All oses look the same now

streifenleopard

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
I still don't understand why they introduced a notification centre. It is not in line with the tiles layout and they should have made a notification live tile to be configured totally at the user's disposal.
I also think it is a pity that the black background has disappeared from so many apps (ebay etc). I love it.

hagjohn

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Well, I think the opposite. Metro is more easy to use and as functional as other OS' UI. And also looks a lot better. I don't find UI elements weird, unexpected. They are at the right places, at the bottom, where they can be reached fast without much hassle.

I had less eye strain using Metro than I do with win10 9926. I could tell my eyes were starting to strain immediately. They went a long way from win7 to win8 but now they've gone too far back to win7. :(

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
I had less eye strain using Metro than I do with win10 9926. I could tell my eyes were starting to strain immediately. They went a long way from win7 to win8 but now they've gone too far back to win7. :(

Yes, Metro is perfect, easy to use and simple looking. It's pleasing to eyes and it makes us use the thing say PC or phone more because just that beautiful it looks. And minimalism is better actually, as you said, it doesn't strain eyes. Because Metro shows most relevant info and the info is showed at the right places, on right pages unlike cramming everything on one screen which makes things confusing.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Android, even with lollipop, is and just looks awful to me.

Ios is alright.

I choose windows phone over those two because I am already within the Microsoft ecosystem and I may as well have my phone and gaming connected together as a unit....and I have no real need to switch to another platform.

So there's your reason right there.

aerosidinc

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
do some research before you jump. google didn't invent that button. That button has been on One Note app for iPhone before google's material design,

Jorge Holguin

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
You guys know that MS will be bringing back some of the features from WP7 and WP8 the took out on WP8.1, right? No all of them will make a comeback but many will.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
The modern metro UI should stay EXACTLY the way is it, as it has proven to be a winning combination! Three percent market share! Keep the current design language and scare off dev's even further from a distance third place mobile OS. The thing that's so great about the current (dated) app design language...it stands a great chance of persuading even more large companies to pull their mobile apps (see Chase Bank).

I don't know what it is with you guys. The Windows Phone 7/8 "metro/modern" app design is really dated in 2015, it looked great when it debuted, but it's time has past. And with the position Microsoft is in, they are the last one's that should be going against the grain when it comes to UI design ---- 1) They are 3rd place in the mobile space 2) They tried in in 2012 and they delivered the failure known as Windows 8. If you want Windows Phone to succeed, welcome & embrace the change. We're not getting the old design back, so instead of complaining, suggest ways to make sure the updated design language provides a great experience on mobile devices. Microsoft can't continue down the road you guys want them to, or you'll be forced to use iOS or Android in a few years because there won't be a Windows Phone OS any more.

Besides...it's not like we're losing live tiles and the actual OS level UI.

Last edited:

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
I still don't understand why they introduced a notification centre. It is not in line with the tiles layout and they should have made a notification live tile to be configured totally at the user's disposal.
I also think it is a pity that the black background has disappeared from so many apps (ebay etc). I love it.

Live Tiles are hardly a "Notification" system. They provide "at a glance" information...and some times for information is a tad dated. A proper notification center provides detailed information about every app on the device --- a lot better than tiles flipping uncontrollably for a couple of seconds.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I don't think the OS's look the same at all. I have four devices right now. iPhone 6, Moto X 2nd Gen, Lumia 928 and Galaxy S5. They are all different. The iPhone is pretty much the least easy to customize and move around. My Lumia is by far the quickest and smoothest to jump in and out of email/text messging. So smooth.
The Androids are in the middle in terms of easy to use, but they are way more customizable if you are into that.

None of them really look the same.

Now, having One Note, and other office apps look the same across all platforms? That's genius I think.. pure genius. Why relearn a stupid interface when you go between models. Even more importantly, if you're in IT and you have to support Office 365 in a BYOD environment, you sure as heck don't want to have to learn 3 different interfaces for every office app, do you? Heck no.

Slovenix

Feb 24, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the OS's look the same at all. I have four devices right now. iPhone 6, Moto X 2nd Gen, Lumia 928 and Galaxy S5. They are all different. The iPhone is pretty much the least easy to customize and move around. My Lumia is by far the quickest and smoothest to jump in and out of email/text messging. So smooth.
The Androids are in the middle in terms of easy to use, but they are way more customizable if you are into that.

None of them really look the same.

Now, having One Note, and other office apps look the same across all platforms? That's genius I think.. pure genius. Why relearn a stupid interface when you go between models. Even more importantly, if you're in IT and you have to support Office 365 in a BYOD environment, you sure as heck don't want to have to learn 3 different interfaces for every office app, do you? Heck no.

Exactly. I also like that they share the same design. Even because then an app can get the same feel on all devices. Same = also means easier for the Devs to bring out features. Makes me want a WP ever more.

Just curious, what device do you find the most useful, entertaining, powerful?

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
The modern metro UI should stay EXACTLY the way is it, as it has proven to be a winning combination! Three percent market share! Keep the current design language and scare off dev's even further from a distance third place mobile OS. The thing that's so great about the current (dated) app design language...it stands a great chance of persuading even more large companies to pull their mobile apps (see Chase Bank).

Oh boy..

If design language was that much of an issue Android and iOS would've been dead long ago. Devs care more about where the users/money are. The reason for WP being in 3rd place(omg) is more complicated than any crackpot theory about Metro scaring people off.

TheCudder

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Oh boy..

If design language was that much of an issue Android and iOS would've been dead long ago. Devs care more about where the users/money are. The reason for WP being in 3rd place(omg) is more complicated than any crackpot theory about Metro scaring people off.

I'm completely aware of that --- the money was exactly my point. No one is looking to design an app that calls for a complete UI design overhaul for a mobile OS that only has a 3% share. Adopting a design language that's common in iOS and Android may give dev's a "well why not?" attitude when it comes to porting their apps over to Windows 10.

tiziano27

Banned
Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Oh boy..

WP's market share is explained by multiple factors. One factor is the app gap, other is a weak brand, other is the awful design. It's pretty stupid to say, "well, we don't have the apps, lets keep the horrible design, nobody is going to buy the product anyways".

These changes will improve the quality of the product, and reduce the cost of app development. It's a good start.

Kram Sacul

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
WP's market share is explained by multiple factors. One factor is the app gap, other is a weak brand, other is the awful design. It's pretty stupid to say, "well, we don't have the apps, lets keep the horrible design, nobody is going to buy the product anyways".

These changes will improve the quality of the product, and reduce the cost of app development. It's a good start.

Not sure if serious or joking.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99