The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-30-2015 02:27 AM
155 1234 ...
tools
    I liked a lot of the universal apps and cross-platform functionality. Add, some of the upgrades to Office and Outlook.

Looking forward to seeing it in action.
    01-21-2015 07:29 PM
    I loved what I saw today especially for it not showing in depth all of the features specifically for phone. I switched to Android in October last year to give Microsoft time to show us what direction they were going in and it finally makes sense now. Their vision of one OS for all devices makes you want to buy those multiple devices to use across the board. The only thing left for me is a flagship(well, a Lumia flagship) released for the three major US carriers. That is the last determining factor in my return to Windows or not. There is absolutely no good reason why the Lumia 1520 or Icon is not available on more than one carrier. Let's see what Microsoft can do for consumers as far as availability this year.

Posted via the Windows Phone Central App for Android

I must say I was blown away by tge awesomeness we saw today, but for phones I felt like too litttle was changed. I really hope to see some UI changes while keeping it in the same style. The full background with no transparent tiles looks extremely ugly at least, so I hope that gets changed
    Transparent tiles live on. If you go to the Windows website and click on learn more next to the Windows 10 image, you'll see it on that page. And it looks gorgeous!

Here's a screenshot.

Attached Thumbnails 60369.jpg  
    Last edited by Guytronic; 01-21-2015 at 10:06 PM.
    01-21-2015 07:30 PM
    How I get windows 10 update on phones
    01-21-2015 07:44 PM
    I'm very happy with it! There's ACTIONABLE notifications, everyone's been begging for that!

How I get windows 10 update on phones
    You wait a few weeks (In February) and install the insider program then.
    Last edited by Guytronic; 01-21-2015 at 10:05 PM.
    Ed Boland, snowmutt and jmshub like this.
    01-21-2015 07:47 PM
    The idea of universal apps/store apps is a win. On the other hand, UI is deviating too much from modern UI for my liking. Hopefully, it will be updated and come back to its metro/modern looks and feel.
    01-21-2015 07:47 PM
    I was impressed by everything they had shown, except Win104phone, a little underwhelming in that department. I'm still excited for the preview though.
    01-21-2015 08:12 PM
    If that's all they have for phones, I'm disappointed, It's not enough for a year of development. So, I hope they have more to show in a next event.

From what they showed today, It seems the strategy for phones is to make Windows 10 a total success in PCs, and expect some people to say, "hey, I love Windows 10, I would like this same experience in my phone". Most of the talk about phones was Universal apps and how the experience is consistent across form factors. From what they showed today, there isn't a new feature in phone itself that could alter the market position of the product.

If I understood correctly the phone also has the holographic APIs, why?
    01-21-2015 08:34 PM
    Still playing catch up though, iOS8 had had this for a while now. Still, good to have the feature.
    Is the feature there? Sure, but the app must be designed to work like this too, and I've not found any uses (my iPad air is WiFi only)
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-21-2015 08:36 PM
    I got to say, today was an interesting day for microsoft.
    01-21-2015 08:41 PM
    Is the feature there? Sure, but the app must be designed to work like this too, and I've not found any uses (my iPad air is WiFi only)
    Uuum... What?

I got to say, today was an interesting day for microsoft.
    It truly was! My favorite part was the Xbox/Direct X 12 stuff. I really like what the OS is looking like on the desktop.
    Last edited by Guytronic; 01-21-2015 at 10:05 PM.
    snowmutt likes this.
    01-21-2015 08:43 PM
    I'm fine will all the changes they've made to their apps including the UIs. But I do hope that they would keep the Metro-UI as in 8.1 albeit with some refreshment. Perhaps one of the reasons they use the top bar would be for Android and iOS users to easily adapt but how about the people that are familiar with Windows 8.1 as it is right now. I love the elegant design of Windows. But if that hamburger and top bar stuff as people like to call them make their way to Windows, it will be alright. I believe in the vision of this new and fresh Microsoft.
    fatclue_98 and snowmutt like this.
    01-21-2015 08:55 PM
    There needs to be some cutting edge hardware announced by April or windows for phones will be a distant memory. I was expecting something closer to windows rt on a phone, which would blow Android and ios our of the water. Instead we get a safe tweak to an existing operating system that can run on two year old bottom end phones. Drop the Nokia/Lumia low end strategy and come out with the surface phone already.
    01-21-2015 09:04 PM
    After seeing today's presentation:

Things I liked:
    - the return of the integrated chat app
    - the direction they're going with the unification of OS and apps across devices

What I didn't quite like:
    - Overall, the UI seems more cluttered, the minimalistic charm of the Metro/Modern UI that Windows Phone prides itself on seems to be getting lost
    - There's also a loss of consistency, we now have screens that have either hamburger menus or ellipses, or sometimes both. And as others have also pointed out, moving the menu and actions to the top really doesn't make much sense.

I realize it's still work in progress though I'm hopeful that things will turn out alright in the end. I'm looking forward to seeing the final product.
    01-21-2015 09:09 PM
    From what little was shown I was half excited/half disappointed. I liked most of the new features (expandable quick settings, actionable toast notifications, voice typing) but pretty much hated all the UI design decisions. The Outlook app, the photos gallery, settings screen, background behind the tiles. They all looked like poor copies of something you'd see on Android or iOS. Maybe there will be some visual tweaking between now and when the os is complete but the lack of Metro/Modern design elements in this new version of Windows Phone is disheartening to say the least.
    01-21-2015 09:19 PM
    Did anybody notice Joe replying to a text while still in the settings menu? He didn't have to leave the application and briefly switch to messaging. Messaging was overlaid on top of the current app! Brilliant!
    Exactly! Actionable notifications! A hugely popular requested feature... Apple has this with iOS 8, and I can tell you it's very useful!
    01-21-2015 09:20 PM
    but the question is can developers take the advantage of actionable notifications?
    01-21-2015 09:30 PM
    Where's the mix view?
    01-21-2015 09:47 PM
    My opinion is I love the new look
    I also adore the new office in styling and look although in all honesty I don't think id use it unless there's something I have to absolutely change or edit, I try to keep to one device when I use office (My Surface 2)
    The start menu looks gorgeous finally going with the transparent tiles, although kind of sad to not see the tiles getting advanced functionality like widgets in android and on desktop, and the new design for apps such as outlook, the photo gallery, the settings menu and the Xbox apps look fantastic I personally love it and view it as an advancement on metro hope to see it in further advancements of windows 10 through the gdr builds aswell as maybe some interactive live tiles (probably being a little wishful there, oh well)
    Updated action centre and actionable notifications is more than welcomed.
    I really hope there's more to see before final release ^.^
    snowmutt and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-21-2015 10:11 PM
    also got a bit disappointed on the design choices! alas, it's just an early stage and once they release the preview for Insiders, there will be thousands of feedback and months of polishing.

I just hope they keep it as user choice to use current start screen design (black/white with background in tiles) OR add a wallpaper and choose tiles opacity.

I'm pretty sure if they remove the ability to keep the start screen the way it is now, many and many users will be displeased.

this is a good way of solving the personalization problem, since you'd be able to do a lot with your screen!

well,we can only speculate about stuff, it was a quick tour thru main features and we'll only know better once we have the Preview!
    Kram Sacul likes this.
    01-21-2015 10:21 PM
    There is no downside to this as it is a preview. Obviously, a finished product I would be a tad more critical. But for what this is- a huge update with about 70% ready to go and a preview coming to phones/laptops- I am very excited.
    Laura Knotek, Guytronic and RaRa85 like this.
    01-21-2015 10:25 PM
    It was pretty ho-hum. It was the bare-minimum we expected it to be--Windows Phone with a universal app market. It's not x86-based or anything, so we won't be playing Steam games on the PC or anything.

Smartphones are going to still be driven more by apps than anything. For example, my phone is still primarily for listening to music and texting. Any modern phone can text, but music can be iffy on a per-platform basis. I'm really wanting to see a revamped Xbox Music, where it doesn't tag everything incorrectly, launch slowly, and need to spend 2-3 minutes updating my library on my device after each sync to my phone.

Basically, I ended up not caring about the phone announcements. The shrinking keyboard for one-hand use was neat, but I don't intend to get a large device. The backgrounds are whatever, but I'm not that intrigued. The improved settings are a slight convenience. Instead, I'm looking at it from the perspective of someone without a widespread set of uses for his phone, hoping my core experiences on Windows Phone (music, gaming) get better. Let's hope Xbox on Windows 10 phones isn't just local network streaming, but a re-commitment to getting third-party devs to accept things like LIVE and Achievement integration.
    01-21-2015 10:29 PM
    I like the overall idea and the supercool new features, but what bothers me is that "Has Microsoft got rid of the beautiful Metro UI forever?"

Don't get me wrong. I liked everything Microsoft offered in W10, but the new UI.....It just keeps bugging me. Dunno why? Anyone alse feel the same??
    01-21-2015 10:31 PM
    Yeah, I also agree that there was some interesting stuff in there, but the least interesting, and the thing that received the shortest shrift, was phones.

I'm also in agreement with the view that doesn't see how universal apps changes the argument for developers and closes the app gap, and app quality gap for phones and tablets.

There isn't a compelling argument that the developers at Parrot drones or Tinder or Snapchat or Pinterest, or Pebble watches, or Nest thermostats, need to reach out to Windows desktop or laptop users.
    And why would they, their services are essentially mobile related, that need to tie in to a phone's GPS, positioning, bluetooth stack, etc.
    It may prevent someone like a Chase bank from pulling their app from the Windows store, but little else.

I'm also irritated that they're essentially rebuilding the Music app, from scratch, *again*. Who knows what features they'll strip out this time, before they promise to eventually put them back in months later.
    01-21-2015 10:48 PM
    I liked what I saw and I cant wait to get windows 10.
    01-21-2015 11:15 PM
    I am very happy with wp 8.1 and big changes would I not like to see in the way it works. The miner changes are bigger thn they look like and in my opinion, the changes improve the system.
    They keep that what I love from wp 8.1 and improve it.

the only thing I missed and hope to see is the function than you can make phone calls ns sms from your pc that is connected by wi-fi with your network.
    Whattsapp is working already great on the pc with my wp. I onl hope that they will ad support for other browsers than only chrome.
    But that in an app in win 10 would even be greater.

What a day, I am more impressed than I was ever before by Microsoft. Microsoft found there way to the top cross platform.
    01-21-2015 11:40 PM
155 1234 ...