Windows 10 Transparent Tiles on Phones

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
There is a fundamental difference though.

As an example, transparent would be like a clear window pane, while translucent would be more of a frosted or tinted window pane.

Yeah okay that's true, but what I was thinking is when it is completely transparent, it isn't really a tile anymore. Or it needs a border... And than it is just a ugly square haha.

So I guess I guess everyone is going to ignore my post point out that in iOS & Android the icon doesn't have to be tapped, instead you can just swipe in from the left side of the screen.

That is indeed a good thing, IF it is possible to swipe from the left border on every height, not just where the hamburger button is.

Luigi Lop

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
i honestly hope i can keep the current behaviour. going to be upset. I hate everything that is not black or text on my phone. it's just meaningless wasted battery.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Transparent, translucent or whatever.
I hope they are creating a setting for the opacity so you can change the level of transparency.
Or the possibility to change the color ( instead of a wallpaper ) and keep the tileoverlay the way it is now.
Or the possibilty to use a background wallpaper and a tileoverlay, a kind of double paralax effect
Or perhaps a live wallpaper............

So many thoughts and possibility's, but they all use valuable resources,
not only gpu/cpu but also sucks extra juice from your battery.

But its a ongoing development, just like the hardware of our phones.

Ma Rio

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Great feature! Can't wait to get it on my phone.
The one thing that I wanted so bad from W10 is cosmetic changes.
Not 100% satisfied, but hey, it's good enough.

Asik15

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Great feature! Can't wait to get it on my phone.
The one thing that I wanted so bad from W10 is cosmetic changes.
Not 100% satisfied, but hey, it's good enough.

Human desires cannot satisfied fully in nature though ... what we have is enough ... even i'm not satisfied :p but we cannot complain :)

Edit : Sarcasm :p

Last edited:

DrewT3

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
If there is a picture in the background in WP10, what happens when you swipe over to the app list? Does the background fade out or is it behind the text on the app list too? either way sounds ugly.

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
If there is a picture in the background in WP10, what happens when you swipe over to the app list? Does the background fade out or is it behind the text on the app list too? either way sounds ugly.

If you watch back the demo Joe Belfiore did on the event, you see the app list is white and a little transparent/translucent too, so you still see the background but the whole app list pans over it. Can't really explain it well, so it is better to watch it yourself:p

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Isn't that almost the exact same thing. Everyone means the same though, that the tiles are "see-trough". Some call it transparent and some translucent. In my native language you can use them both haha.

In transparent tiles, the picture renders perfectly while in the translucent ones shown in the pics above, you can make out that there is a picture, but you cannot see the detail through the tiles. I definitely prefer what we have now from a tile standpoint, versus having a background image that you can only vaguely see through the live tiles. Hopefully that remains as an option.

DenniSundaY

Aug 25, 2011
Visit site
In transparent tiles, the picture renders perfectly while in the translucent ones shown in the pics above, you can make out that there is a picture, but you cannot see the detail through the tiles. I definitely prefer what we have now from a tile standpoint, versus having a background image that you can only vaguely see through the live tiles. Hopefully that remains as an option.

Yeah but if you can look entirely trough the tiles, it has no borders, thus making it not a tile...

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

Either design is dependent upon the background chosen, if you choose a busy background, its going to look tacky and unreadable on either.

If Windows 10 desktop version will also have transparent titles, it will be great in looks.

It doesn't appear to be and imo it's better without translucent tiles on the desktop. The translucent start menu however looks great.
2n6f4b8.png

Grimlock

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
I really hope they have the option to keep the current wp8.1 implementation! I'm still happy they aren't abandoning transparent tiles, but would really miss the parallax.

Last edited:

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
i honestly hope i can keep the current behaviour. going to be upset. I hate everything that is not black or text on my phone. it's just meaningless wasted battery.

It's the main reason I went back to a Windows phone 8 device.
Real dark on Android wasn't dark enough.. Lol...

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but if you can look entirely trough the tiles, it has no borders, thus making it not a tile...
you are right, if borders are removed then transparent is not an option, I kinda like black borders with transparent tiles, it looks sexy, removing borders and placing translucent tiles over compete background wallpaper looks ugly, why not then even make the tiles round, atleast ppl will buy the devices thinking they are android.

tomper

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
So I guess I guess everyone is going to ignore my post pointing out that in iOS & Android the icon doesn't have to be tapped, instead you can just swipe in from the left side of the screen. I'm sure the functionality will be the same here.

The trouble is that would introduce a pretty big inconsistency between Windows 10 on phones and Windows 10 on tablets, where swiping in from the left invokes the app switcher UI.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99