Windows Phone competing platform support (Rumor)

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
First, this is just a rumor on a slow news day. Any time you see unnamed sources, people should treat it with a boulder of salt. Second, if it was to be true, how does that make WP less desirable? Are people really that masochistic? It wouldn't affect the apps you use nor the WP UI - it would just fill gaps that keep some new users from the platform. Third, the article on ZDNet discusses Windows 10 and makes the unfounded assumption that the Windows 10 rumor would address apps on WP (or whatever they choose as the final name). As it would require an emulator, it takes a leap to assume this would address apps on your phone. In this case, you end up with a classic rumor scenario. Totally unsupported rumor becomes a fact for some people who then speculate about the ramifications for how will impact something else. Fourth, even if something like this was to happen, it is beyond silly to assume it would provide access to all Android apps. That would require an agreement with Google which is not happening. As for the prospect of side loading, Microsoft locks you out of anything akin to that for their own stuff. Do people really think they will now allow it for third party? The point here is, if it was ever to happen, they would either make a deal with Amazon; or would be buying (or directly supporting) AMI's and/or Bluestacks’ emulators; or designing their own.

As to the implied or stated position of many around here that the app gap is irrelevant, I will just a few examples of such irrelevancies:

1) If I want to control my d-link smart plugs or do anything beyond minimal functionality for my d-link camera, I need to use the Bluestacks emulator on my SP3 since the only app for Windows or WP is a "lite" version which offers only minimal camera controls and nothing else.
2) If I want to access my Southwest Airlines account (or several other airlines), I either need to use the mobile web page (which sucks) or use the Bluestacks emulator.
3) If I want to access USBank or Capital One or Barclay (the American credit card provider) or Toyota Financial Services or my Time Warner account or my local El Paso electric utility or State Farm or AAA or Blue Cross Blue Shield, or a stable Hertz Car Rental interface - just a few examples - I need to use a web page. Alternatively, I can use the Android emulator.
4) If I want quick access to my IRS account, the apps only exist on other platforms.
5) If I want to use HBOGO or watch something on Time Warner while on the road I need to use Bluestacks since no apps exist and you can't access via the web page.
6) If I want to listen to Pandora on anything other than my phone, I need to use the webpage since there is no Windows app (the third party ones are a joke).
7) If I want to numerous collections of regulatory guidance for environmental compliance in the US, I need to use various web pages from an array of agencies rather than the aggregated materials available through Android and ios apps.
8) If I want to access Federal Business Opportunities I need to use the web page since the apps only exist for other platforms.
9) If I want to use something on a mobile device other than the bad joke that is Photoshop Express, the choices are Android, ios, or nothing.
10) If I want to use any number of programs that will let me view a project location on a USGS quad map (on the fly) the only options are apps on other platforms.
11) If I wanted remote timesheet access for my previous employer I needed to use a clumsy ActiveX burdened web page. This page was also broken every time IE was fixed/updated. This is a consideration in the present tense as I evaluate remote timesheet access options for my current employer since the only apps are for the other platforms. As our people are often remote this does matter.
12) If I want send and receive texts when not on my phone, I need to login to my VZW account online since there is no Windows app.
13) If I want to use Nikon's wireless utility for my D7100, the apps only exist on the other platforms.

I could continue but the point should be clear. It is neither reasonable nor rational to assume that Microsoft is going throw money around and suddenly make all of these gaps disappear. I live with them because I do not want an Android device but wouldn’t hesitate to use a sandboxed emulator on my phone if available. Again, I doubt it will even happen but what is wrong with giving options? As for comments about people leaving if this was to happen, where are you going? Are you headed to Android or ios or do you have your personal OS available?

BTW, providing access to other platforms has killed neither BlackBerry nor Apple (I assume people have heard of Bootcamp). BlackBerry did a great job of nearly killing itself prior to BB10. Post-BB10 has done little one way or the other. Bootcamp, on the other hand, has helped Apple stabilize as a minority market share OS in the desktop OS world. It has not eroded Microsoft’s position nor undercut Apple nor driven away OSX developers. It is a tool that makes it easier for those who like Macs but need Windows applications to have access to both worlds. Of course if people want the best OS with poor app support, they could go all the way by going with whatever OS Samsung releases or Amazon’s current fiasco, and complement it all with a Linux box, Mac (without virtual OS support), and a Chromebook….

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
^stephen_az makes a good point. People keep quoting BlackBerry as proof that having access to another OS's apps means that development for it stops, but Apple has shown that it really doesn't mean people always stop making apps for an OS. I mean, Mac still has programs written for it still even though you could use Windows.

Think of if this way, if Android apps come to WP and the average person doesn't realize they're Android apps and more people start buying them, that could actually spur Windows development.

I mean, think about it. The biggest obstacle for most people is the lack of some apps. If Microsoft can get enough of the non-techies (who wouldn't know the difference), then that would get their overall numbers up. If Windows 10 takes off and people start using those apps, then desktop users + increased phone users would mean that developers would have a bigger incentive to code the app to be universal. Instead of a death sentence, it could be the temporary band aid that saves WP.

Of course, this is all speculation, but its worth considering that it may not be all bad.

Last edited:

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
^stephen_az makes a good point. People keep quoting BlackBerry as proof that having access to another OS's apps means that development for it stops, but Apple has shown that it really doesn't mean people always stop making apps for an OS. I mean, Mac still has programs written for it still even though you could use Windows.

Think of if this way, if Android apps come to WP and the average person doesn't realize they're Android apps and more people start buying them, that could actually spur Windows development.

I mean, think about it. The biggest obstacle for most people is the lack of some apps. If Microsoft can get enough of the non-techies (who wouldn't know the difference), then that would get their overall numbers up. If Windows 10 takes off and people start using those apps, then desktop users + increased phone users would mean that developers would have a bigger incentive to code the app to be universal. Instead of a death sentence, it could be the temporary band aid that saves WP.

Of course, this is all speculation, but its worth considering that it may not be all bad.
While your point is valid, you have to remember that windows phone will just be a fancy android launcher. What would be the point when you can buy the full android experience.

Secondly, the advantage of windows phones running smooth on on low end devices will disappear, all the 512mb devices will struggle to run more intensive games because they are optimised for devices with 1gb ram. Like asphalt 8, sonic dash etc.

Thirdly, even if e get support for android apps, that doesn't mean we get play services, which is in the backend of most android apps. That means that Snapchat will not function, vine will not have notifications, no official google apps and many other disadvantages. If a service uses play services, windows phone cannot run it correctly.

Lastly there is the fact that WP apps run in a sandboxed environment for security. Android apps are free to run in the background. Which means that, the apps would need to be restarted over and over again, each time you try to switch between apps or Microsoft can let the apps run free however that would mean the OS would be vulnerable to exploits and viruses etc since it's more open.

So why would someone pick a crippled android experience over the full official one?

emiel1976

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Well I think it has advantages and it will give some problems.
There will be no reason for not buying a wp because of missing apps and wp will be ad the same level as android with apps.
Also the risk of getting problems with the terrible security problems of android will come to wp. Yes the amount of users can grow but will the apps run good on the lower end phones with the lower specs. There is already a problem with android it self with lower spec phones. Those phones are slow have outdated software and as they have the latest version it runs even slower.
Problems that wp doesn't have.
Will developers still develop for wp and what will happen with windows 10.
With windows 10, apps run on all devices and that is not the case with android apps. Many apps give problems on bigger screens in android as they run.
Also you need to buy almost every 2 years a new android phone as you want to use the latest apps because companies stop updating the platform and just bring out a new phone ore tablet. With new versions of apps, windows need to be changed to each time to keep supporting the apps.
So it looks nice but I hope they will never do it.
I still believe that as Microsoft improves his software with windows 10 so that the phone, tablet and pc will work very nice together, that developers will design faster apps for windows.
Windows 10 will get more users than windows 8 now has because people stay on 7 because of the interface.
As apps run on all systems you get also a much bigger marked for your apps. It will make the amount of users bigger than ios has and in time also bigger than android.

The only big advantage I see is that the gap with apps will be closed but in long term it will only give more problems than advantages.

Also I don't like the android apps so much on how they are designed. They are messy and full of spam and more crap. It is not for noting that you need a virus scanner on your android device. Yes also on windows but not on your wp.

Jas00555

Retired Ambassador
Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
While your point is valid, you have to remember that windows phone will just be a fancy android launcher. What would be the point when you can buy the full android experience.

Secondly, the advantage of windows phones running smooth on on low end devices will disappear, all the 512mb devices will struggle to run more intensive games because they are optimised for devices with 1gb ram. Like asphalt 8, sonic dash etc.

Thirdly, even if e get support for android apps, that doesn't mean we get play services, which is in the backend of most android apps. That means that Snapchat will not function, vine will not have notifications, no official google apps and many other disadvantages. If a service uses play services, windows phone cannot run it correctly.

Lastly there is the fact that WP apps run in a sandboxed environment for security. Android apps are free to run in the background. Which means that, the apps would need to be restarted over and over again, each time you try to switch between apps or Microsoft can let the apps run free however that would mean the OS would be vulnerable to exploits and viruses etc since it's more open.

So why would someone pick a crippled android experience over the full official one?

See, that's the thing though, most people wouldn't know you have a crippled Android experience. The majority of people would never know the difference between a Windows app and an Android app.

To your second point, I'm pretty sure that if Microsoft did this, they would make it a requirement for at least 1GB of RAM, so the lower end devices wouldn't get it. I just don't think there's enough available RAM to use WP, an Android Emulator, and a game. The lack of apps is more prevalent to high end users than it is to low end users, so it would mostly work out that the ones who need it most would have it.

To your third point, well... for one, we have Vine ;). Even then, are you sure that Snapchat uses GMS? I can't think of why it would. *Edit: I just remembered that Amazon doesn't have it either, so that pretty much means it does use GMS.* Either way, all Snapchat would have to do is change the backend (which is not really an "all they have to do", but it's still a lot less work), and they would have a functional app.

And to your last point, I don't really see the big deal about his really. All apps are sandboxes and have to be restarted over and over again. It's not like WP apps would get a special treatment or something. To say that these apps will be a crippled version of Android apps is like saying that WP is a crippled version of Android lol.

Fake Android 'The Interview' app steals bank account details http://mashable.com/2014/12/31/interview-android-app/

One of the reasons why you should not allow android apps

This is FUD. That could happen to a Windows app too.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
This idea is great for open minded users.

Most of WP users are hater. You don't need to create a poll for that. It will only show percentage of Android haters among WP users.

Wait wait.. Let me get this straight.. So those that opposed this move are automatically haters? I call BS on that. Go take that same assumption to an android user or ios user and see what your general response is gonna be like? We're haters because we oppose diluting the platform all for the sake of numbers? Go ask an android loyalist about opening up their platform to ios apps. Or vice versa. Then check back here with the response. Let Windows phone succeed on its on merit. Not riding on the back of concession.

LTTG

Dec 17, 2013
Visit site
Wait wait.. Let me get this straight.. So those that opposed this move are automatically haters? I call BS on that. Go take that same assumption to an android user or ios user and see what your general response is gonna be like? We're haters because we oppose diluting the platform all for the sake of numbers? Go ask an android loyalist about opening up their platform to ios apps. Or vice versa. Then check back here with the response. Let Windows phone succeed on its on merit. Not riding on the back of concession.
Well written Stefan! Windows Phone doesn't need Android to succeed.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site

I don't know which world you are living or is it hard to accept truth but almost all WP users are Android haters .(probably more than 90%)

and proof is all over this forum. even WP websites are haters too.(ugnm,.WMPU)

It's very funny in almost every poplar thread in this forum "Android" word exist.(not in a positive way)
If you are calculating "Android" and "WP" words in this forum I bet you will be amazed to see result.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
I don't know which world you are living or is it hard to accept truth but almost all WP users are Android haters .(probably more than 90%)

and proof is all over this forum. even WP websites are haters too.(ugnm,.WMPU)

It's very funny in almost every poplar thread in this forum "Android" word exist.(not in a positive way)
If you are calculating "Android" and "WP" words in this forum I bet you will be amazed to see result.

We're clearly living in the same world if you think that every WP user that don't like Android is an Android hater. There are tons of folks that don't prefer android, but they don't go around spewing hate towards the platform. Additionally, have you ever heard of the term of "negative users make more noise online than positive ones". If there are 20 WP users in a group and 5of them were android haters and vocally voice that opinion...which faction would make the most noise? There's no way you can make such a blanket statement that most users on this forum or any other forum are Android haters. What you are seeing err reading, are the noisy minority. Like I've said previously, go to any other platform and tell me if you see any difference in the sentiment towards competing platforms. It doesn't mean that 90% of em are haters..

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
We're clearly living in the same world if you think that every WP user that don't like Android is an Android hater. There are tons of folks that don't prefer android, but they don't go around spewing hate towards the platform. Additionally, have you ever heard of the term of "negative users make more noise online than positive ones". If there are 20 WP users in a group and 5of them were android haters and vocally voice that opinion...which faction would make the most noise? There's no way you can make such a blanket statement that most users on this forum or any other forum are Android haters. What you are seeing err reading, are the noisy minority. Like I've said previously, go to any other platform and tell me if you see any difference in the sentiment towards competing platforms. It doesn't mean that 90% of em are haters..

Well, I checked around 20mins .
Didn't find anything about WP in AndroidCentral.
They do talk about other OS but very little.
Mostly it's about their own platform.

But here we talk more about other OS(mostly in negative way).
I wonder why.

Why wp users always bring Android or other OS decisions and all they do is talk negative?

Why not only talk or mostly talk about own OS like on other forums.

Stefan Holder

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Well, I checked around 20mins .
Didn't find anything about WP in AndroidCentral.
They do talk about other OS but very little.
Mostly it's about their own platform.

But here we talk more about other OS(mostly in negative way).
I wonder why.

Why wp users always bring Android or other OS decisions and all they do is talk negative?

Why not only talk or mostly talk about own OS like on other forums.

I understand what ur trying to say... But in their defence WP is at the bottom of the market...of course you're gonna see users bring up Android alot. Not saying that its an excuse but just point out. Additionally Android is a much easier target to pick apart when comparing the two OS in terms of overall OS performance.. iOS is fast and fluid as WP without needing the beastly horsepower of Android. So iOS is attacked less often. Another can be that alot of WP came from Android (myself included) so its easy to bring up trash talk about it.. But all in all, not all WP users are Android haters. I came from Android...i have no hate towards it. I think its an awesome platform. But Windows Phone is my platform of choice.

D M C

Jul 7, 2014
Visit site
I understand what ur trying to say... But in their defence WP is at the bottom of the market...of course you're gonna see users bring up Android alot. Not saying that its an excuse but just point out. Additionally Android is a much easier target to pick apart when comparing the two OS in terms of overall OS performance.. iOS is fast and fluid as WP without needing the beastly horsepower of Android. So iOS is attacked less often. Another can be that alot of WP came from Android (myself included) so its easy to bring up trash talk about it.. But all in all, not all WP users are Android haters. I came from Android...i have no hate towards it. I think its an awesome platform. But Windows Phone is my platform of choice.

Thanks for sharing your point.

But one correction.
iOS is is fast and smooth because of monster specs
Have you ever see low end specs on iOS.

I ll tell you a secret about iPhone. Most users don't know but iOS specs are more powerful than even snapdragon 805 processor. Despite its a dual core but it can beat any quad core or octa or hexa core Available in market.

So, actually iOS is most specs hungry OS.
Every iPhone is or was a flagship device running on best specs available at that time.

Last edited:

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
By common sense point of view that smartphones are just material pieces of tech that helps us to do things I think it's perfect lol, run Android apps and run WP and iOS exclusive apps on the same device :D lol sure :D I'm still keeping a Windows phone hey!

emiel1976

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for sharing your point.

But one correction.
iOS is is fast and smooth because of monster specs
Have you ever see low end specs on iOS.

I ll tell you a secret about iPhone. Most users don't know but iOS specs are more powerful than even snapdragon 805 processor. Despite its a dual core but it can beat any quad core or octa or hexa core Available in market.

So, actually iOS is most specs hungry OS.
Every iPhone is or was a flagship device running on best specs available at that time.

I have used android on for a phone and I have an Android tablet. I never use them because I like wp and my windows tablet more.
I did not and still don't hat Android but I hate the problems that there are with it as they are also with wp ios but are bigger with android.
The windows tablet I like more because it fits better my needs than the android tablet did. Yes there are more apps but working on it works better on a windows tablet for were I use it for because I couldn't do all the things that I can do on my pc and now also on my windows tablet.

I switched to wp because the Samsung ativ s was cheap and I thought that Microsoft took care of all the updates and that as wp 8.1 would come it would come ad the same time to my phone. I found out that, that is not true and that Samsung is even worse in updating wp than they are already on Android. That is why I switched to the lumia. With android you can switch to the nexus but that one is more expensive and I did not have that money plus I could get my 1020 very cheap. Also was I very happy with the preview of wp 8.1 even do it was very buggy on the ativ s.
My android devises got oly 1 year upgrades because I did not buy them the first year and after 2 years if you are lucky, the support stops by most companies. It is so with my phone and with my android tablet that is stuck on 4.2 wile my phone is still on 3.6 and I can tell you that, that version is way behind wp 8. Many apps did not work on the phone because I did not have android 4.0 and that made me move away from the platform. I did not want to buy each 2 years the newest model with the latest software.
My tablet is on 4.2 and more and more apps need 4.3 to work. Also se I apps disappear that I used but are updated and don't work on 4.2 any more. Also not able to work with my tablet was a bit of a problem and that is why I am very happy with my win 8 tablet.

Yes people compare wp with android and on android forums almost never talk people about wp because almost all wp user came from android and find out that they like the live tiles more than the widgets and that they can fill there screen with it without getting a slow phone. They see the things they like and compare it with there last platform and that is in most cases android.
But they also see the things that are missing and you see that also on this forum.
Users that never used android or ios will not compare it because they don't now it.

I compare it and I still see and work with android and ios because I help people with there phones and tablets as what I do with windows, osx and Linux. I know each platforms positives and negatives and I know what I like to see and want but there is still no platform that can over me and than I go with the platform that overs me the most of my list and that made that every thing I use is windows or windows phone. I miss some things from Android and that is why is still have my tablet but I wouldn't buy one any more. I am to disappointed about what it became.

I don't want Android apps for several reasons.
You will get the same problems as with android. from witch version will it be supported? As there comes an update and apps need as now 4.3 and wp is on 4.2, how long will it take until wp is upgraded so it will support everything again?
Than what will happen with the windows store? Wp apps aren't needed any more so not made and with win 10 were there are a lot of advantages with native win apps, what will happen with that? Do we get Android apps on our pc?
The virus and mail ware problem in android, will it also come to wp?
yes it is nice that you can run the apps from android and don't need to beg for an app by companies, but I believe that win 10 on all platforms makes a different. Place Android on it and Android will get a boost that makes them eve bigger as they can put there apps on all platforms Microsoft has.
Also most wp sold are in the lower spec class and they will get the same problem as on the android platform and that is slow running apps as they work.
The apps will only be useful for the high-end part of the wp marked and that part is small.

I love how my wp and the apps work and I would not like to see that change to android were I liked some things but never how some things worked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb