Windows Phone competing platform support (Rumor)

Jonnie LasVegas

May 15, 2014
Visit site
It would be great to be able to use (More) apps on windows phone. No matter if they are android or not.
I agree. I used to hate this idea and would actually let it upset me. Then I realized how stupid it is to get that worked up over such small things in life. Now I'd prefer it so we can get and use the latest apps, with the latest updates.

It's better than living with beta apps or relying on 3rd party apps.

S640

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
This just occurred to me... the user experience on anything but flagship Android phones is generally very poor. Even moderate hardware struggles with the inefficient Android OS, especially vs. WP where a highly optimized OS has allowed phones with comparatively poor hardware specs to work smoothly. Combine this with the news from just a few days ago that the overwhelming share of WP devices are low-memory devices. I'd hate to see just how miserable the experience would be for users on something like a 635 or similar running WP 10 AND an Android emulator so they could use apps designed to run on Android.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
This just occurred to me... the user experience on anything but flagship Android phones is generally very poor. Even moderate hardware struggles with the inefficient Android OS, especially vs. WP where a highly optimized OS has allowed phones with comparatively poor hardware specs to work smoothly. Combine this with the news from just a few days ago that the overwhelming share of WP devices are low-memory devices. I'd hate to see just how miserable the experience would be for users on something like a 635 or similar running WP 10 AND an Android emulator so they could use apps designed to run on Android.
I agree.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Maybe hardcore Windows users wouldn't like having Android Support - but wouldn't this remove one pain point for potential buyers? You get the simplicity of the Windows OS and all of your Android apps get to come along for the ride.

Sure you can say "well, people would just go for an Android phone" - but isn't that just a glass half-empty way of looking at it?

Or that's just being blissfully unaware. Again why would I want a phone that runs android apps and likely not as smoothly as an actual device. I may as well just get the real thing. Which I don't want.

Microsoft may as well just go ahead and concede mobile. I do wonder what the excuses will be then when android apps

A. Still barely help market share
B. Kills native development.

Next you will hear them killing tiles to bring back icons ala windows mobile.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
After reading this thread, i realized

Their are too many Android haters here and they hate Android more than they love WP.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
It's a small company, you can't expect a big market share. The brand was destroyed by the previous management, they're just stabilizing the company. Under these circumstances, 1.5 million units is an amazing achievement compared with the 9 million Lumia units that Microsoft shipped the last quarter.
Selling 1.5 million units vs 9 million(not even including the OTHER windows phones) is an amazing achievement. Okay then.
I suppose because HTC is smaller than Samsung we should praise the lower selling over the higher selling.

FRom the people who use blackberry 10, they actually hate android apps and will be moving to iPhones soon. I've used bluestacks on windows...its awful.

The android thing might have helped blackberry when it first came out but it seriously isn't a reason why it still sells now. And praising 1.5 million over 9 million is just...no.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Do you thinking any developer will continue write native apps if the systems from MS get android support?
gEtApATaLkEd
rudyhuyn comments on Microsoft hones its plans to try to close the app gap

After reading this thread, i realized

Their are too many Android haters here and they hate Android more than they love WP.

If I wanted an android phone, I would have bought one. Plus, I DON'T like android, is there any law against that as long as I don't go around trolling android users? This is a WP forum so yes, I am for everything WP and against everything else, without being abusive. Absolutely nothing wrong with that, IMO.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
It has become apparent that until Windows phone is taken seriously by majority of the tech/journo-sphere, companies & sales reps this irksome rumor will never die. :grincry:

sati01

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Selling 1.5 million units vs 9 million(not even including the OTHER windows phones) is an amazing achievement. Okay then.
I suppose because HTC is smaller than Samsung we should praise the lower selling over the higher selling.

FRom the people who use blackberry 10, they actually hate android apps and will be moving to iPhones soon. I've used bluestacks on windows...its awful.

The android thing might have helped blackberry when it first came out but it seriously isn't a reason why it still sells now. And praising 1.5 million over 9 million is just...no.

The OTHER windows phones sales are like 10 units, maybe 20.
Android apps run well in 10.3.1, the implementation of the Android runtime is constantly improving with each new version of the OS.

Microsoft is almost 100 times bigger than BlackBerry. Microsoft has an excellent set of services to offer with their devices, they dominate the PC market. It's surprising that they can only sell 9 million units per quarter. Compared to BlackBerry, Microsoft is performing awfully, Nadella should be fired.

A mix of native apps for the most popular services, plus thousand of niche Android apps to fill the gaps, would be the perfect solution for WP users.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
That's probably just rumor but if it does happen, it won't happen until Win X hits the ground. And even if it does support android apps, as long as it supports it well and continues to support Windows Phone apps well, it becomes all about the hardware its running on. That's when it gets serious.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I really thought you had a point and were going somewhere but

"COmpared to blackberry, Microsoft is performing awfully, Nadella should be fired."

Comparing a company who has literally eroded all their marketshare just about, Barely sells any phones as it is, do they even make a profit...to a company that is setting record profits? Their Mobile area is not the best but it isn't dropping monumentally....as people are buying Lumias(Just not high end).

Okay then.

Not to mention, Nadella hasn't even been in charge for a YEAR and his first year has mainly been fixing issues that were there during Ballmer's era. But he should be fired despite the great changes he has made in other areas of Microsoft since being CEO this year?

Makes so much sense. /S
I can't
The OTHER windows phones sales are like 10 units, maybe 20.
Android apps run well in 10.3.1, the implementation of the Android runtime is constantly improving with each new version of the OS.

Microsoft is almost 100 times bigger than BlackBerry. Microsoft has an excellent set of services to offer with their devices, they dominate the PC market. It's surprising that they can only sell 9 million units per quarter. Compared to BlackBerry, Microsoft is performing awfully, Nadella should be fired.

A mix of native apps for the most popular services, plus thousand of niche Android apps to fill the gaps, would be the perfect solution for WP users.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I really don't understand the controversy.

From the article earlier today: "In the meantime, Microsoft is sticking with Plan A, the Universal app program..."

It's obvious that the only way that they would put Android apps on Windows is if they literally had to. They want people to build Windows apps, but if they can't get developers to do that, then what are they suppose to do?

I mean, really, Armchair CEOs, tell me what would you do if no matter what you did, developers wouldn't write Windows apps?

Personally, I'm pretty sure they won't need a Plan B, since Plan A will probably work out.

jlzimmerman

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I like these two quotes from the Verge article comments:

?There?s also a risk of developers giving up on Microsoft?s ?Metro? apps entirely, settling for the easier option of app porting over building something entirely new."
Exactly. Why bother building a native Windows Phone app when you can build for Android, port it to WP, and have a massively bigger audience?

I agree. This is exactly why OS/2 failed. Why develop for OS/2 if you can develop for windows and the programs work perfectly on OS/2?
Spot on.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
*Sits in Armchair CEO*

First of all, I'd start showing more confidence within my own OS and ecosystem by showing either Priority by releasing the apps FIRST....and not make my users wait for months or even a year or so for the same app OR i'd release them all at the same time or within the same time frame with feature parity.

Secondly, i'd realize that I have a great gold mine of a feature like Xbox Live and stop making it so difficult for those who WANT to actually develop for my platform and bring games to my users who want things like achievements.

Thirdly, I would not wait an entire year before releasing a phone.....if necessary, I'd simply release a mildly upgraded Lumia 1525 for Carriers like T-Mobile, Sprint and Verizon OR Bring the Icon to the other carriers. Or even bring high end stuff to Canada....If I see people are clamoring, I am not going to expect my users to wait a year because that's a risk that could very well blow up in my face.

Fourth, I'd stop releasing Low end after Low end device with little to no differentiation between the two. If I was going to bring out a 535 later...then why even waste time with a 530. Just make the actual 630-635 the 530 and bring out the 535 as the 630/635.

Instead, let's confuse users....and if rumors pan out, let's confuse em even more by adding MORE options like a Lumia 430.

OR hey...let's release a phone like the 830 but price it too high for what it offers and gimp it on the FFC but let's throw that amazing FFC into the 730/735 and yet gimp it on the back camera. Why not simply merge the two into the perfect Mid range/selfie phone...there's little differentiation between the two.

Fifth, I'd realize that while my marketshare is not high and at times slipping, that perhaps annoying my loyal users by degrading the experience(I.e. Xbox Music) and then saying wait till Windows 10 is not the way to go about retaining loyalty.

Or releasing that despite breaking things like Hubs from the OS, it actually hasn't really helped the APPgate that much. I'd realize that simply following trends and trying to be like Google/Android is not the way to go about it because I am only alienating my userbase by ignoring their wants....They don't want yet another low end or midrange. They want a Lumia flagship...

I'd realize that I need to stop following trends because the thing about trends is...THEY CHANGE instantly....and I'd adapt to trends while using them to my advantage and making my experience unique. With all the money that Microsoft throws around, enter into a contractual agreement with these developers or get Rudy to actually make the apps. If they don't want to make it, then at least try and pay them for access. You may not be able to do it for every app but do it for the big apps...6snap(Snapchat), 6sec(Vine), 6tag(Instagram/FB), 6tin(Tinder). Pay them for access if they don't want to do it themselves.

Sixth, market my devices.......and actually showcase them and make creative ads....not some random commercial. More Commercials like the Lumia 1020 commercials.

That's 6 things I'd do :) And Luckily for me, I actually do have a very tiny voice within Microsoft and I use it daily :D
I really don't understand the controversy.

From the article earlier today: "In the meantime, Microsoft is sticking with Plan A, the Universal app program..."

It's obvious that the only way that they would put Android apps on Windows is if they literally had to. They want people to build Windows apps, but if they can't get developers to do that, then what are they suppose to do?

I mean, really, Armchair CEOs, tell me what would you do if no matter what you did, developers wouldn't write Windows apps?

Personally, I'm pretty sure they won't need a Plan B, since Plan A will probably work out.

sati01

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
I really thought you had a point and were going somewhere but

"COmpared to blackberry, Microsoft is performing awfully, Nadella should be fired."

Comparing a company who has literally eroded all their marketshare just about, Barely sells any phones as it is, do they even make a profit...to a company that is setting record profits? Their Mobile area is not the best but it isn't dropping monumentally....as people are buying Lumias(Just not high end).

Okay then.

Not to mention, Nadella hasn't even been in charge for a YEAR and his first year has mainly been fixing issues that were there during Ballmer's era. But he should be fired despite the great changes he has made in other areas of Microsoft since being CEO this year?

Makes so much sense. /S
I can't

It's an hyperbole, I'm not suggesting that Microsoft should really fire Nadella.

The point is, Stating that Android apps are a bad idea because BlackBerry's market share is low is nonsense, because BlackBerry is doing relatively better than Microsoft taking into account the circumstances, the size of both companies, the budget and the complementary assets.

WP is underperforming, I don't think sales can be lower than this.

iXesh

Banned
Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I don't think it is gonna happen,
After that, if its going to happen then MS did think something better,
May be it would be like the desktop version of 8.1
We will have our own store as well as we can install apk like exe,
And that would be good!
And if MS has decided to remove their own store and put play store as a default, that would be a bad idea.
Cause MS is not a Cell phone company its an OS developer.
But the apps are really killing,
Although low end phone doesn't have stability on phone,
App can crash any time after minimizing

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)