All oses look the same now

Jose_Rey

Aug 11, 2012
Visit site
What virus. I don't even know how people get viruses on Android. Must install some really random apps. Anyways there is plenty of AntiVirus apps so you're safe. They find any suspicious apps and warns you what kind of permissions they have, uninstalls them immediately.

Why would they have AntiVirus software if there were no viruses? Does WP have that or iOS?

I remember I searched the web for something and a link I clicked on said my system was at risk and wanted to install some antivirus software. Obviously I declined and made sure that "allow apps from unknown sources" wasn't checked. It was a new phone (Fire Phone), how could've I had gotten a virus?

Anyways, my point is there is and if I didn't know any better I would've installed that. I do my best not to install apps from devs I don't know. But there are some apps that I want or need from them, though it does scare me a bit. That doesn't really happen on WP. Not really trying to bash Android. Personally, I would be getting my apps from Amazon, unless they're not available there in which case, I'd be going to the play store.

Getting back to the subject at hand... Live Tiles seem to be the biggest differentiator for me. I'm working on getting a Note 3 ATM. But I know Live Tiles will be my most missed feature.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Metro has too many flaws, and It's one of the causes of the failure of WP and Windows 8. These changes are needed

The best moment for Metro was when WP7 was introduced at MWC, since then it has been all downhill.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
Why would they have AntiVirus software if there were no viruses? Does WP have that or iOS?

I remember I searched the web for something and a link I clicked on said my system was at risk and wanted to install some antivirus software. Obviously I declined and made sure that "allow apps from unknown sources" wasn't checked. It was a new phone (Fire Phone), how could've I had gotten a virus?

Anyways, my point is there is and if I didn't know any better I would've installed that. I do my best not to install apps from devs I don't know. But there are some apps that I want or need from them, though it does scare me a bit. That doesn't really happen on WP. Not really trying to bash Android. Personally, I would be getting my apps from Amazon, unless they're not available there in which case, I'd be going to the play store.

Getting back to the subject at hand... Live Tiles seem to be the biggest differentiator for me. I'm working on getting a Note 3 ATM. But I know Live Tiles will be my most missed feature.

Yeah I always try to "widgetize" my screen to look like Livetiles.. But it doesn't suit there that well :)

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I'll vote. But to be honest I don't want buttons on any side xD The cool thing would be charm bars.. To bad they are "too complicated" to understand and not useful in every app.

Anyways I understand why they use buttons on the top. Apps are universal and people prefer buttons on the top on the PC.

If I could, I'd love to have charms on my phone. :D

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Metro has too many flaws, and It's one of the causes of the failure of WP and Windows 8. These changes are needed

The best moment for Metro was when WP7 was introduced at MWC, since then it has been all downhill.

These changes are needed...

What changes would you suggest? Don't know if I would agree with your changes but would love to see what you see as specific changes to make.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
These changes are needed...

What changes would you suggest? Don't know if I would agree with your changes but would love to see what you see as specific changes to make.

I think Metro helped a lot in promoting flat design in UIs, and removing useless chrome. In general, It's a beautiful design language, but It has many problems:

The use of typography and white space to differentiate the function of the text is not a good idea because space is scarce in mobile devices.
I think Metro was optimized for getting glances of information during the day, like traffic signs, easy to decode with just a glance. The problem is that smartphones became much more than that, in many cases It's the most important computing device for the user. People use them for complex tasks, want to see a lot on information, people got used to work with more information density. So, Metro is out of tune with the current usage pattern of smartphones.

They have to incorporate color as a way to differentiate functionality, instead of white space an typography. Increase the information density. Incorporate esthetic elements over boring but easy to read elements, the smartphone user choose a delightful UI over an boring/easy to read UI, specially when buying devices.

Other problem is the layout of the UI elements, It's so weird, unfamiliar, unexpected. I think they optimized single handed use. But single handed used is just impossible anymore with the big phones that people prefer today. Because, again, the smartphone is not that small accessory anymore, It's not a pager, a BalckBerry, It's the main content consumption device according to stats.

Metro is obsolete.

Last edited:

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I think Metro helped a lot in promoting flat design in UIs, and removing useless chrome. In general, It's a beautiful design language, but It has many problems:

The use of typography and white space to differentiate the function of the text is not a good idea because space is scarce in mobile devices.
I think Metro was optimized for getting glances of information during the day, like traffic signs, easy to decode with just a glance. The problem is that smartphones became much more than that, in many cases It's the most important computing device for the user. People use them for complex tasks, want to see a lot on information, people got used to work with more information density. So, Metro is out of tune with the current usage pattern of smartphones.

They have to incorporate color as a way to differentiate functionality, instead of white space an typography. Increase the information density. Incorporate esthetic elements over boring but easy to read elements, the smartphone user choose a delightful UI over an boring/easy to read UI, specially when buying devices.

Other problem is the layout of the UI elements, It's so weird, unfamiliar, unexpected. I think they optimized single handed use. But single handed used is just impossible anymore with the big phones that people prefer today. Because, again, the smartphone is not that small accessory anymore, It's not a pager, a BalckBerry, It's the main content consumption device according to stats.

Metro is obsolete.

Well, I think the opposite. Metro is more easy to use and as functional as other OS' UI. And also looks a lot better. I don't find UI elements weird, unexpected. They are at the right places, at the bottom, where they can be reached fast without much hassle.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

Using colors as a means of differentiation is a poor choice because about 8% of males have some sort of colour vision deficiency. At least that is what I was told at an entry level UI design course...

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Using colors as a means of differentiation is a poor choice because about 8% of males have some sort of colour vision deficiency. At least that is what I was told at an entry level UI design course...

You should avoid colors codes alone. An example of color coded information are traffic lights.
It's fine to use text as the main code, and color as a secondary cue to facilitate the interpretation.

Last edited:

Michael Gerullis

Jul 28, 2014
Visit site
I agree. It totally kills the ease of one handed use in many apps. Having to reach on top is horrible, I have a 930 and it is bad. (Even worse for 1520 users)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
First of all this is not a personal dig at you or your opinions, your entitled to them however the approach you are suggesting is just wrong lol. Let me explain.

So you would prefer if everything cramped was into one a single space therefore requiring more focus. If anything the Metro typography is perfect for phones as it is clear, easy to read and navigate.

Oh complex tasks... you mean this right?
wait I need to jump out of an app to do something,
then go into another do something else
and I need to hold a button, scroll through the icons,
find what I was using or close the other apps..

It took Apple to get to IOS 7 to get a decent task switcher. Whereas Windows phone had it since 7 (3 years prior, however the back stack was too confusing) and I'm well aware both took a few pages out of WebOS.

Increase the information density??

Bombarding a user with too much information in a confined space is far too overwhelming, especially in this day & age where people's attention span is no more equivalent to that of a goldfish.

Information needs to be displayed in a clear, crisp and concise manner combined with images or animations not sugar coated in candy fluorescent colours (some people are colour blind). Perhaps you have been playing too much Candy Crush :winktongue:.

So what about the ios layout on the 6+ how does that work for you?

If anything people are too accustomed to tapping for information instead of reading, the UI is not unfamiliar or unexpected - people don't like change and are far to focused on what they are comfortable with.

Metro is obsolete.

I wouldn't say it is obsolete, just diluted by the demands of users who want it to be IOS / Android-esque.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
First of all this is not a personal dig at you or your opinions, your entitled to them however the approach you are suggesting is just wrong lol. Let me explain.

So you would prefer if everything cramped was into one a single space therefore requiring more focus. If anything the Metro typography is perfect for phones as it is clear, easy to read and navigate.

Oh complex tasks... you mean this right?
wait I need to jump out of an app to do something,
then go into another do something else
and I need to hold a button, scroll through the icons,
find what I was using or close the other apps..

It took Apple to get to IOS 7 to get a decent task switcher. Whereas Windows phone had it since 7 (3 years prior, however the back stack was too confusing) and I'm well aware both took a few pages out of WebOS.

Increase the information density??

Bombarding a user with too much information in a confined space is far too overwhelming, especially in this day & age where people's attention span is no more equivalent to that of a goldfish.

Information needs to be displayed in a clear, crisp and concise manner combined with images or animations not sugar coated in candy fluorescent colours (some people are colour blind). Perhaps you have been playing too much Candy Crush :winktongue:.

So what about the ios layout on the 6+ how does that work for you?

If anything people are too accustomed to tapping for information instead of reading, the UI is not unfamiliar or unexpected - people don't like change and are far to focused on what they are comfortable with.

I wouldn't say it is obsolete, just diluted by the demands of users who want it to be IOS / Android-esque.

Exactly what I wanted to say. Sometimes I just don't find the right words to state what I want to say, maybe because my mothertongue is not English. Anyway, thanks!

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Anyway, I don't get one thing, if Microsoft wants one experience on all devices, that's why the hamburger menu and removal of pivots, why don't they allow us to keep the start screen on PCs then? Because on the phone, the main screen is Start screen and on a PC it is Desktop. So, how is this one experience across all devices?

And instead of introducing hamburger in PC version and slamming that on phones in the name of universal apps and one experience, why not just evolve Metro a bit and use it on PC? I mean make the header text in pivots a bit smaller on phones (because they have small real estate of screen), as in here, the tapatalk app.

SB5

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Anyway, I don't get one thing, if Microsoft wants one experience on all devices, that's why the hamburger menu and removal of pivots, why don't they allow us to keep the start screen on PCs then? Because on the phone, the main screen is Start screen and on a PC it is Desktop. So, how is this one experience across all devices?

And instead of introducing hamburger in PC version and slamming that on phones in the name of universal apps and one experience, why not just evolve Metro a bit and use it on PC? I mean make the header text in pivots a bit smaller on phones (because they have small real estate of screen), as in here, the tapatalk app.

Actually in the new build for windows 10 the start menu is expandable and has vertical scrolling instead of horizontal like the start screen. This kind of goes in line with windows phone's vertical scrolling on the start screen.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Actually in the new build for windows 10 the start menu is expandable and has vertical scrolling instead of horizontal like the start screen. This kind of goes in line with windows phone's vertical scrolling on the start screen.

But still, when I power on a Windows Phone, first I see is Start screen. While when I power on a PC, first I see is Desktop. It is not one experience. Horizontal or vertical scrolling doesn't matter as both have different oriented screens.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
i didnt see it yet, my start menu, modern apps, nor the notification center, work. so i guess i have to wait for a fix.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb