"Hey Cortana" on all mobile devices

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
No, from what I understand passive listening like that requires certain special low-power processing hardware to listen to audio the whole time (which would devour your battery on a phone without that hardware). New software can't get around the hardware limitation.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
No, from what I understand passive listening like that requires certain special low-power processing hardware to listen to audio the whole time (which would devour your battery on a phone without that hardware). New software can't get around the hardware limitation.

100% correct.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
It's also country and regional market dependant. My country the Netherlands doesnt naturally get Cortana. It's part of the west-european market, I have not see or touched Cortana first came online. We even didnt have Tell Me back in windows 7. And yes it apparantly is also very device dependant.

I think and even more relevant issue with Cortana is that they only support 7 languages now, maybe up to 25 later, but it's not enough. When windows 10 is available for all mobile devices that can support Cortana, I hope that microsoft will also have speechlanguage packs ready for all languages. Otherwise Cortana will be quite a handicaped device, because of recogntion errors in foreign names, geographical locations and local custosm in humor and expressions. The English laguage pack can not cover all of that, and many also can not speak perfect english. If microsoft also wants an affrodable windows phone device in developing nations, they still have a lot of work to do with Cortana. I do not think that Cortana will be a priveleged service for everyone as they would like us to believe.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
In theory that's true, but I don't see why Microsoft doesn't add the feature for while your device is charging.

Interesting idea, with wireless chargers on desks and in cars making it convenient to have it charging a lot of the time, that might work and be useful. I could even have hey cortana sometimes while my phone is in the 1020 camera case. But I don't know if they'd do it, since it might make for an inconsistent experience, make the GPS battery drain that can go faster than the car charger even worse, kill your portable battery charger fast, etc. They should maybe offer it as an option though.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Interesting idea, with wireless chargers on desks and in cars making it convenient to have it charging a lot of the time, that might work and be useful. (...) They should maybe offer it as an option though.

Yeah, Apple apparently does it the way I mentioned (hands-free activation while plugged in), and I definitely would like that my 1020 as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05