07-25-2015 10:14 PM
127 1234 ...
tools
    The problem is that you are not thinking about the majority of people. Most people (anyone that is not a geek) is not aware of how to kill background tasks on the phone, so it is very understandable that Microsoft put this limit to save not only battery but also to ensure that the phone does not start to bog down the way android does. If a developer wants it's app to run in the background that he/she has to program that in. That is a good compromise. Without this WP would not have seen even the moderate success that is has had with low end phones, which continue to run well no matter how long you use them for (again unlike android, and I'm guessing, unlike Symbian)
    12-06-2014 12:06 PM
    The problem is that you are not thinking about the majority of people. Most people (anyone that is not a geek) is not aware of how to kill background tasks on the phone, so it is very understandable that Microsoft put this limit to save not only battery but also to ensure that the phone does not start to bog down the way android does. If a developer wants it's app to run in the background that he/she has to program that in. That is a good compromise. Without this WP would not have seen even the moderate success that is has had with low end phones, which continue to run well no matter how long you use them for (again unlike android, and I'm guessing, unlike Symbian)
    It's not the solution as we have already seen. On Android bugs in wakelock handling (which is a terrible idea) makes the phone never go to sleep. Windows provided background tasks something I think i unnecessary as it can be solved by the normal application process. Windows Phone also limits the background process so that it cannot steal too much battery life which is also something I might not want (I might want my program to calculate something very important while the screen is off). In the end it will be the user and the programmer that must decide how the program should behave and not the operating system limitation.

Also, background tasks makes the portability between desktop and mobile more clunky. In normal Windows there are no background tasks as such and they are not needed. So this is not helping unifying mobile and desktop programs.
    12-06-2014 12:19 PM
    Making things odd than the usual accepted way is sometimes good, but this time MS got it wrong 👎!
    Let me have full control of my phone: It is not much to ask! Following or coping Iphone restrictions strategies won't help MS outside US soil.

It's actually asking quite a lot, and is a foolish desire. The regression will not take place, ever, because the functionality you seek is quite possible under the current model. The best course of action you can take is to submit bug reports to developers if their app doesn't resume instantaneously. Post to the user feedback that you wish MS would fine tune the resuming process to make it easier on the developers in WP10, and continues to add exceptions for specific tasks (they have been doing this with every major release, actually).
    a5cent likes this.
    12-06-2014 12:21 PM
    Post to the user feedback that you wish MS would fine tune the resuming process to make it easier on the developers in WP10, and continues to add exceptions for specific tasks (they have been doing this with every major release, actually).
    i wonder why my Xbox music has a resuming screen!! Can't they fine tune their own apps!!

/s
    12-08-2014 03:51 PM
    i wonder why my Xbox music has a resuming screen!! Can't they fine tune their own apps!!

/s
    No, they want you to suffer!

/s
    12-08-2014 10:24 PM
    Which OS had true multitasking in your eyes? And I mean mobile OS.
    Blackberry's
    12-08-2014 10:33 PM
    Blackberry's
    You've got me there.
    12-09-2014 03:28 AM
    Mobile operating systems with full multitasking: BB10, Symbian, Meego, Jolla, Windows Mobile
    Uknown (fill in if you know): Tizen, webOS
    12-09-2014 04:17 AM
    Mobile operating systems with full multitasking: BB10, Symbian, Meego, Jolla, Windows Mobile
    Uknown (fill in if you know): Tizen, webOS
    I guess you could classify as TouchWiz(Android) has an OS with real multitasking as we'll.
    12-09-2014 04:54 AM
    Blackberry's
    And not to forget Nokia's Symbian & MeeGo Harmattan OSs!
    12-10-2014 07:01 AM
    People don't seem to understand what true multitasking is here. True multitasking is that the application continues to run despite it has been minimized (This is not the definition though, but a special case for mobile OSes) and you are working on another program. Right now for example I listen to a youtube clip and I want to continue to do that while I'm working in another program, it isn't possible. This is possible in by default in Symbian, BB10 and even Windows Mobile!!. I'm a bit surprised that Microsoft went this path with totally suspend applications with their long experience with this. They seems to have copied Apple a little bit too much but for a business phone, true multitasking is a requirement.

They should enable true multitasking for their applications and totally suspend an application should not be a requirement. Android has a middle way, that screen off will suspend all applications but sometimes even that isn't enough. The problem with this is if the browser is running and some heavy flash ad is running eating your battery despite your screen is off, how should you prevent that? Well, one solution is that you can enable/disable this functionality on application basis and you are responsible for this yourself. Another possible solution is that you limit the time a program can run in screen off mode.

I wish they made Windows Phone more like desktop windows regarding this. Also that they update the contents of the applications in task switcher screen just like on your taskbar in desktop Windows
    Yeah.. And all end devices would be REALLY left behind. That's ok right?
    12-10-2014 07:16 AM
    Yeah.. And all end devices would be REALLY left behind. That's ok right?
    Symbian runs on devices we would really consider to be low end. It is a myth that multitasking slows down your phone. A properly designed program waits for an event a vast majority of the time.
    portalfocus and vlad0 like this.
    12-10-2014 01:04 PM
    Symbian runs on devices we would really consider to be low end. It is a myth that multitasking slows down your phone. A properly designed program waits for an event a vast majority of the time.
    That was the case back then. Not now with the current tech/costs.
    12-11-2014 09:22 AM
    That was the case back then. Not now with the current tech/costs.
    Could you elaborate why? Shouldn't modern HW make multitasking a better experience (more speed, memory)
    12-11-2014 01:53 PM
    Could you elaborate why? Shouldn't modern HW make multitasking a better experience (more speed, memory)
    Modern apps are also heavier than back then.
    12-11-2014 02:30 PM
    You do realise that it was done to save power. I think it's a more efficient way of power management to pause the apps where they are when pushed to the background. I am okay with it. A second of delay can be tolerated for that "resuming" screen.
    Have you used a Symbian smartphone? Despite the real time multitasking it provides great battery life.
    12-12-2014 06:47 PM
    Blackberry's
    Yes, anything running on QNX has proper multitasking. Qnx and EKA2 (Symbian) are very similar in that regard.

The 'modern' environment on windows is way too aggressive.. even if you have core i7 with 8gb ram it will still close/suspend apps for no reason.. or, there might be a reason bit then the whole model is flawed since Symbian has shown that if you have efficient enough code you can multitask on 512ram and ARM11 without a problem.
    12-12-2014 06:52 PM

/s
    I know that was sarcasm but I'd like to take this opportunity to elaborate.

Xbox music flashes the "resuming" screen momentarily while loading, and only rarely (once a week perhaps) does the app bug out and is left resuming for any longer. When the multitasking is working flawlessly, which is most of the time, it is a pleasurable and seamless experience, but as I said, we can always hope that microsoft improves it even more in 10.

For those of you under the illusion that iOS doesn't do this as well: iOS shows you a snapshot image of where you left off in the app while the app is resuming. It tricks you into thinking the app is there, but it's just not responsive for a second. The app is not there, the loading time is not any faster. You're looking at a picture of the app, and it creates the illusion of faster loading times. Microsoft chose to not take that approach and use a resuming screen instead (perhaps because apps often don't resume to the same exact page).
    12-13-2014 12:08 PM
    Microsoft chose to not take that approach and use a resuming screen instead (perhaps because apps often don't resume to the same exact page).
    And the apps not resuming to exactly where you left off is OK because... why exactly? I've always found that really irritating.
    Evronian likes this.
    12-14-2014 05:23 PM
    True multitasking is needed in MS WP 10! Heck!
    02-07-2015 12:07 AM
    Pluses for true multitasking is no resuming screens, possibility for having 2 apps running on same screen, improved useability and experience I guess.

Negatives is bigger battery drain and some lagging depending on the apps.

Personally I think they should just make it an option for the end users whether to suspend apps or not when put in background. Some may prefer the current way since it is less painful on the battery, but others with larger and stronger phones with bigger batteries will prefer true multitasking.
    So it all depends on how you want to use it. My 2
    02-07-2015 12:28 AM
    we need this sure, for example, i want to type something written on a paper but its night time where there is no light, i switch on the touch application, the moment i open another application to type , the touch switches off, i have to memorize every thing or do the toggle.
    here we have prepaid lines where one has to buy small airtime cards/vouchers which you have to scratch to reveal a 16 digit number that have to be typed. if you are in an area where there in no other source of light you are forced to toggle.
    02-07-2015 12:53 AM
    Be any type of multitasking at least give background downloads in some efficient way so that developers don't have to code their app for background downloads separately.
    02-07-2015 01:00 AM
    And the apps not resuming to exactly where you left off is OK because... why exactly? I've always found that really irritating.
    The answer is context.

If a user starts an app that they had used just a few minutes ago, the user likely still remembers where they were. Because of that, there's a reasonable likelihood that either 1) they've gone back to the app to continue doing earlier work/reading/playing or 2) they can easily back get back into the context of the app to easily back out (i.e., their internal "back stack" is still in their memory).

If a user starts an app that they haven't used in several hours or days, they probably aren't continuing earlier work and likely don't recall the context of their last use. In that case, ignoring the history might make the most sense. How long a time gap the developer uses to determine if "this is continuation" vs "this is new launch" is up to the developer. (I use 10 minutes in one app that has a lot of detailed, layered content pages. I use forever is another app that doesn't have any depth to it.)
    02-07-2015 06:52 AM
    All of these calls for "true" multitasking and options to enable/disable it seem unlikely to be answered. You're all describing computers; the market appears to want appliances (i.e., complex devices, well enough designed to appear simple). The market of us posting here skews toward the more technical, but the larger market isn't and they just want something that works.

When people ask me for advise on phones, I ask them if they are already locked into an ecosystem (Apple, Google, Microsoft) and if they want to be simple users of their phones or masters of their phones. I generally advise staying within any current ecosystem (because I don't want to be their conversation support service!) and that "masters" get Android while "users" go with iOS or Windows.
    02-07-2015 06:59 AM
127 1234 ...