The Windows 10 April 2018 update has arrived! Get the new Dell XPS 15, starting at $999.99
12-05-2016 10:12 AM
89 1234
tools
    It was more than just an application.

It's an App for the Moto Atrix and is nothing like what I'm talking about which is a full phone/tablet hybrid which performs as a smartphone undocked but becomes a full X86 Windows PC when docked.
    WNxAshik likes this.
    01-23-2015 07:56 PM
    It's an App for the Moto Atrix and is nothing like what I'm talking about which is a full phone/tablet hybrid which performs as a smartphone undocked but becomes a full X86 Windows PC when docked.
    If it was an "app" as you put it then the compute power to run everything in emulated environment would have been immense much more than the dual core soc in the Motorola Atrix.

Regardless I doubt some of you really understand the ramifications what you are asking, in principle once a person becomes heavily invested on a device via personal data let alone corporate data then that device becomes priceless. Therefore irreplaceable, so if it was to become lost or stolen then more is lost than personal photos, music and contacts.

In this digital era, people are scanning & saving documents on their pc such as statements, tax return documents, passports, driving licenses etc in the place of a dupelicate paper copy.

So if a person saved all that on their sole computing device, in this case their phone... you can imagine the consequences would be beyond devastating.
    01-23-2015 08:18 PM
    I'm done with the stupidity in this thread.
    psudotechzealot likes this.
    01-23-2015 08:24 PM
    A phone is a phone, and a pc is a pc. All these spec wars boil down to people wanting their phone to replace their computer. It's not going to happen and any attempt at this point would scorch your thigh while sitting in your pocket.
    EMINENT 1 likes this.
    01-23-2015 08:45 PM
    I just want awesome battery life. Which is not going to happen if they create an Android beast.

#1 thing people want on a phone is for it to run longer. That's a winner and marketable. 4GB RAM is not going to help with that.

To come out and say (for example) runs for 2 whole days of good use, 5 of low use. That'll get attention.
    TechFreak1 likes this.
    01-23-2015 09:01 PM
    A flagship with high-end specs and the Lumia 925's design, except slimmer. The Lumia 925 and 920 had the best designs imo. I wouldn't mind an improved Lumia 930, like the OP said though.
    Arhitecter likes this.
    01-23-2015 09:06 PM
    an overpowered and highly possible overpriced phone like WNxAshik suggesting is definitely not what I want from the next Microsoft Lumia flagship

and two flagships? lol, that's a big loss of money for Microsoft
    Look at ASUS Zenphone2 and its price, then comeback and tell me if these specs are gonna be overpriced.
    01-23-2015 09:15 PM
    I'm done with the stupidity in this thread.
    Get yourself a mirror
    01-23-2015 09:49 PM
    Look at ASUS Zenphone2 and its price, then comeback and tell me if these specs are gonna be overpriced.
    two brands with different level of recognition: you can't put a MICROSOFT flagship with an ASUS pricing

for a flagship, I couldn't care less about the specs as long as it runs better than normal and can hold updates for the next 2 or 3 years

seriously, 1080p, 3 GB RAM, with Snapdragon 805 is enough for me...
    but definitely not for Average Joe out there who are mostly spec-blinded noob
    Arhitecter likes this.
    01-23-2015 09:56 PM
    Look, a dockable x86 Lumia phone, that becomes a PC when you connect it to a monitor, is not going to happen, at least not this particular iteration of Windows on phones. The hardware just isn't there yet.

Five to ten years from now? Who knows.
    01-23-2015 10:08 PM
    Look, a dockable x86 Lumia phone, that becomes a PC when you connect it to a monitor, is not going to happen, at least not this particular iteration of Windows on phones. The hardware just isn't there yet.

Five to ten years from now? Who knows.
    Seriously? Small cheap tablets running x86 Windows exist now. It can't be that hard or expensive to add a LTE radio to such a design.
    JamesDax likes this.
    01-23-2015 10:40 PM
    Seriously? Small cheap tablets running x86 Windows exist now. It can't be that hard or expensive to add a LTE radio to such a design.
    Exactly, now if we pack an intel SOC, it could pretty much run a full windows10 when docked. This thread isn't about spec heavy flagships, its about a new device which could pretty much become a portable laptop in your pocket, Imagine having Windows 10 powerup that screen in your car, or the screen in your office, or the one at your home all from that phone you carry in your pocket. If the newer 14nm SOCs can hit the market early, MS could easily do that.

I don't understand why these stupid people are commenting about why there shouldn't be an intel SOC on a phone, That is not just a phone, its a machine that turns into a PC when docked, and so requires x86 architecture.

On the other hand, Cramming maximum specs onto the flagship ensures that future versions of the OS will also run smoothly on the device.
    My time machine tells me that a lot of Lumia 920 users are gonna be disappointed when win10 hits their phones, because that exflagship isn't fast enough for the new universal apps and the OS or that win10 is a battery hogger(since 920 has a 2000mah battery).

It doesn't take 5to10 years, Motorola's WebTop was a good idea, but the hardware wasn't yet ready. If MS could imply something similar and use x86 architecture, it would be a definite win. I proposed intel SOC because x86>>ARM in terms of performance.

And you can easily pack a 3000mah battery onto a 5" device btw and look what 930 has..
    01-23-2015 10:52 PM
    I don't think they bought Nokia's mobile phone team to put a run of the mill 20MP camera on their flagship smartphone. Nokia's bread and butter was photography, the camera has to be amazing on whatever flagship comes out.

I also don't understand what is the point of using an Intel chip if the OS version that runs on devices less than 8" has no access to legacy Windows programs. Docking is very niche and isn't really going to excite many people. You can dock 7" and 8" Atom tablets today, but how many people are tossing out their laptop or desktop for that solution. I'm not opposed to the idea as a feature, but I don't think it is a big selling point for the average person. The wow-factor isn't there because everyone already has a PC with a keyboard.

If they really want to impress and get some attention they should build a phone with no bezel, edge to edge display. Basically an iPhone 5.5" the size of an iPhone 4.7". It sounds crazy but it is doable. The total diagonal dimension of an iPhone 6 (4.7" model) is 6". The iPhone 6 body is bigger than the iPhone 6+ display. What a talking point it would be. Our big screen phone is smaller than Apple's little screen phone. Of course part of it is cheating, they would have to use on-screen buttons, but still. The TV commercials could hammer the competition on hardware design and specs. Hey Siri why the long face?
    Last edited by cool8man; 01-23-2015 at 11:17 PM.
    sahib lopez likes this.
    01-23-2015 11:03 PM
    I don't think they bought Nokia's mobile phone team to put a run of the mill 20MP camera on their flagship smartphone. Nokia's bread and butter was photography, the camera has to be amazing on whatever flagship comes out.

I also don't understand what is the point of using an Intel chip if the OS version that runs on devices less than 8" has no access to legacy Windows programs.

If they really want to impress and get some attention they should build a phone with no bezel, edge to edge display. Basically an iPhone 5.5" the size of an iPhone 4.7". It sounds crazy but it is doable. The total diagonal dimension of an iPhone 6 (4.7" model) is 6". The iPhone 6 body is bigger than the iPhone 6+ display. What a talking point it would be. Our big screen phone is smaller than Apple's little screen phone. Of course part of it is cheating, they would have to use on-screen buttons.
    If you have ever cared to read the OP properly, I stated that MS should be using a hybrid variant of Win10 which can output a desktop OS through HDMI when docked and run the normal ARM based OS when HDMI output isn't being used. This one is clearly for productive people. Not for the avg customer.

two brands with different level of recognition: you can't put a MICROSOFT flagship with an ASUS pricing

for a flagship, I couldn't care less about the specs as long as it runs better than normal and can hold updates for the next 2 or 3 years

seriously, 1080p, 3 GB RAM, with Snapdragon 805 is enough for me...
    but definitely not for Average Joe out there who are mostly spec-blinded noob
    My point was that, they could pack all of it and still price the device at 500-800$
    01-23-2015 11:10 PM
    I stated that MS should be using a hybrid variant of Win10 which can output a desktop OS through HDMI when docked and run the normal ARM based OS when HDMI output isn't being used. This one is clearly for productive people. Not for the avg customer.

My point was that, they could pack all of it and still price the device at 500-800$
    You responded before my edit. I said: Docking is very niche and isn't really going to excite many people. You can dock 7" and 8" Atom tablets today, but how many people are tossing out their laptop or desktop for that solution or even their iPad. I'm not opposed to the idea as a feature, but I don't think it is a big selling point for the average person. The wow-factor isn't there because everyone already has a PC with a keyboard. Then there's the issues of performance and storage having to house full Windows 10 on a smartphone. A big expense for a feature most people won't even use or will only use in a pinch. I'm not against partnering with Intel in phones and making this a standard feature on those devices long term. It might be a good idea, but I don't believe it's a big selling point to most people. They've optimized Windows for ARM to run on Qualcomm chips, it would probably not be trivial to have to optimize for Intel and then support both platforms with updates going forward.
    01-23-2015 11:19 PM
    You responded before my edit. I said: Docking is very niche and isn't really going to excite many people. You can dock 7" and 8" Atom tablets today, but how many people are tossing out their laptop or desktop for that solution. I'm not opposed to the idea as a feature, but I don't think it is a big selling point for the average person. The wow-factor isn't there because everyone already has a PC with a keyboard.
    It could be a hit in the enterprise sector. I mean BYOD is catching on like a plague in this sector. And that is the reason I Suggested 2 variants, one for the normal guys, other for the productive ones.
    01-23-2015 11:21 PM
    It could be a hit in the enterprise sector. I mean BYOD is catching on like a plague in this sector. And that is the reason I Suggested 2 variants, one for the normal guys, other for the productive ones.
    ​I wouldn't mind this (having a separate device or device line with such features) but I'd like them to also preserve a line dedicated to general purpose flagships that are a bit more affordable.

​But there's really no need to call us stupid... we're just content with the quality and features of devices as is. The only time I wouldn't be content is when cool new features that sound applicable to my daily life are released that require better specs than my device has.
    01-23-2015 11:41 PM
    ​I wouldn't mind this (having a separate device or device line with such features) but I'd like them to also preserve a line dedicated to general purpose flagships that are a bit more affordable.

​But there's really no need to call us stupid... we're just content with the quality and features of devices as is. The only time I wouldn't be content is when cool new features that sound applicable to my daily life are released that require better specs than my device has.
    I wouldn't call you stupid, but do read older comments and look at the stuff that others are posting.
    01-24-2015 12:00 AM
    I really hope they don't use a 2K display. 1080p is way more than good enough and it uses way less battery. OnePlus did it right IMO.
    OnePlus One was cheap, though.
    WNxAshik likes this.
    01-24-2015 01:43 AM
    I wouldn't call you stupid, but do read older comments and look at the stuff that others are posting.
    ​I did, thanks. Some agree, some disagree.
    01-24-2015 10:47 AM
    Snapdragon 810, 41mp camera, 5 inch 2k screen,sd card support and that's it Microsoft.

Sent from my awesome Lumia 735
    Last edited by colinkiama; 02-01-2015 at 11:22 AM.
    02-01-2015 09:39 AM
    I was thinking that MS should release 2 flagships like the Surface series.
    There should be 2 variants:
    The Standard One:
    Qualcomm SD 810 OctaCore 64-bit processor
    32GB onboard storage
    20MP camera and 5/8MP selfie cam
    3/4GB of RAM
    5" FHD/QHD Display(1080p/2k)
    3050mAH Battery with Quickcharge 2.0
    An evolved design from Lumia 930

The Revolutionary Pro One:
    Intel Atom Quadcore 64-bit or an ULV i5/i3 series processor (x86 architecture).
    64GB onboard storage
    20MP primary cam and 8MP selfie cam
    4/8GB of RAM
    5.5/6" QHD Display(2k)
    4080mAH Battery
    An evolved design from Surface Pro 3.
    MicroHDMI 2.0 support with output to 4k.
    Now the Revolutionary side:
    Since the device runs on x86, the device should be running a modded desktop/phone hybrid variant of Windows10. I mean when you use is as a phone, it runs on the phone UI. But If you give an output via HDMI, and connect a keyboard and mouse via Bluetooth or a dock, the device gives an output as a fully capable desktop OS, able to run legacy apps. The desktop variant will be in sync the phone apps and tasks.

It should be the merger of the gap between desktops and mobile devices. It will bring in a new era of devices where portability and productivity is in harmony.

If MS would ever do something like this, They would make windows10 an even cooler experience. And since the pro variant runs on x86, we could finally stream xbox one games onto it.

Comment your thoughts on it.
    But what to do with enough power on windows phone...do we have worth games....its just like an alienware 18 with Mac os.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    02-01-2015 09:44 AM
    They should simply release a surface looking phone ... A sliding keyboard would look sexy imo
    02-01-2015 09:56 AM
    I completely agree with you, anything more than 326 ppi density is useless. But considering that android flags with 2k display isn't hogging battery(thnx to 810's 4 low power cores), I don't think MS should leave the display specs to yesteryear's best.
    A number of years ago, Panasonic decided to have one product buck the meaningless trend toward higher and higher megapixel sensors and instead product a camera with really good optics. The Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1 camera was amazing because it had only 8 megapixels and really good lenses. The new LX100 has just 13 megapixels with a large 4/3" sensor and more good lenses. That's 62% more pixels, but 450% more sensor area, letting each photoreceptor take in much more light. Some specs are worth fighting for, some are not.

Let Microsoft declare that the general "higher is better" specs race is stupid. I want Microsoft to focus on the things that matter in producing a really good smartphone. If humans don't need more than 1920x1080 in 5", don't put it in a phone. If the phone won't really benefit from 4GB RAM, don't put it in a phone. If those 8 cores reduce battery life without improving utility, don't put them in a phone, but if they do improve utility, keep them in. Give users a smaller/thinner, longer-lasting product that's cheaper and works better than what everyone else is selling.
    02-01-2015 01:09 PM
    I think you're on the right track, but Windows Phone has never been about having the best specs just so a victory flag can be raised for a month or two.

That said, I'd love a hybrid phone that could turn into a desktop with miracast to a monitor and wireless Bluetooth keyboard. But we aren't quite there yet. Nobody wants a phone with a short battery life. Real world numbers are not matching what Intel is claiming for their most efficient chips. One day...but not today.
    02-07-2015 09:24 AM
89 1234