The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-05-2016 10:12 AM
89 1234
tools
    Why on earth would you want an x86 cpu on a phone?

The snapdragon socs are more than capable in terms of compute or graphics processing.

With the new versions of office and the advent of small tablets running full blown windows makes this whole discussion pointless. Not to mention you open up a new avenue for malware...

If you really need to use PC applications on your phone use remote desktop / splashtop.
    01-23-2015 03:32 PM
    At any rate. I still believe we will see a 6in phablet running an Intel Atom (Cherry Trail) Z3580 Quad-Core SoC with 4GBs of RAM and 64/128GBs of storage. Just my opinion. As for this desktop on the phone? Well there won't be any. But it will be on your monitor when you dock the phone.
    WNxAshik and psudotechzealot like this.
    01-23-2015 03:52 PM
    Whatever the next Lumia high end phone brings I'll be happy to give my money if it's as fast (or really close as fast) as my M8
    01-23-2015 04:32 PM
    I absolutely feel that the next Lumia 6in phablet should feature the Intel Cherry Trail SoC. This would give us a true tablet/phone hybrid. So the only thing I would change in your Revolutionary Pro One is to make it a 6in device. All the other specs look good.

Edit: Also as for the standard device higher then 1080p on a 5in device is unnecessary in my opinion.
    While I agree and also think that's 100% true as far as functionality goes, it's about consumer perception. If they push out a device with a 1080p screen, everyone will see the sea of phones with 2K screens and immediately say that the 1080p is inferior. That's a reason why they need to keep up with the specs.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-23-2015 04:35 PM
    I love the concave idea! Curved displays are possible now, but basically a gimmick.
    I think the things people are looking for are 1) amazing camera (which flagship Lumias have), and 2) battery life.
    Since you can't really accomplish much optical zoom in a phone cam, you take the PureView 41 megapixel, with all of its bulky thickness, and allow its detailed image capture to let you zoom in after the fact. You put that thick bulky camera in a top corner of the phone where it is thickest, instead of in the middle of the phone. You also use that thick-at-the-edges, concave shape to cram in extra battery all throughout the phone. And the gently sloped concavity feels good wrapping around your face during the rare occasions when you hold it up to talk.
    01-23-2015 04:51 PM
    I love the concave idea! Curved displays are possible now, but basically a gimmick.
    I think the things people are looking for are 1) amazing camera (which flagship Lumias have), and 2) battery life.
    Since you can't really accomplish much optical zoom in a phone cam, you take the PureView 41 megapixel, with all of its bulky thickness, and allow its detailed image capture to let you zoom in after the fact. You put that thick bulky camera in a top corner of the phone where it is thickest, instead of in the middle of the phone. You also use that thick-at-the-edges, concave shape to cram in extra battery all throughout the phone. And the gently sloped concavity feels good wrapping around your face during the rare occasions when you hold it up to talk.
    That sounds like an awful idea...thick edges getting thinner towards the center? That sounds horribly awkward and uncomfortable
    01-23-2015 04:56 PM
    I feel like these specs like 2k/4k resolutions, 3/4 GB of RAM, Intel x86 processors only serve to raise prices and reduce battery life as opposed to actually adding tangible functionality. If we aren't going to get true x86 functions on phones, what's the point?

​I shouldn't have to pay $50 more for a flagship with a higher resolution screen and not even notice the difference (which I most certainly won't... but you always have those people going "But look at the enhanced clarity! 4k ftw brah 1080 sux.")
    01-23-2015 05:12 PM
    I would not be against an Intel x86 processor in my phone. BUT! It must have the capability to either become a laptop or tablet or connect to a display then I could find the processor actually useful in a phone. Otherwise it would be pointless.
    01-23-2015 05:23 PM
    Seriously! Why x86 when Atom is good enough (ignore if you're talking about any x86). I think Xeon is the contender here!
    01-23-2015 05:26 PM
    Atom is good enough as you say. But some of the New Broadwell Chips are pretty efficient. So it might be possible for a Broadwell M chip or maybe an i3. An i5 might be overkill for the phone battery heck and i3 would give the battery a run for it's money still. LOL at the xeon comment. If they can get that to work I would be impressed.
    01-23-2015 05:37 PM
    At any rate. I still believe we will see a 6in phablet running an Intel Atom (Cherry Trail) Z3580 Quad-Core SoC with 4GBs of RAM and 64/128GBs of storage. Just my opinion. As for this desktop on the phone? Well there won't be any. But it will be on your monitor when you dock the phone.
    Motorola tried that with webtop, that didn't go to well.
    01-23-2015 05:39 PM
    Lol. Android syndrome here. I understand why so many android users dream about smartphone on desktop windows, but this is silly and never be happen. However! Microsoft can make new 'Handheld PC', something like HP Jornada 720.
    Last edited by Arhitecter; 01-23-2015 at 06:15 PM.
    Ma Rio likes this.
    01-23-2015 05:40 PM
    While I agree and also think that's 100% true as far as functionality goes, it's about consumer perception. If they push out a device with a 1080p screen, everyone will see the sea of phones with 2K screens and immediately say that the 1080p is inferior. That's a reason why they need to keep up with the specs.
    Thing is there are currently NO 5in devices using a 2k screen. But I'm all for that on larger devices.
    01-23-2015 05:45 PM
    an overpowered and highly possible overpriced phone like WNxAshik suggesting is definitely not what I want from the next Microsoft Lumia flagship

and two flagships? lol, that's a big loss of money for Microsoft
    01-23-2015 05:47 PM
    Motorola tried that with webtop, that didn't go to well.
    WebTop is an application so I'm not sure what that has to do with what we are talking about here.
    01-23-2015 05:49 PM
    I feel like these specs like 2k/4k resolutions, 3/4 GB of RAM, Intel x86 processors only serve to raise prices and reduce battery life as opposed to actually adding tangible functionality. If we aren't going to get true x86 functions on phones, what's the point?
    That is the point. It's a smartphone while you're on the go. But when you dock it it's a full PC. Open up your mind a bit.
    01-23-2015 05:52 PM
    That is the point. It's a smartphone while you're on the go. But when you dock it it's a full PC. Open up your mind a bit.
    a 6" or less full PC?
    wow, how comfy
    01-23-2015 05:56 PM
    an overpowered and highly possible overpriced phone like WNxAshik suggesting is definitely not what I want from the next Microsoft Lumia flagship
    Not overpowered for a full PC and as for price. And from what I remember from the CES announcement the Asus ZenFone 2 with similar specs was very reasonably priced.
    psudotechzealot likes this.
    01-23-2015 05:59 PM
    a 6" or less full PC?
    wow, how comfy
    As I said open up that small little mind of yours. Get the phone home or to the office. Plug it into a dock which is attached to your mouse, keyboard and 24in monitor.

smdh
    WNxAshik likes this.
    01-23-2015 06:01 PM
    All Microsoft have to do is release a Lumia 1020 successor with a snapdragon 810 and 2015 is theirs. Seriously
    Arhitecter and bijak_riyandi like this.
    01-23-2015 06:11 PM
    Thing is there are currently NO 5in devices using a 2k screen. But I'm all for that on larger devices.

But you'd have to think all the flagships in 2015 would probably have it. Seems to be the way things are going
    01-23-2015 06:18 PM
    As I said open up that small little mind of yours. Get the phone home or to the office. Plug it into a dock which is attached to your mouse, keyboard and 24in monitor.

smdh
    ​Why on earth would I plug my phone into a dock connected to a monitor when I already have a desktop plugged into it that can perform tasks far more efficiently than my phone can?
    01-23-2015 06:32 PM
    WebTop is an application so I'm not sure what that has to do with what we are talking about here.
    It was more than just an application.

01-23-2015 06:56 PM
    If they make a 1020 successor with updated specs that is widely available, I will be happy.
    colinkiama likes this.
    01-23-2015 07:45 PM
    ​Why on earth would I plug my phone into a dock connected to a monitor when I already have a desktop plugged into it that can perform tasks far more efficiently than my phone can?
    Then you wouldn't need to buy this phone would you?

smdh
    psudotechzealot likes this.
    01-23-2015 07:51 PM
89 1234