How to fix hamburger menu for one-handed use

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
(yes I know, another thread on the not-so-popular hamburger menu, but please hear me out)

First off, this is not a post arguing for the use of hamburger menu. I agree hamburger menus are a terrible design choice for phones. They are terrible for one-handed use. With that said, I think all Microsoft first-party apps should not use hamburgers and use the Metro UI established convention of ellipses at the bottom instead.

Inevitably however, there'll be third party apps that chooses to use the hamburger menu some reason or other (maybe they are porting from iOS/android). Today we already have a few apps like that, such as Spotify and Tapatalk etc. So that got me thinking about how to improve the usability for those apps that insist on using the hamburger menu?

I came up with this idea in the "official hamburger" thread, which I've now created a uservoice suggestion for: Fix hamburger menu for one hand use. To summarize here, the idea is to build into the hamburger menu control the following 2 behaviours:

1. In addition to pressing on the hamburger icon, the menu must be revealable with a swipe in from the left edge of the screen.
2. The menu itself must have wraparound scrolling, so you can swipe up to make actions at the top of the menu appear at the bottom where you can easily access them.

If you agree with me on this idea, please support it on uservoice, thanks!

misterff1

Feb 16, 2012
Visit site
Tbh I think it's very understandable that there's a hamburgermenu. Everyone knows how to use those and since they are universal apps, you cant use hamburger on one and ellipes on the other. Maybe not 100% on-topic, but I just needed to say this :)

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I've got a simpler fix. Move the hamburger to the right of the screen! It is perfectely reachable on that side, and it would be really easy to implement.

anon(5325154)

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
it's simple, keep metro ui

That's ideal of course, as I said all first-party apps definitely should, and third-party apps should whenever possible.

But if the third-party apps insist on using the hamburger menu, this is to ensure they do it in a way that's usable for one handed use

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
1. In addition to pressing on the hamburger icon, the menu must be revealable with a swipe in from the left edge of the screen.

This is pretty much a standard in these style of menu's already. A lot of Android (and I'd guess iOS) apps work just this way. So its safe to say this is a given. Calm down until the Preview for phones releases and you actually get hands on. You can't make usability suggestions on a UI you haven't used yet.

The old dated Metro "tab" style of menu works against what Microsoft is working towards, a universal app ecosystem that presents a familiar and functional user experience across all devices.

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I've got a simpler fix. Move the hamburger to the right of the screen! It is perfectely reachable on that side, and it would be really easy to implement.

Don't forget the lefties. They still make up a fair part of users. A simple switch function in the app settings would suffice.

A hamburger menu and as a backup a swipe from the left edge would be confusing as many windows phone apps have a continuous pivot page scrolling from the left and right edge. If that is going to be the case then I think it's high time microsoft introduces guidelines, otherwise windows phone apps for windows 10 are going to be a confusing hodge podge of swipe movements. Perhaps good for degrees of freedom, but it will make the end user experience for the average user a poorer one, regardless of the statement that "everybody knows how the hamburger button or android works".

Guidelines may be restricting and "boring", but consistency also provides a good experience in the long-run. Why: because it's familiar and reliable...just like the hamburger button has become over time.

My preference If (big if) the new menu will be the hamburger icon, I would prefer it at the bottom, for the argument of a more ergenomic and efficient one handed use.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site

Seriously? There's a "Windows feedback" app built into the Preview Builds, use it...no one from Microsoft is looking at Change.org to collect user thoughts & feedback. Also, provide useful feedback & suggestions, not only complaints. The old "metro" found within WP isn't going to provide a consistent & functional user experience on tablets and desktops, which is the whole idea behind universal apps, not just the fact that it CAN RUN on all devices.

KarmaEcrivain94

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Seriously? There's a "Windows feedback" app built into the Preview Builds, use it...no one from Microsoft is looking at Change.org to collect user thoughts & feedback. Also, provide useful feedback & suggestions, not only complaints. The old "metro" found within WP isn't going to provide a consistent & functional user experience on tablets and desktops, which is the whole idea behind universal apps, not just the fact that it CAN RUN on all devices.
The point is that you change the burger everywhere. When on a desktop, you've got a burger to the left or bottom, when on mobile/tablet, you get a burger left or bottom. If you had actually read the petition, you would have seen I am suggesting two things: Move the burger to the left or bottom, or extend the functionality of the app bar.

Also, change.org is for petitions, not suggestions.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
A petition is going to get your ideas seen by Microsoft... Which is the entire point of the feedback app. The is a "Me too" button within each suggestion submitted, if enough people agree with you may get Microsoft's attention....kind sir. I'm trying to point you in the right direction of you want to be "heard" by the right people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa