Windows 10 Transparent Tiles on Phones

dcpraneeth

May 3, 2014
Visit site
Meanwhile, I was thinking about "Burst Tiles" feature that was reported a few days back. Not sure, if its already implemented with W10 build.

Yeah.. How did I forget this?? Well we've 3 more events to kill, so let time unwrap the surprises.. But we must make a thread dedicated to Archiving all those leaks/rumoured features which never showed up since wp8 . So that we can have a track on things we badly wanted but we managed to forget 'cause of good enough next update :p ..

YashHarf

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
Hamburger type apps are really killing the unique feel of WP OS... I hope Satya Nadella think twice before implimenting such an idea... 😐

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Hamburger type apps are really killing the unique feel of WP OS... I hope Satya Nadella think twice before implimenting such an idea... 😐

I think we are already too late because when looking at the touch version of office (both windows 10 for desktop and phone) you see the hamburger button... I think they are going to implement it in every single (new) app unfortunately.

Ashish Gupta888

Retired Ambassador
Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
Yeah.. How did I forget this?? Well we've 3 more events to kill, so let time unwrap the surprises.. But we must make a thread dedicated to Archiving all those leaks/rumoured features which never showed up since wp8 . So that we can have a track on things we badly wanted but we managed to forget 'cause of good enough next update :p ..

Yeah, but its a feature that should finally make its way to W10. I hope MS won't disappoint us :)

YashHarf

Sep 15, 2014
Visit site
I think we are already too late because when looking at the touch version of office (both windows 10 for desktop and phone) you see the hamburger button... I think they are going to implement it in every single (new) app unfortunately.
Still, we can do something when the PFD is out and they are hearing from Us..

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
Still, we can do something when the PFD is out and they are hearing from Us..

I really really hope so. But I just saw a few pictures of the OS demo for phones on Neowin and the hamburger button is in every almost app! I really don't like it, looks so much like android... But yeah we just have to see and let or voices be heard!

Edit: Okay not every app has the hamburger button. After a closer look some apps still gave the 3-dot bottom menu bar or whatever it is being called. But now I'm worried that the UI is really inconsistent and no continuity. But it is a really early build though...

L Beezy

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I love how you make it sound like we're fans crying over nothing.

It has less to do with the fact that it is IOS/Android esque. It's the fact that people fear Windows phone/Windows 10 is losing its identity and the unique aspects that made us choose it over the big two. I can certainly agree and understand that.

The OS has lost some windows phone 7 qualities to make it more android/IOS like and it is a copycat in some ways...and guess what? Doing so really hasn't done much for people to get one.

It's less of the IOS/Android thing and more because people actually WANT a unique OS that is different from the others and bringing in enough muscle(aka features) without compromising on its original vision.

Nothing in my post says that people are "crying over nothing." You make some legitimate points in your post. However, in order to advance as an OS, there will be elements that will be copied--or shall I say emulated--into WP that has been done in iOS and Android....see the Action Center for example. There are people here, however, that despise the hamburger menu for the simple fact that it's on iOS and Android.

I came to WP for a unique experience as well, and it still delivers even on 8.1. I'm also not afraid to see change as well.

chancooluk

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I really really hope so. But I just saw a few pictures of the OS demo for phones on Neowin and the hamburger button is in every almost app! I really don't like it, looks so much like android... But yeah we just have to see and let or voices be heard!

Edit: Okay not every app has the hamburger button. After a closer look some apps still gave the 3-dot bottom menu bar or whatever it is being called. But now I'm worried that the UI is really inconsistent and no continuity. But it is a really early build though...

The 3 dot icon is called an 'ellipsis'.

I personally don't like the hamburger icon too much because it always sits at the top of the screen, which is easily the most difficult place to reach on new phones due to the ever increasing size. WP7 had the right idea by keeping the most commonly used controls at the bottom of the screen.

The same thing is going to happen with the 'Spartan' browser. The address bar will be at the top of the screen instead of the bottom.

I suppose I will just have to be forced to use my phone with two hands when W10 is released.

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
The 3 dot icon is called an 'ellipsis'.

I personally don't like the hamburger icon too much because it always sits at the top of the screen, which is easily the most difficult place to reach on new phones due to the ever increasing size. WP7 had the right idea by keeping the most commonly used controls at the bottom of the screen.

The same thing is going to happen with the 'Spartan' browser. The address bar will be at the top of the screen instead of the bottom.

I suppose I will just have to be forced to use my phone with two hands when W10 is released.

That's exactly what all WP fans think including me haha! Such a shame, WP8 is a blessing for 5" screens, easy one hand operation...

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
This may have already been posted, but this image is from the Insider blog, without a doubt the tiles have transparency.

phone_start.png

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
The only picture, that I saw, showed a phone with translucent tiles, not transparent.

Isn't that almost the exact same thing. Everyone means the same though, that the tiles are "see-trough". Some call it transparent and some translucent. In my native language you can use them both haha.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
There is a fundamental difference though.

As an example, transparent would be like a clear window pane, while translucent would be more of a frosted or tinted window pane.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I think the background wallpaper on the startscreen is overkill. I'm happy to hear now that transparent live tiles will stay with backgound image and paralax. If improvement is needed I would rather like to see the spacing between live tiles smaller and that microsoft makes it easy to make all live tiles transparant, even the third party ones that don't have them activated.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
So I guess I guess everyone is going to ignore my post pointing out that in iOS & Android the icon doesn't have to be tapped, instead you can just swipe in from the left side of the screen. I'm sure the functionality will be the same here. WP is not losing it's "ID", and if you think it is...it's all for the hope that WP remains an option.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs