When will Windows Phone OS Restrictions end?

Nalin Khanduri1

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Windows Phone OS Restrictions.

As you know due to os restrictions we can't do many works like we can't lock apps in 8 or 8.1 etc.So what do you think?Will Microsoft end this restriction in windows 10 for mobiles or continue with the same tradition?
My View:If MS doesn't end this restriction,then this may be the last year for Microsoft in mobile world,because MS actually has nothing to compete with Android and IOS to be honest.Neither wp has apps nor much games and over that this Restriction is killing WP.
What are your views on this?

hj2132

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Re: Windows Phone OS Restrictions.

There's a romour about android apps on windows 10 may be msft will end restrictions

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

This restriction isn't killing Windows Phone. If you look at the items on the Windows Phone user voice page, the top ranked request for locking (for photos and messages) has only 1600 votes. I've not gone further down the list to see about app locking, but it's certainly way less than 1,000 votes.

Using that metric, this isn't a feature that's asked for in anything approaching significant numbers.

People tend to forget that security restrictions are there for two main reasons:-
1) Speed & performance of the app and the system as a whole. Multiple background apps running on Android slows the system down, things crash, the phone stops working.
2) YOUR security. If your Android app has access to system functions, you're also giving the app developer access to those features, they have your passcode, the have access (if they wanted) to the content you're protecting.

There's no such features on Windows Phone because Microsoft trusts you to look after your own device.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

I would hardly say this is killing the platform. You want to lock access to something, put a pin on your phone.

Most people think of locking the device not the apps.

Anyway, it is a good idea, and I get why there are some good Uservoice ideas, but there are much bigger fish to fry.

Last edited:

Legoboyii

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Windows 8.1 gdr 2 has app permissions soon the app restrictions will end

No it just means you can choose what specific apps can access. Lets say you have an app that can access photos and location, but you don't want the app to have access to location, so you can choose to block that app's permission to access location. That's all it is so stop dreaming for a security hole please.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss