The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
01-30-2015 02:27 AM
155 123 ...
tools
    Think you guys have seen a sneak pic of what windows 10 is going to be like on small screens, its still windows phone anyway with full-scale background wallpapers, I haven't noticed any big changes,the notification center looks almost the same, the app menu is still the same to and only the settings menu showed a little difference but still black with white text as well, the lock screen still looks like the old one to.
    Think this all windows 10 for phones thing is driven around a new windows phone that deeply integrates with your pc and other Microsoft products, its all about universal apps,pc and phone marriage Actually I haven't noticed any ui changes, things still look the same,now looking back at other OS unveiling,i think every version of android, iOS or blackberry has looked unrecognisably different front the others though iOS doesn't look much different from older versions to.
    I haven't seen any ground shaking features like those Google unveiled in android 5, so far i haven't seen much of anything different but let me hope Microsoft works more on what it has just showed us, I was expecting something like Android 5,iOS8 or BB10 make over unfortunately the only new things I saw were the background images,tweaked settings menu and the new keyboard thing and that's all.

Let me know what you guys think of the new windows 10 mobile in comments below
    Last edited by felixl87; 01-22-2015 at 12:48 AM.
    prasath1234 likes this.
    01-21-2015 05:03 PM
    It's not the finished product.
    ven07 and portalfocus like this.
    01-21-2015 05:06 PM
    All of the features announced today for W10 are good in their own respective ways. Action Center does get changed a bit more than you're letting on, especially when looking at functionality; more action buttons is definitely sth I'm looking forward too. I missed a few parts, but friends have told me that we can expect actionable notifications and that's a big change.

The apps integration, not only on the phone, but for every platform is another one of those small changes that can end up having a big impact.

All in all, we should not forget that this is simply a preview and not the end-product. We should be happy that MS decided to reveal any information at all, instead of letting us live off rumors :/
    01-21-2015 05:10 PM
    Plus don't forget that we will be able to use the insider app for testing and feedback. I am sure that some things will change depending on the feedback.

In general I like what I saw.
    01-21-2015 05:31 PM
    I agree with ven07, the changes may be subtle but they do enhance the overall experience. I mentioned on another thread how I thought Microsoft was shrewdly releasing its apps on other platforms for testing purposes. Look at what we're getting and tell me we'd be getting those features were it not for the feedback from the millions of iOS & Android users.

OneDrive syncing with music, notification syncing across all devices, Office docs syncing across all devices. Not exactly Earth-shattering but at least it's something nobody else offers out of the box yet. Again, this was a preview. There may be more as feedback starts rolling in from this event. Let's all be adults with the feedback, OK?
    01-21-2015 05:33 PM

All in all, we should not forget that this is simply a preview and not the end-product. We should be happy that MS decided to reveal any information at all, instead of letting us live off rumors :/
    Rightly said.
    ven07 and snowmutt like this.
    01-21-2015 05:35 PM
    Look at what we're getting and tell me we'd be getting those features were it not for the feedback from the millions of iOS & Android users
    I did not look at it from that angle, but you make a valid point
    01-21-2015 05:41 PM
    Did anybody notice Joe replying to a text while still in the settings menu? He didn't have to leave the application and briefly switch to messaging. Messaging was overlaid on top of the current app! Brilliant!
    01-21-2015 05:44 PM
    I did not look at it from that angle, but you make a valid point
    It gets better. Looks like Google is suddenly interested in docs handling.

Google Updates Productivity Apps for Android and iOS (Phone Scoop)
    ven07 and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-21-2015 05:47 PM
    Did they present this* all in action? I want to watch video. Can someone kindly share the link please, just for the phone part. Dont need whole Win10 presentation

*action center, apps list, settings (too I think) etc.
    01-21-2015 05:49 PM
    Tbh, I really dont want that many changes to the UI. I think its pretty nice the way it is now. Hopefully the changes are more stuff u dont notice and like someone else said, helps PC/tablet/ talk with the phone
    ven07, LLPO, hagjohn and 5 others like this.
    01-21-2015 05:50 PM
    Looks like Google is suddenly interested in docs handling
    TBH I would only use Google docs, if I was in a jam and had no other option whatsoever xd
    01-21-2015 05:53 PM
    Here's the entire presentation again on demand. You can fast forward to windows phone bits if you'd like. We're definitely listening to your feedback -- can't wait to share the phone preview with you all :)

Windows 10: The Next Chapter
    01-21-2015 05:57 PM
    can't wait to share the phone preview with you all :)
    We would be downloading and installing right now, if it were possible
    01-21-2015 05:58 PM
    I wrote this yesterday "Microsoft came out with a new phone with color 3 dimensional holographic display that was really cool" about a dream I had.. Makes me wonder if that dream was more of a premonition. All in all the presentation had a few interesting aspects but as they said development is still in diapers and it will take a few months as it matures before we really get a grasp on what the new system can do. As others have said probably around wmc.
    01-21-2015 06:01 PM
    We're definitely listening to your feedback -- can't wait to share the phone preview with you all
    Make that into a big sign and fly it over the Super Bowl. Coincidentally, the game's on Feb. 1st. Wink, wink.
    ven07, a5cent and Laura Knotek like this.
    01-21-2015 06:02 PM
    The new versions of Office look great, really excited to get most of the features from the desktop version. Hopefully it allows for the creation of new PowerPoints though.

​And the actionable messaging toasts... simply awesome.
    ven07 and snowmutt like this.
    01-21-2015 06:02 PM
    I must say I was blown away by tge awesomeness we saw today, but for phones I felt like too litttle was changed. I really hope to see some UI changes while keeping it in the same style. The full background with no transparent tiles looks extremely ugly at least, so I hope that gets changed
    techiez likes this.
    01-21-2015 06:15 PM
    Some pretty cool improvements shown today but I really hope they don't make stupid UI regressions...
    01-21-2015 06:31 PM
    Did anybody notice Joe replying to a text while still in the settings menu? He didn't have to leave the application and briefly switch to messaging. Messaging was overlaid on top of the current app! Brilliant!
    Still playing catch up though, iOS8 had had this for a while now. Still, good to have the feature.
    01-21-2015 06:37 PM
    Still playing catch up though, iOS8 had had this for a while now. Still, good to have the feature.
    Yes, but if you're in the middle of any type of messaging and a phone call comes in, the dialer app just took center stage. As usual, webOS had the best system because you got 2 options in the notifications at the bottom of the screen. Accept or ignore without losing your "place in line".
    snowmutt, Laura Knotek and ven07 like this.
    01-21-2015 06:45 PM
    Including the phone in the Windows 10 experience is the best news. I'll live with whatever changes I have to learn for the new OS if I can have that seamless across all devices experience. Also want a single store. And hope their promise to developers of a single build for all Windows devices really delivers.

Microsoft's capacity to go from enterprise to my cell phone is the next killer app.
    snowmutt and ven07 like this.
    01-21-2015 06:47 PM
    I enjoyed the entire presentation. It looks like Microsoft is really trying to go places. With that being said; the PC/tablet stuff was awesome as was the Xbox stuff. The experimental stuff was... Unique interested to see where its headed. The stuff for phone didn't really blow me away, the UI was only marginally updated at most (good, I definitely didn't believe they were gonna go full blown UI refresh). I like the amazing fluidity that Windows 10 is going to offer between Microsoft products, unfortunately however that does nothing to fix the app situation for phones. Sure it makes it easier for devs to write the apps for it but that's not a solid guarantee that they will, if snapchat still doesn't want to write an app then there's still no app. The good thing though is it seems that a lot of these "features" seem to be "services" that Microsoft will likely offer on competing platforms (e.g. the Xbox app on W10 is probably what smartglass is going to turn into on other platforms) so it'll be easier to still own an iPhone and keep the ability to use Microsoft services and have a good mobile experience.

Yes, but if you're in the middle of any type of messaging and a phone call comes in, the dialer app just took center stage.
    Right but we don't know if that's how Windows 10 will handle it as well. Luckily for us were here to give feedback regarding this scenario ;)
    Last edited by Guytronic; 01-21-2015 at 10:06 PM.
    snowmutt and portalfocus like this.
    01-21-2015 06:56 PM
    The only feature i want is to be able to read and send SMS messages from my PC... i hope that happens.
    portalfocus likes this.
    01-21-2015 07:12 PM
    The only feature i want is to be able to read and send SMS messages from my PC... i hope that happens.

A feature inexplicably removed from Windows 8.
    01-21-2015 07:29 PM
155 123 ...