05-14-2015 08:28 PM
79 1234
tools
    Can we develop a Yearning Metric?
    Great idea--lets measure it in yearnals!
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-24-2014 05:25 PM
    Not going to say bad things about any of the mobile OS's. I decided I would live with both and have two mid-range phones instead of one super high end phone.(820/Moto G lte). I like my situation alot and enjoy using both. But my 820 is my main phone and will remain that way until 10 comes out and something REALLY BETTER comes with it. I use WP8.1 and ANdroid both every day and find very little difference between them. I also believe the adverage person could care in the least the difference between the two. If you are here (on the forum) you probably know a little more than most phone users. Microsoft just got off to a late start and they are making some mistakes even now. But I believe in the end they will get about 15% of the market and Apple will slide to about 11% which leaves Android at 74%. But most people won't care one way or another. Android is king and will remain that way because they cover the low and high end. Apple will remain strong; but not in market share, no low end. Microsoft will slowly get better, get some of the low end and some of the middle and a little of the high end, much like Android. But Android is so entrenched they will remain number one. So why is Windows my main phone and not my Android phone. Because I like it better and it suits my needs just fine. But it sure is nice to have both. Don't understand why more people don't do the same.
    xandros9 and prasath1234 like this.
    11-24-2014 06:47 PM
    People don't accept that they are suffering, every thread you read someone is whining about an android app feature lacking in their WP app, others still want to defend but at times give up and throw the ****, windows phone lags behind android & IOS in terms of colors ,animation and features, if only Microsoft can just add abit of color and animation, transition wise we are fine. Our apps are garbage compared to android & IOS apps, I don't know where the problem comes from but am a little convinced that its got to do alot with app APIs that are still missing, windows phone is a half baked OS and that can all be evidenced in native apps like Xbox music,video,games and the photos(videos too)app, new features that we got and boast about have been on android,Symbian and IOS since their first release, it can also be shown with how Microsoft played with the OS kernel and left millions of wp7 users with a half baked OS and even WP 8.1 is still a toothless child.
    To me, am only waiting for wp10 and that's where am expecting everything I have been yearning to see on WP, let me hope wp10 won't be just a name change, am expecting everything thing to change with windows 10, if things stay the same, my Lumia will have to excuse me and meet a new owner.
    I'm not suffering or delusional like some.
    11-24-2014 08:09 PM
    Is the grass always greener on the other side?
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-24-2014 09:33 PM
    They had roughly 6-8 months between announcing and today. They announced it at Google I/O. And then it got held back because of bugs that crash phones.
    Good! They left the Android OS in a good version before heading that little long time to Android L.
    In the case of MS, the only major update is 8.1. Others are just not so necessary as they add little or nothing; just bug fixes.
    Now check the time frame between MS major update and the expected Windows Phone 10 and you will see that 1 year and three months of MS' Windows Phone 10 (it may be greater than that) is greater than 6-8 months of Android L release time. Heck!
    11-24-2014 10:54 PM
    By what metric is WP10 late????
    xandros9 and arifdanials like this.
    11-25-2014 03:27 AM
    I agree with you that w10 is a long wait, but it will probably be a bigger update than android L. Also you have to realize that the merging of the two or three OS's and teams behind them consumes time, they have to think twice as hard about little features because they have to work across all devices. That is a lot harder to design. Buuuuut once they get there! That is a threshold indeed. Once there is one oiled machine behind this single OS that we will call w10, and they can focus on just one OS instead of 3 (w, w rt, wp) development will go a lot faster. I truly believe we will get firmware updates without carrier involvement with w10. Development can speed up incredibly compared to Apple and Google because they have to develop separate OS's, Microsoft just one as of w10. It is a long wait, they work towards this for at least 5 years now. We are just seeing the tip of the iceberg where everything comes together.

As for things like the data toggle, I think it is not the technical difficulty that is holding them back. It is easy to make a switch. I think they worry more about the effects. What happens when people start turning it on and off 20 times a day trying to save data? Maybe it has a negative effect because after each time it is turned on there is a lot of synchronization initiated. People might end up using more data and battery. We don't know about all the programming behind that simple toggle.
    11-25-2014 04:24 AM
    Good! They left the Android OS in a good version before heading that little long time to Android L.
    In the case of MS, the only major update is 8.1. Others are just not so necessary as they add little or nothing; just bug fixes.
    Now check the time frame between MS major update and the expected Windows Phone 10 and you will see that 1 year and three months of MS' Windows Phone 10 (it may be greater than that) is greater than 6-8 months of Android L release time. Heck!
    It is definitely a longer time frame than the 6-8 months you are quoting, but they are also doing a heck of a lot more work as well. They are effectively creating 1 experience across mobile, desktop and tablet which Android certainly has not done so why are you complaining about time? More work tends to mean more hours to complete, no? Jeeze people complain about everything these days.
    11-25-2014 06:04 PM
    Fully committed my digital life to MS services. Lumia 920 w/ DP, OneDrive, Office Home, Outlook as primary email (the alias feature is a god send), DVP8 running Win 10, VS 2013 Pro, and a Dev Center account. Plans for an Xbox One are on my list.
    Nakia Johnson1 likes this.
    11-25-2014 11:13 PM
    If you think update 1 is just bug fixes, you haven't been paying attention.
    11-27-2014 10:23 AM
    If you think update 1 is just bug fixes, you haven't been paying attention.
    Really? You could have just talked about the live folder at once! I doubt, if anyone actually has any use for it, since it is not that awesome as expected!
    11-27-2014 01:19 PM
    Thank God you said "expected", not done yet!
    Moreover, Did you see the speed with which Android planned and executed Android L, so that they won't be taking by surprise by MS through Modern UI?
    May be you just don't want to understand what delay has done to Nokia and is capable of doing to MS!
    You can't make these kinds of threads on a Windows forum. These fanboys make iSheep look good ;)

Totally agree with you, Microsoft is slow when it comes to supporting their mobile phone platform. Would love to be able to put an app in the background and have it continue to upload, e.g OneDrive, Whatsapp, etc.

I am waiting for W10 before my next phone purchase. Can easily see myself with an Xperia Z4 / Z5.. While I'm at it I'll buy a PS4, and have all my machines running Linux. Yeah, that will show them!! Okay, Okay.. They could certainly care less, however at this point in time my only motivation for staying in Microsoft services is Office.

Need more than Halo and Minecraft to keep me in the Windoze pen Micro$haft
    11-27-2014 01:58 PM
    Really? You could have just talked about the live folder at once! I doubt, if anyone actually has any use for it, since it is not that awesome as expected!
    New language and region support for Cortana, VPN and Bluetooth changes, IE changes, Windows Store changes, better application sandboxing options, SMS forwarding for multiple messages, support for interactive cases such as the dot case, and support for the QuickCharge 2.0 standard all come with update 1. Don't even have to talk about live tiles, I could talk about any of that.
    11-28-2014 09:00 AM
    You can't make these kinds of threads on a Windows forum. These fanboys make iSheep look good ;)

Totally agree with you, Microsoft is slow when it comes to supporting their mobile phone platform. Would love to be able to put an app in the background and have it continue to upload, e.g OneDrive, Whatsapp, etc.

I am waiting for W10 before my next phone purchase. Can easily see myself with an Xperia Z4 / Z5.. While I'm at it I'll buy a PS4, and have all my machines running Linux. Yeah, that will show them!! Okay, Okay.. They could certainly care less, however at this point in time my only motivation for staying in Microsoft services is Office.

Need more than Halo and Minecraft to keep me in the Windoze pen Micro$haft
    Windoze? Micro$haft? You even put blatantly wrong information when you say that OneDrive can't upload in there background. Mine does all the time, it's how I upload my pictures.
    11-28-2014 09:02 AM
    Windoze? Micro$haft? You even put blatantly wrong information when you say that OneDrive can't upload in there background. Mine does all the time, it's how I upload my pictures.
    Satiric misspelling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    windoze2000.jpg
    Photos and Videos work great, try PDFs and other documents ..
    Heck, try doing anything in the background with other Windows Phone apps in the store .. Multitasking in WP8.1 is better than 8, but still an overwhelming disappointment.

Need app in foreground to send a message in Whatsapp, GroupMe, Telegram, etc. Cannot press send and send to background. Same goes with unzip, torrenting, remote desktop, you name it!

Now Microsoft is releasing apps with hamburger icons. Looking less and less like Metro/ZuneHD and more like a poor mans Android alternative.

PS: I can afford a new device Microsoft. Are you trying to shun your customers towards Android or iOS?
    11-28-2014 03:37 PM
    Satiric misspelling - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windoze2000.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	89325
    Photos and Videos work great, try PDFs and other documents ..
    Heck, try doing anything in the background with other Windows Phone apps in the store .. Multitasking in WP8.1 is better than 8, but still an overwhelming disappointment.

Need app in foreground to send a message in Whatsapp, GroupMe, Telegram, etc. Cannot press send and send to background. Same goes with unzip, torrenting, remote desktop, you name it!

Now Microsoft is releasing apps with hamburger icons. Looking less and less like Metro/ZuneHD and more like a poor mans Android alternative.

PS: I can afford a new device Microsoft. Are you trying to shun your customers towards Android or iOS?
    Try being funny next time. Also, just tested with a roughly 5mb PDF. It uploaded while I was reading MacRumors. Stop much for that. I've also played a game and went back and forth with stringy the internet. Sometimes it needed the resume thing, but nothing more than my Galaxy Nexus or Nexus 7 did. Less, actually.

I don't torrent or unzip files on my phone. I message with the messaging app or Facebook. But figuring the fact that you were caught spreading lies with the OneDrive thing, I don't know if I believe you.

As for the hamburger menu, they're trying to make things easier to discover for new people. Being unique is great unless your idea isn't as good.
    11-29-2014 08:33 AM
    Where will I go leaving Microsoft??? Microsoft will not let you go with their Windows OS, Office, Xbox.
    11-29-2014 09:02 AM
    I have a bunch of live folders on my start screen. I prefer it to having all my apps pinned and having to scroll too much. It's there for those who need it.
    Point is Microsoft needs to make every feature imaginable that any person would have a use for.

They really should have announced windows 10 before Christmas not after. This way maybe it would at least convince some people to wait instead of buying a new phone now. I'm actually on the verge of wanting a new phone and there's none for Windows so yah... haha. And i'm debating whether I should pass up some good sales. I do like windows 8.1.1 and it can only get better but will developers bite. And Windows 10 will more than likely be the one that will either bring developers on board because of them seeing a future in it, or they see the same rehash and decide the investment is not worth it. Windows 8.1 actually did bring a bunch of developers on board as they saw that Windows does seem to be maturing more and biting early is always best. And Windows 10 has to show that it is good enough that users will want to buy it. Not only that but whatever hardware is released along with it. If you release an OS just for the same old boring nokia phones then it won't really get you much.
    11-29-2014 12:26 PM
    Win10 is NOT late. Its following the desktop timeline and that is usually somewhere around 2 years between major releases.
    It just so happens that WP does NOT follow the desktop timeline. By consolidating al the OS's together they made it follow the desktop timeline. Since WP was out of sync, the timeframe between its releases seems long. If they want the entirety of win10 to be as one, then it all has to follow the same timeline, and the desktop one is the best since that is pretty much where everything happens. WP feels late because it was late to the party, its needing to catch up in feature parity (which it more or less has accomplished now)and anytime you have to synchronize 2 unsynchronized things one has to give up time for the other and that leaves a gap. Unfortunately MS doesn't seem to want to fill that gap with anything that could at least hold the interest or keep the doom and gloom to a minimal. I just don't see them doing anything at this point until win10 is ready which is a ways away.
    stenson625 likes this.
    12-01-2014 11:19 PM
    Win10 is NOT late. Its following the desktop timeline and that is usually somewhere around 2 years between major releases.
    It just so happens that WP does NOT follow the desktop timeline. By consolidating al the OS's together they made it follow the desktop timeline. Since WP was out of sync, the timeframe between its releases seems long. If they want the entirety of win10 to be as one, then it all has to follow the same timeline, and the desktop one is the best since that is pretty much where everything happens. WP feels late because it was late to the party, its needing to catch up in feature parity (which it more or less has accomplished now)and anytime you have to synchronize 2 unsynchronized things one has to give up time for the other and that leaves a gap. Unfortunately MS doesn't seem to want to fill that gap with anything that could at least hold the interest or keep the doom and gloom to a minimal. I just don't see them doing anything at this point until win10 is ready which is a ways away.
    Windows 10 is late, Windows Phone 8 was late, Windows Phone 7 was late, Windows Mobile 6.5 was late...
    Hoping Windows 10 will be the end of this nonsense, Lumia 1030 w/ W10 will be the true Nokia 808 successor, and all will be good ;)
    12-01-2014 11:30 PM
    As of this week, I've had it with MS. I love the direction their UI's are going in. I've got multiple Surfaces, PCs, servers, hyper-v machines, Xbox, hosted Exchange, Office, Windows Phone, keyboards, mice, webcams etc. I went all-in on the ecosystem to try and ensure a consistent experience. But I'm done now.
    The inability to fix the phone music app and the constant deals/offers/promotions/discounts/release dates that are US-only has finished me. I'll get Christmas out the way then the whole lot's going. Never want to see another MS product in my house again.
    12-01-2014 11:31 PM
    As of this week, I've had it with MS. I love the direction their UI's are going in. I've got multiple Surfaces, PCs, servers, hyper-v machines, Xbox, hosted Exchange, Office, Windows Phone, keyboards, mice, webcams etc. I went all-in on the ecosystem to try and ensure a consistent experience. But I'm done now.
    The inability to fix the phone music app and the constant deals/offers/promotions/discounts/release dates that are US-only has finished me. I'll get Christmas out the way then the whole lot's going. Never want to see another MS product in my house again.
    Webcams, keyboards, mice? lol

Good luck .. Sorry you have to trash your peripherals, must be Microsoft branded lol
    12-01-2014 11:42 PM
    Some solid four-yearnal posts here!
    12-01-2014 11:42 PM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windoze2000.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	28.4 KB 
ID:	89325
    I don't know about Win2k but a similar "metric" could have been produced for Win95 and it was bogus. That's a count of the "issues" reported by beta testers that were deemed "don't fix" or "postpone", not a count of actual bugs in the OS. It could be anything from a complaint about icons in the OS to a particular program that no longer worked due to bugs in the app or to an actual bug in the OS. I remember working on one such "bug" in Win95 where Cyrix (sp?) CPUs pushed a NULL DWORD on the stack when it restarted an instruction following a page fault (misaligned push of a DWORD on the stack that crossed a page boundary and the lower page wasn't present). I marked the report as "won't fix" but it still appears in the database and ignorant journalists include it in the "63,000 bugs" in the OS.

You never see blaring headlines or cute Web memes about the outright bugs in existing third party software that were covered up by AppHacks (aka Application Compatibility Flags) and other OS tricks. One popular program in the Win95 time had an uninitialized local variable whose location just happened to be zeroed out on the stack by a previous call to the CreateWindow API in Win31. When CreateWindow's internal code was changed between Win3.1 and Win95, that location on the stack was no longer zeroed out (IIRC, it was set to the value of the BP register) and it was used for the requested font height in a subsequent CreateFont API call. The bug report was that Win95's font code was "broken". I "fixed" this Win95 bug by adding code to CreateWindow to explicitly zero that location on the stack.

Are there bugs in the Windows OS code? Yep. Are there 63,000 bugs ... not a chance.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-02-2014 12:12 AM
    Windows 10 is late, Windows Phone 8 was late, Windows Phone 7 was late, Windows Mobile 6.5 was late...
    Hoping Windows 10 will be the end of this nonsense, Lumia 1030 w/ W10 will be the true Nokia 808 successor, and all will be good ;)
    How?

Webcams, keyboards, mice? lol

Good luck .. Sorry you have to trash your peripherals, must be Microsoft branded lol
    Oh, right, you're pushing Linux. Makes sense that you would spread misinformation.
    12-02-2014 01:37 PM
79 1234