Windows 10 for phone is a paid update?

anon(9226130)

Dec 11, 2014
Visit site
The thread name is: Windows 10 to be free upgrade for first year for users of (Win 7, 8, 8.1) AND WINDOWS PHONE 8.1. So Windows 10 for phone is free for 1 year and we must buy the OS when the one year offer expired? What!? I don't want to pay for the update. Please be free for phone.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Do not worry you don't need to pay for it on your phone. Please read the article again and not only the header.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
No thats not how it works. If u upgrade to W10 with in one year of release it will then be free forever but for some reason u fail to upgrade before 1 year of release then u need to buy it.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
You got it wrong. I am 1000% sure that the windows 10 will be free for phone. As for the pc, tablets I am not sure

He indeed is but that happens with people who only read the header.
For PC and tablets on windows 7, 8 and 8.1 the update will be free if you update within the first year of the official release.

ShreyansShah

Aug 12, 2013
Visit site
No thats not how it works. If u upgrade to W10 with in one year of release it will then be free forever but for some reason u fail to upgrade before 1 year of release then u need to buy it.

i don't think so. what i understand is, u can get the upgrade (from win 7, 8.1 or phone) to win 10 is free.
then the updates in 1st year is free. then after, the updates are chargeable on yearly basis.
this is because, MSFT has planned not to launch any further win version. win 10 shall be the last of it. after that, there will be updates only.

Athull

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
i don't think so. what i understand is, u can get the upgrade (from win 7, 8.1 or phone) to win 10 is free.
then the updates in 1st year is free. then after, the updates are chargeable on yearly basis.
this is because, MSFT has planned not to launch any further win version. win 10 shall be the last of it. after that, there will be updates only.

Nope, here quote from the WP central article.
"Microsoft announced that customers running Windows 7, Windows 8.1, and Windows Phone 8.1 will all be eligible for free upgrades to Windows 10. Free upgrades will be available to users running those systems for the first year of Windows 10, and users will get updates for the supported lifetime of their device."

Key word "gets update for lifetime of supported devices and not just the first year"
Link to article.

Windows 10 to be free upgrade for first year for users of Windows 7 and 8.1, Windows Phone 8.1 | Windows Central

Zapella Tiago

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Here's the thing: update your PC and Phone before one year after the release, and you will be happy forever with your Free Windows 10 copy and will receive updates and new features normally.

Joseph Avena

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
The business model on how they will make money is by getting us into the cloud...OneDrive as the basis of increased productivity accross devices with the same look, feel and fuctionality accross devices.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnsa3