All oses look the same now

wpcontinue

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Visit site
So after panoramas and typography is gone, Microsoft obviously want its OS to appeal to Android and iOS devs nad except the start screen with BIG ICONS (still called tiles), that are sometimes live and in motion and sometimes not, but mostly uninformative now theres this picture of OneNote

http://officeblogswest.blob.core.windows.net/wp-content/2015/01/OneNote_UI_900x530.png

So hamburgers left aside, now there are also these floating circular buttons in the lower right corner (the + button). Now my question is why should anyone consider buying a WP when it is nothing more than iOS or Android? In terms of performance.. well Loading/Resuming? In terms of design, obviously nothing new. And in terms of apps.. I won't even bring that on.

(If you try to put Cortana as an advantage over Siri or GNow, ok it maybe better, but seriously.. who actually uses these personal assistant bullsh*t?? No one ever talks or yells like an moron to his phone..)

Gautam Kabiraj

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree with you to some extent. I don't really see where Microsoft's modern theme is going to. Modern style *was* an interesting distinguishable style of Windows Phone, that was supposed to be blessed by the likes of PC and mobile consumers worldwide. But despite all hopes and efforts, Windows 8/8.1 (note that I'm not talking about the phone segment here), didn't see much excitement among its users to upgrade (it helped in other fields, though!). That's a fact. In addition to that, its difficulty in usability faced by desktop users who adopted it didn't seem to please them much. However, that's the story with the PC/tablet versions and its understandable why they're making Windows 10 more 'desktop-friendly' with overhauled UI in the next update.

But, I don't understand why Microsoft is slowly killing the Panoramic / Hubs UI from its phone branch. Is it difficult for developers to build apps based on the UI? Or the unique style is nothing more than an alienated concept that people don't like? First, they killed that awesome Photos hub from WP8.0 in WP8.1. Same with the games hub. And then the People's hub. Now OneDrive (by the return of Hamburger menu and the design of the app itself that was protested by users to be changed back), new settings page in Windows 10 for phones...... Wait, there are more that needn't to be mentioned here. I don't want to but say, WP's 'uniqueness' in UI is slowly being killed in favor of what the other two OSes have been using already (Maybe to please developers?). You can deny, of course. But it's a fact.

(If you try to put Cortana as an advantage over Siri or GNow, ok it maybe better, but seriously.. who actually uses these personal assistant bullsh*t?? No one ever talks or yells like an moron to his phone..)

Seriously? Come on! There used to be a time when these virtual personal assistants were nothing more than a show-piece / gimmick to your friends. But time has changed significantly. If you ain't using Cortana, trust me, you're missing a lot of things and probably doing some unnecessary hard work on your phone, which if done by Cortana could save you more time.

Last edited:

LumiaWorld

May 31, 2013
Visit site
I think the Panoramas will still be there, but they will not be as 'obvious' as they were. The hamburger button is the new trend for Microsoft...

alex athanasopoulos

Sep 14, 2013
Visit site
Wait a few months when the preview builts are more mature and then we will see where the modern UI goes. I think its still early to judge, but use your concern on a more creative way (use the uservoice to change things, MSFT now listen to us).

About the hamburgers that are everywhere, they are useful, but I know that we don't like them. We should ask them to change the icon to something different, that way we have the usability and one android thing less.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Now my question is why should anyone consider buying an iOS or Android when it is nothing more than a WP.

Android: Simply because it is more functional, feature friendly and yes it is fast without resuming. And yes I'm a WP supporter but I'm not going to be biased about it.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Anyways The 🍔 where's the top world problem? The 🍔 is simply well established icon that is known to represent app settings without even thinking about it. And it's much better than bottom action button bar than stacks onto the on-screen buttons, keyboard and so on.

Gautam Kabiraj

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Anyways The �� where's the top world problem? The �� is simply well established icon that is known to represent app settings without even thinking about it. And it's much better than bottom action button bar than stacks onto the on-screen buttons, keyboard and so on.
The hamburger button?
The problem with it is that, it's barely reachable during single-handed operation. Not everyone has big hands, nor small phone displays. The issue becomes more popular with ever increased smartphone display size nowadays. That's why, I for one, still prefer the three dots ". . ." at the bottom right of the screen stack menu as found in WP8.x apps (except OneDrive).

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
The hamburger button?
The problem with it is that, it's barely reachable during single-handed operation. Not everyone has big hands, nor small phone displays. The issue becomes more popular with ever increased smartphone display size nowadays. That's why, I for one, still prefer the three dots ". . ." at the bottom right of the screen stack menu as found in WP8.x apps (except OneDrive).

Yeah I know, I know.. But it's so overreacted.. *hardly reachable* thingy, one-handed use - do you really do that, that often.

However I think there could be a way to keep the dots - which I think is better than copy the 🍔 and keep it at the bottom without making useless space like now.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Because they have more and quality apps. Also a consistent user interface. Don't show loading and resuming things. Android for customizations.

IOS correct but you pay a hefty premium for that.

Android correct but for this customisation you get bloatware and possible viruses back.

Last edited:

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
IOS correct but you pay a hefty premium for that.

Android correct but for this customisation you can get viruses back.

What virus. I don't even know how people get viruses on Android. Must install some really random apps. Anyways there is plenty of AntiVirus apps so you're safe. They find any suspicious apps and warns you what kind of permissions they have, uninstalls them immediately.

Gautam Kabiraj

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I know, I know.. But it's so overreacted.. *hardly reachable* thingy, one-handed use - do you really do that, that often.

However I think there could be a way to keep the dots - which I think is better than copy the �� and keep it at the bottom without making useless space like now.

Overreacted? Maybe. But I guess you got my point.
If you're against the idea, please vote here :)
Keep all the Menu/Navigation Buttons at the bottom in Windows 10 for Phones

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
What virus. I don't even know how people get viruses on Android. Must install some really random apps. Anyways there is plenty of AntiVirus apps so you're safe. They find any suspicious apps and warns you what kind of permissions they have, uninstalls them immediately.

Indeed you proved my point. There are virus scanners for android. But non for windows phone because windows phone does not need them at all.
By the way I deed not write that every android has viruses but it is possible to "get" them.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Indeed you proved my point. There are virus scanners for android. But non for windows phone because windows phone does not need them at all.
By the way I deed not write that every android has viruses but it is possible to "get" them.

Yeah. But I guess that is subject to change.. You know "Hackers" follow where the crowd is.. 1 thing positive about that? WP actually being crowded ;)

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Overreacted? Maybe. But I guess you got my point.
If you're against the idea, please vote here :)
Keep all the Menu/Navigation Buttons at the bottom in Windows 10 for Phones

I'll vote. But to be honest I don't want buttons on any side xD The cool thing would be charm bars.. To bad they are "too complicated" to understand and not useful in every app.

Anyways I understand why they use buttons on the top. Apps are universal and people prefer buttons on the top on the PC.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Yeah. But I guess that is subject to change.. You know "Hackers" follow where the crowd is.. 1 thing positive about that? WP actually being crowded ;)

Maybe but until now no Lumia is ever "hacked". But the point was that the advantage of an android is customization. And for customization you need an "open" OS (= "vulnerable" for viruses) and windows is a closed OS (= "not vulnerable for viruses).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750