Hamburger menu!!

zeref0016

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
Why do people freak out about hamburger button?

I know ellipsis makes WP unique but don't you think it's time to welcome changes if they're for the better?? I mean most of the consumers aren't tech-savvy and my friend loves the new Spotify UI which has hamburger in it.

So what do you think?? Please don't start WW3 here.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
And okay fine. Let's see what miracles a hamburger menu does. Let's see if we become the no. 1 mobile OS with Windows 10. Let's see how many Android users will plunge to Windows Phone because they see a hamburger there. Let's see!

FinsUpDNC

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Adding the Hamburger menu is not about best design or best UI for Windows users. It is another way for MSFT to draw devs into their ecosystem. The issue is that they think that is the reason they are hurting there, when it is a very small issue.

MSFT was better off with their original idea for mobile UI.....be the different, eventually that is a selling point in itself. Oh well.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Adding the Hamburger menu is not about best design or best UI for Windows users. It is another way for MSFT to draw devs into their ecosystem. The issue is that they think that is the reason they are hurting there, when it is a very small issue.

MSFT was better off with their original idea for mobile UI.....be the different, eventually that is a selling point in itself. Oh well.

Well, seems that MS doesn't have faith in themselves. Seems that they can't compete with Apple, who have faith in them and so sold a 4 inch device more than any other device in a 5 inch phone and phablet era.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
And those who say, that hamburger is needed for great apps. Take a look at myTube, all 6 apps of Rudy. Are they less funtional than Android counterparts with hamburger?

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
And okay fine. Let's see what miracles a hamburger menu does. Let's see if we become the no. 1 mobile OS with Windows 10. Let's see how many Android users will plunge to Windows Phone because they see a hamburger there. Let's see!

Wait, so the measurement of success is now being the highest selling OS? Does this mean you think the menu they had before was bad, as WP has actually lost share over the last year.

There are some valid points there. Unfortunately, you fail to understand. Like he said, you can't know where you are in the app right now as all the menus are hidden in the hamburger. With pivots, you can clearly know where you are in the app and where you can go.

Yes, yes, everyone who disagrees just doesn't get it. It's not like UI preferences are subjective.

Well, seems that MS doesn't have faith in themselves. Seems that they can't compete with Apple, who have faith in them and so sold a 4 inch device more than any other device in a 5 inch phone and phablet era.

I'm looking at the 6+ beside me. Looks like, according to you, they lost faith in themselves...

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Wait, so the measurement of success is now being the highest selling OS? Does this mean you think the menu they had before was bad, as WP has actually lost share over the last year.

Yes, yes, everyone who disagrees just doesn't get it. It's not like UI preferences are subjective.

I'm looking at the 6+ beside me. Looks like, according to you, they lost faith in themselves...

1. No, people defend the hamburger menu saying it is familiar to Android users and thus they will feel home using a WP. And thus, market share will increase. So, I reacted, let's see what wonders it does.

3. Well, you are right with the 6 plus actually. They didn't lose hope in them, but they did a necessary change. While on the WP front, chnaging the whole menu system was not a necessary change as we are doing fine by now in terms of UI. Name just one app which is less funtional because of Metro UI?

Michael Alan Goff

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
1. No, people defend the hamburger menu saying it is familiar to Android users and thus they will feel home using a WP. And thus, market share will increase. So, I reacted, let's see what wonders it does.

3. Well, you are right with the 6 plus actually. They didn't lose hope in them, but they did a necessary change. While on the WP front, chnaging the whole menu system was not a necessary change as we are doing fine by now in terms of UI. Name just one app which is less funtional because of Metro UI?

1)Raising marketshare and becoming #1 are two different things.
2. I disagree, the menu system was changed because users know the hamburger menu. As for apps that are less functional because of the Metro UI? It isn't about functionality but familiarity.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I disagree, the menu system was changed because users know the hamburger menu.

I don't think we can be so sure as to why MS decided to change their approach to UI navigation. All any of us can do is guess. I'd be very surprised if "familiarity with the hamburger button" was what drove MS to replace Metro's navigational concepts with this entirely different approach.

I'd say these changes are merely a consequence of universal apps. I'd wager that universal apps employ navigational concepts that are primarily designed to work well on tablets and larger screens, and those approaches are just being forced down onto smartphone sized screens, because it's the same app. What we're seeing is not the result of an iterative design process aiming to give us a better user experience on small screens, but the result of navigational concepts that originated on tablets, now having to run on smartphone sized devices as well, and ultimately being perfect for neither.

Last edited:

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't think we can be so sure as to why MS decided to change their approach to UI navigation. All any of us can do is guess. I'd be very surprised if "familiarity with the hamburger button" was what drove MS to replace Metro's navigational concepts with this entirely different approach.

I'd say these changes are merely a consequence of universal apps. I'd wager that universal apps employ navigational concepts that are primarily designed to work well on tablets and larger screens, and those approaches are just being forced down onto smartphone sized screens, because it's the same app. What we're seeing is not a result of an iterative design process aiming to give us a better user experience on small screens, but the result of a navigational concepts that originated on tablets, now having to run well on smartphone sized devices, and ultimately being perfect for neither.
Windows 10 is basically gonna be the contrary of 8. Instead of forcing touch stuff on big screen, it's gonna be forcing big stuff to small screens. Including that dumbass hamburger.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Windows 10 is basically gonna be the contrary of 8. Instead of forcing touch stuff on big screen, it's gonna be forcing big stuff to small screens. Including that dumbass hamburger.

The hamburger menu works flawlessly in Android, the platform with 85% of market share in mobile, the users are happy with It. So, I don't see why It could be a problem in WP.

Commands at the top, the hamburger menu alone or in combination with Tabs, are excellent changes to improve the user experience in WP. Besides, these changes will make it easier to develop for the platform and will help to sell more phones.

Rafael Yousuf

Oct 19, 2013
Visit site
Seriously?? Before calling me hilarious, 10 years old, ohh I can't grasp a thing, can you? Do you know anything about user friendly ness? Controls at the top are hard to reach, thus are less user friendly. Till date WP was more easy to us OS. Now, it is no different than other OSes. Can't you and everyone in favour of hamburger get such a simple thing?

I totally agree with you, buttons on top are hard to reach specially on large screen devices without using your other hand.
However I wouldn't mind keeping the hamburger button but also allowing us to open the same menu by sliding from the side.

felixl87

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
One of the reasons why Microsoft is going to fail with windows phone is WP users!!!, these people really suck! They even whine and refuse to use an app just because it has a feature they used in a former OS and never liked it,they are people who want anything to be done after asking for their views,remember what happened to the OneDrive app update,how everyone here shouted their lungs out just because of an Android like design in just one app.
Microsoft needs to do things basing on what 84% people want not 2.7% minority, if you want to leave, leave!!! Besides where will you go if iOS and Android are all baked in hamburgers.

Last edited:

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
One of the reasons why Microsoft is going to fail with windows phone is WP users!!!, these people really suck! They even whine and refuse to use an app just because it has a feature they used in a former OS and never liked it,they are people who want anything to be done after asking for their views,remember what happened to the OneDrive app update,how everyone here shouted their lungs out just because of an Android like design in just one app.
Microsoft needs to do things basing on what 84% people want not 2.7% minority, if you want to leave, leave!!! Besides where will you go if iOS and Android are all baked in hamburgers.
When has an Android user said that they would switch if they had these menus? Never. People are complaining, because it is less convenient, and could be implemented in a way better way. It's a step back.

Protocol Rahul

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
For me, it is the ease of access with one hand, for example onedrive with the new UI its fast and fluid, but single handedly I cannot tap the hamburger over the top left. I have to use other hand or stretch my fingers a bit even on lumia 1020(4.5" device). If there was slide gesture to open that menu/options from that left side it would be nice. I don't care if its hamburger or finger chips. Its the ease of using it.
http://www.windowscentral.com/sites..._windows_phone_new_ui_leade.jpg?itok=hqZse3U_

Ebuka Allison

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, lets wait and see what hides behind the hamburger menu. If its rarely used features, then that's alright. I draw the line at Outlook mail pushing everything to the top though. That's not right.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
For me, it is the ease of access with one hand, for example onedrive with the new UI its fast and fluid, but single handedly I cannot tap the hamburger over the top left. I have to use other hand or stretch my fingers a bit even on lumia 1020(4.5" device). If there was slide gesture to open that menu/options from that left side it would be nice. I don't care if its hamburger or finger chips. Its the ease of using it.
http://www.windowscentral.com/sites..._windows_phone_new_ui_leade.jpg?itok=hqZse3U_
How do you reach the first line of tiles on the start screen?, or the notification center? Or the first item on lists? Or the links at the top of a web page? Or the toast notifications?
Single handed use is impossible in big phones.

The hamburger menu should contain features that aren't commonly used (in relative terms), because two steps are needed to access those features.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786