Windows Phone 10 UI

Akssingh

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Idk... It could be done by swiping from the edge of the bezel to bring the action center and swiping through the os could be done by going a little bit towards the center rather than the edge...just like how the drop down action center works....

This thing is only OK with vertical swiping because the phone has a bigger screen vertically no horizontally.

winrayjay99

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
How ever windows 10 looks we know the UI will be some form of metro. Microsoft has always had metro since the I'll fated Zune music player. Microsoft has given up on a lot of things. But there design style will not be one of them.

ReconVirus

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
How ever windows 10 looks we know the UI will be some form of metro. Microsoft has always had metro since the I'll fated Zune music player. Microsoft has given up on a lot of things. But there design style will not be one of them.

They actually been slowly moving away from it.

lovenokia

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
If by changes, you mean catching up with competitors yes..
we got life folders - WOW..
we got a actioncenter - WOOOOW..
we got a data toggle - dude, you're kidding me right?

I dont think the UI should be different. I mean it should change the way ios7 and LP did. Add more soft colors like in Android, add this MixView sh*t, add more and fluid animation, change the icons, add more function to these useless Live Tiles (yes they are useless). So much stuff can be done yet staying with the roots of Metro and typografy.

And to those that continue to blow the trumpet all the way around, saying that ios and LP copied Windows Phone with the flatterend design, well at least they managed to made it look beautiful and warm. This metro thing looks ok on paper, on underground signs and so on, but on digital this isnt the case. Apple and Google realized that, and made it right. FLAT != METRO, know your facts. Apple and Google are flat, meaning no skeumorphism and gradients, while using warm colors and informative iconst. Microsoft is Metro, which is infographic oriented design and fonts. The last gets boring quickly, because it is no fun, meaning consumers get bored. Static grid of icons is still functional and fun when it is made right. Microsoft should differentiate with Tiles, but make them more FUN and user friendly, by adding tons of feautures (some of them i just mentioned). iOS and Android are successful, not only because of the apps and the ecosystem, but because Apple knows it needs to bring the sex-factor in their products. Google is starting to realize this too. Only Microsoft is wood. People love what they see at first glance, then come the functional features. Yes, you want the job done with your device, but that is not what attracts consumers. They want animations, tweaks and awesome UI. WP UI is functional and business, and thats why its a niche and noone buys it (and thats why noone wants to write apps for it), while iOS and Lollipop (recently) are sexy and successful.

Conclusion: Stay with tiles and typography, but overhaul the whole UI from the scratch with the cool factor.

I am WP user.

I completely agree with yo here. The windows phone UI needs to be overhauled but still keep the principles of metro. Android and IOS are just more appealing at first glance, and windows phone needs a lot more color in the UI, and less black. The option to have lots of black should always be there, but as an option and not tue default.

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
To anyone at Microsoft that might be reading this thread:

Have your team grab a 1520/930/830/925, tie one arm behind your back. Place phone in free hand, now use any app that utilizes the cheeseburger/search button at the top instead of the appbar at the bottom. Now do it while walking casually or navigating pedestrian traffic. Comfortably, securely, and without dropping the phone, flip hands if you wish. If the whole team can do it without looking like a fumbling ***** then carry on (the 925/830 people might not have that much of an issue if they have freaky long fingers), otherwise THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

You are forgetting the core tenant of UI accessibility (written by your very own MS team), it should be able to be used by anyone (almost). Think about a one armed person, or a person with a disability that prevents them from using both hands... Do not sacrifice form, function and ease for the sake of lazy programming. I know the soft nav keys are popular but WP at least offers the ability to hide the nav bar to regain screen space...

I am just getting annoyed by some apps (OneDrive, Spotify, Cortana to name a few) that insist on using this crappy design when the WP OS flows and works so much better and faster when it is not used....

I think it stems a bit from the porting of an app and not bothering to adjust the UI to the platform...

NOTE: I am ok with these style menus on a desktop or laptop that uses keyboard/mouse, but when it comes to a "one-handed" touch based interface its just not practical. Heck the most popular Android launchers utilize features to give you access to almost everything from your thumb which mostly rests in the lower right corner (or left if your a lefty, surprise Appbar!)....

/endrant

jailman

May 14, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft will definitely stick to their standards , although me honestly wish they would make a UI similar to windows mobile

MysticForce

Oct 8, 2014
Visit site
No it's not. Just because iOS and Android have wallpapers doesn't means it has to be in WP too. In this concept, the background wallpaper makes the tiles looks like mere static icons like in symbian or android. I seriously hope MSFT won't put a wallpaper for the start screen. :(

I guess we will always have a choice :) you could still use old style as on 8.0. That sounds logical to me. We will see.

wpcontinue

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
I actually like the UI the way it is. If I get bored I just reposition and resize my Live Tiles and change my start screen background. Personally I don't like Android or iPhone's UI. Most tasks take extra steps that Windows Phone doesn't require and Live Tiles on Windows Phone is much better than anything the competition has anyway.

Can you please name these extra steps that WP doesn't require over the competition?

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Best concept for Windows Phone 10 that I've seen: This Windows 10 for Phones concept leaves us wanting more - Neowin

No one wants Microsoft to ditch live tiles, we love them...but the feel & look of the layout is dated and stale. I personally love this concept. Everything makes sense.
sqow3a.jpg

KllR007

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
yeah you right... This one concept its great and perfect in any way... Wish someday will be looking like this - Keep simplicity of WP and evolution of live tiles...

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
I actually like the concept and some ideas flow well, as long as it keeps parity with the bigger screen devices.

Start Screen:
If its a panorama I don't mind that much but would prefer it to just stay the way it is. I honestly prefer current start screen, one swipe between app list and tiles. Search button in nav bar to search, no need for a pivot. Files should be managed by an app. I feel like I would be constantly swiping the start screen just like Android, which frankly was getting annoying after using it for 3 years.

As for the search, I think the implementation of the soft/capacitive key for search should work as they show in the screens, and a long press or double tap of the windows key activates cortana and its GLOBAL search.

Swipe from bottom/status bar at bottom:
I would prefer this over the top down (maybe), but capacitive keys would pose a problem but I think it can work well. Leave status icons at the top and have them fade away like in 8.0 swiping from the top should just bring back the status icons or make it an option personally options work best in this case, maybe even make it an option to select where you want the notification center to be top or bottom...?

Swipe from left for settings in apps:
While nice would break the panorama/pivot feel with the color strip. The app bar does this already, no need to re-invent something that works perfect and is tucked away with a transparency layer. SCRAP this one. What if you are a left handed person, this would be a bit awkward wouldn't it?

Backgrounds:
I don't care for them and personally love the black on accent color, I don't mind giving the option though and support it as a toggle just like transparent tiles now. However, I would wish for MORE ACCENT COLORS, maybe a pallet wheel or something, or an ability to add more accent colors from a pallet wheel.

Overall, some good ideas and some bad ones. The store app feels more like an android app store or something personally I like the current store and have no issues with it. Open, press search button find install, panorama otherwise for info and it works. wouldn't change it.

This is all my opinion and seems like more and more people just want to clone what Android/iOS is doing because its familiar rather than is this how WP should flow.

Zacharyw70

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Personally I really love the design/implementation that this developer did for his Windows Phone 8.1/9 Concept.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRVC4BKWaP8

I think it features a lot of really nice features and design elements and it brings a lot of the swipe gestures used in Windows 8 PC's to Windows Phone. I'd like Windows Phone 10 to turn out like this, but I'm afraid the final product isn't going to turn out to be anything as ambitious as this.

Gerad Eilering

Apr 20, 2015
Visit site
Windows phone 10 for my 'Archos 70b Xenon' need, because OS Android KitKat 4.4.2 have little memory (less 350mb archos-apps ask more) and can not rewrite files/apps on the sd-card 32 GB. More big install games.

Abraham Cacay

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Help me I cannot upgrade my windows 8.1 to 10. I followed all the steps and suggestions and am met the requirements but it still not working. I am from the Philippines.
I am using nokia lumia 820... Thank you😊

Paul Deutsch

Jul 26, 2015
Visit site
I installed today's current build of Windows 10 for phone on my Nokia Lumia 1020. I bought this cell phone for the camera. Windows 10 still does not support RAW files from the camera. Nor does it allow me to read .TTF files with Word or anything else it has in the store. Unless Microsoft can fill in these gaps with working programs, I'm going to have to go back to Windows 8.1 and stay there. I'm disappointed in Microsoft's efforts so far.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I installed today's current build of Windows 10 for phone on my Nokia Lumia 1020. I bought this cell phone for the camera. Windows 10 still does not support RAW files from the camera. Nor does it allow me to read .TTF files with Word or anything else it has in the store. Unless Microsoft can fill in these gaps with working programs, I'm going to have to go back to Windows 8.1 and stay there. I'm disappointed in Microsoft's efforts so far.

Install the original lumia camera app and you'll get RAW back. That's what I did

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb