has done the same with "Nexus" phones and tablets, the proof is in the pudding, Apple and Android customers aren't in any way confused by names. If anyone is confused about anything it's about all these different Microsoft brand names, and yes I bet 9/10 Galaxy owners would know exactly what model of phone they have. Pardon the clich? but less really is more sometimes.

Last edited:

Trill Gates

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
The name is not what sells those phones. It's apps, Android, cost, availability, and carriers pushing them like hotcakes.

I bet your average Android owner has no idea what the name of their phone is. Most non-hardcore users I've met have no idea.
So many people have the apps issue backwards, apps do NOT come before users. Apple and Android have so many Apps flying into their stores because they have so many people leaving actual stores with iPhones and Android devices. We cannot convince devs to come to WP with the promise of future users. It just doesn't work that way.
Availability, that's on Microsoft.
Carriers pushing other phones. Well if I was a salesman working on commission I'd too be selling the brand spanking new iPhone and Android phones, Microsoft isn't giving the flagship US market anything to compete with the newest iPhones and Androids.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05