Joe Belfiore leaks the first images of windows phone 10

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
It shows a hamburger menu.
Seeing a hamburger button and then pointing fingers at it is a bit superficial. That is not, nor has it ever been, a problem. It's just a button, like a million other buttons used throughout many metro based user interfaces. That is irrelevant. What matters is what the hamburger button is used for!

If that hamburger button in a WP app replaces the ellipsis menu, then it's in conflict with metro. If it contains menu entries that are traditionally elsewhere, like "settings", then it's in conflict with metro. If the button is used for navigational purposes (as was the case in the criticized OneDrive app), then it's also in conflict with metro.

What a button looks like is so incredibly irrelevant (and superficial), that's simply not what any UI design language (like metro) is about.

anon5997296

May 16, 2013
Visit site
What a button looks like is so incredibly irrelevant (and superficial), that's simply not what any UI design language (like metro) is about.

'If that hamburger button in a WP app replaces the ellipsis menu, then it's in conflict with metro. If it contains menu entries that are traditionally elsewhere, like "settings", then it's in conflict with metro. If the button is used for navigational purposes (as was the case in the criticized OneDrive app), then it's also in conflict with metro.' Agree with this.
Can you please tell me what other things a hamburger button can do?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Can you please tell me what other things a hamburger button can do?

Anything. A hamburger button can burp your country's national anthem if that's what the developer wants it to do. Tapatalk also uses a hamburger button (edit: although I wish it was positioned on the right), in a way that doesn't seem at odds with metro's design language. It is used to switch between different areas of the application, like forums, messages, subscriptions, people, and half a dozen other things. That would be a pain to do in a hub or pivot.

Last edited:

tapehead

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Well, like I said before. If Microsoft changes the phone's UI to match that of the Surface and of the desktop Windows 8 (or, in this case, Windows 10), I will be gone. I had to help fix a problem on my friend's PC and his Surface last night (printing and sound problems), as well as help my mother with her laptop, and I for one completely hate the design. It's unintuitive, and quite frankly, it's ugly. Very ugly in fact. That sleek subway-map design language from WP7 and WP8 is what drew me to the phone, Nokia's products and the snappy response of the UI kept me on board. If Microsoft wants to go in this direction, they'll lose me as a customer.

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
It was just a picture they used to help the demonstration. It wasn't even a functioning phone. I wouldn't get too excited.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Joe Belfiore should have been sacked already with the Zune fiasco and he shouldn't be allowed to continue his career at Microsoft. Especially he should be allowed to infest a successful product with a failed product.

But the problem with the Zune was timing & marketing, nothing to do with the product itself. The product itself was actually considered to be quite good but too late to the game. You can't pin that on Joe Belfiore.

several potatos

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
But the problem with the Zune was timing & marketing, nothing to do with the product itself. The product itself was actually considered to be quite good but too late to the game. You can't pin that on Joe Belfiore.

I loved my Zune. It was indeed too late, but it was superior to the iPod of the time.

AluminiumRims

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Well, like I said before. If Microsoft changes the phone's UI to match that of the Surface and of the desktop Windows 8 (or, in this case, Windows 10), I will be gone. I had to help fix a problem on my friend's PC and his Surface last night (printing and sound problems), as well as help my mother with her laptop, and I for one completely hate the design. It's unintuitive, and quite frankly, it's ugly. Very ugly in fact. That sleek subway-map design language from WP7 and WP8 is what drew me to the phone, Nokia's products and the snappy response of the UI kept me on board. If Microsoft wants to go in this direction, they'll lose me as a customer.

I'm not sure what you mean by UI to match the surface and the desktop will drive you away. We all know that desktop is a bit different but the UI of surface is almost the same as WP. I'm a bit lost here so it is possible for you give us some examples with pictures?

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I dont like where windows is going. Now i cant even cut and paste where i want. I allready hate that i WP8 i cant copy any text that i am reading in apps.

Nicholas Maguire

May 28, 2014
Visit site
I dont like where windows is going. Now i cant even cut and paste where i want. I allready hate that i WP8 i cant copy any text that i am reading in apps.
The not being able to cut and paste is something they'll fix. That's just the crossing of metro and desktop not complete.

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
You are right. But, you couldn't put Cortana menu in an app bar cause that's where the search bar of Cortana is so I can understand a hamburger in Cortana. But I don't see a point of hamburger in OneNote.

Then you haven't used it on WP. The UI is pretty, but not all that good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss