Hamburger menu!!

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
- the user must be able to swipe from the left edge to reveal the menu contents, this is so they can still use it while holding the phone one-handed

This still isn't one hand usability friendly. As, even if you swipe from the left side to reveal the menu, you will still have to tap on the upper left side of the screen to use those menus, as oppposed to the current UI where even the ellipsis and the controls are at the bottom.

psudotechzealot

Jul 6, 2013
Visit site
What are you guys are going about this? What is y'all plan to convince them get rid of the Hamburger menu? What do you guys expect the constructive result to be for all of this?

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
This still isn't one hand usability friendly. As, even if you swipe from the left side to reveal the menu, you will still have to tap on the upper left side of the screen to use those menus, as oppposed to the current UI where even the ellipsis and the controls are at the bottom.

You're absolutely right on that, Ellipses and controls at the bottom should still be the first and foremost choice for developers to use. I'm just saying if for some reason they *insist* on having hamburger, then at least make it revealable swiping from the left edge.

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

It would also help if the menu had wraparound scrolling. So after revealing the menu with the swipe, an upward swipe anywhere on the menu brings the options from to top to the lower part of the menu so you can easily select it.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
It would also help if the menu had wraparound scrolling. So after revealing the menu with the swipe, an upward swipe anywhere on the menu brings the options from to top to the lower part of the menu so you can easily select it.

Nah.. Instead get rid of hamburgers in the PC version and put pivots there. Isn't it better? :D

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hamburger menus are all over Android and Android is the most popular mobile OS, so I this makes no sense. It's definitely not hurting Android.

It could be. Just because Android does it doesn't mean its ideal.
I don't think the hamburger is hard to understand though.

Arhitecter

Feb 21, 2014
Visit site
I hate android for this nightmare menus and buttons, for this design chaos that now came to WP. MS, this is don't attract developers! All that they interested in is active users and profitable of OS. But this scare away a lot of users, that prefer windows phone for its comfortableness and uniqueness. If OS look and feel the same as android, people would buy android, that already have a lot of apps and devices! MS, don't be stupid.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Nah.. Instead get rid of hamburgers in the PC version and put pivots there. Isn't it better? :D

Neither is better. Both have their place. For example, if your content is an almost full screen and swipeable map, then you can't or at least shouldn't use the same gesture (swiping) for navigation.

We need both options. This is not an either/or question. The real questions are:

A) when should which approach be used

B) what would a Metro-Like implementation for both approaches look&feel like

C) and which should be the preferred approach if both are viable.

Many of us refer to this as the hamburger-problem, and some brain-deads unfortunately mistake that to mean that some just don't like how the icon looks, which is completely besides the point.
What it really comes down to is how to best implement navigation that is compact so it doesn't require a lot of screen real estate/chrome, can be used with one hand, doesn't distract from the content, looks clean and uncluttered, and is intuitive. It's not really about a particular button, and particularly not about a hamburger button.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
With hamburger menus there is more space available, so It's possible to provide more options and classify them by sections. The current menus in Metro apps are the same mess that the Settings screen of WP, a list of unordered items without classification, color, or any visual cue to facilitate the use, an awful user experience.

There is no smartphone that can be used only with one hand. In WP the user has to reach elements at the top screen all the time, for example, links or the hamburger menu in a web page, the first items in lists. The hamburger menu just add a little more interaction with the second hand, but UI interaction is so automatic that the user doesn't really notice any difference after a couple of days.

The smartphone user is not in a race to do the operations fast, that's not the main reason why people choose a platform. Convention more than efficiency is the main drive behind UI interaction, for example, the qwerty keyboard. Hamburger menus are more intuitive because in almost every computing device the menu and options are at the top of the screen. The weirdness of Metro is one of the causes to explain the low market share of this platform.

So, developers, remove all those ugly menus from the bottom, Windows 10 is coming.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
The weirdness of Metro is one of the causes to explain the low market share of this platform.
If you truly believe that a lot of people seriously considered WP, and then thought or had a feeling along the lines of: "you know what, if only this command bar was at the top I would buy it", then I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. Sorry tiziano, that's nonsense.

At this point WP's low market share does have something to do with convention... the convention is that iOS or Android are so prevalent, that WP isn't even thought of as a valid choice. There are a dozen other reasons too, but the command bar being at the bottom is not one of them.

luisfarelo

Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
You guys will be complaining forever, I hope you know that. I don't care how it looks just give me the features I need and want. [bleep] Metro, [bleep] panorama. All you guys do is hold on to the past. One tech writer even argued that we should bring back built in Hubs for goodness sake. Completely forgetting the huge problems they brought. It seems like being different has created more headache for Microsoft than its worth, they can't move forward. People want their cake and they want to eat it too. And the Nokia hardcore fans that say they wont buy a windows phone with the words "Microsoft" on it in lieu of "Nokia". Give me a brake numbnuts its the same thing, same people making the phone. It seems it to me it would be better that all these people who don't like where Microsoft is going should jump ship put all of us out of our misery. You don't complain about what MS is doing we don't have to listen to your constant whining, geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzz.

So, if we wanted FEATURES we would be on Android. We want a system that is more elegant, fluid and retains what made it original in the first place.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
If you truly believe that a lot of people seriously considered WP, and then thought or had a feeling along the lines of: "you know what, if only this command bar was at the top I would buy it", then I have a bridge I'd like to sell you. Sorry tiziano, that's nonsense.

At this point WP's low market share does have something to do with convention... the convention is that iOS or Android are so prevalent, that WP isn't even thought of as a valid choice. There are a dozen other reasons too, but the command bar being at the bottom is not one of them.

People is not operating in a deep rational level all the time. So, of course It's not like you said.

The rejection to WP is an emotional reaction to the question: "How do I use this fu*** thing?". It's not a deep analysis about the relative position of the UI elements.

A device that has the UI elements where they're supposed to be, generates confidence in the prospective buyer.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
People is not operating in a deep rational level all the time. So, of course It's not like you said.

The rejection to WP is an emotional reaction to the question: "How do I use this fu*** thing?". It's not a deep analysis about the relative position of the UI elements.

A device that has the UI elements where they're supposed to be, generates confidence in the prospective buyer.

Look - an anecdote - but I just switched my parents out of some forsaken entry level Samsung 'droids they got from a mall vendor for gently used 822's I got great deals on. Both of their 'droid's were pretty much unaltered as they came from Verizon, because, as you say, "How do I use this fu*** thing?".

They've seen me using my 928 and Icon - they've seen plenty of iPhones as well - but liked the approach and low cost of what I could set them up with.

WP isn't fundamentally much different than IOS or Android - its more familiarity and confirmation bias's that work against it.

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Please, please Microsoft, stop this nonsense. Extend the functionality of the triple dot menu (allow it to get controls in it, not just text buttons) but don't add dumbass hamburgers. They are just so irritating to reach, even on a 4.7 inch Lumia 820 :(

LSDigital

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
That's not the point. This is for universal apps.
It's easier to click on an hamburger menu on PC. Swipe it's a mobile thing only.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Neither is better. Both have their place. For example, if your content is an almost full screen and swipeable map, then you can't or at least shouldn't use the same gesture (swiping) for navigation.

We need both options. This is not an either/or question. The real questions are:

A) when should which approach be used

B) what would a Metro-Like implementation for both approaches look&feel like

C) and which should be the preferred approach if both are viable.

Many of us refer to this as the hamburger-problem, and some brain-deads unfortunately mistake that to mean that some just don't like how the icon looks, which is completely besides the point.
What it really comes down to is how to best implement navigation that is compact so it doesn't require a lot of screen real estate/chrome, can be used with one hand, doesn't distract from the content, looks clean and uncluttered, and is intuitive. It's not really about a particular button, and particularly not about a hamburger button.

I'm also not against the hamburger button. I'm against the way it is used. Sure they could use illipsis at the place of hamburgers and I'd still hate that. And we have a nav bar below, use that instead of hamburger for apps such as maps. We never did really require hamburger in our OS till date, why now then?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss